Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor accident, driver requesting not to claim

• 21-04-2021 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Just looking for a perspective.
    My friend had a minor accident today.
    He was at the signal, but a car hit him from behind. They pulled over, shared insurance details.
    The driver of the car offered him to repair his car or even buy him a new car ( My friend's car was 08 octavia), but requested not to claim through insurance.
    My friend drove home, but had pain on his back, so currently in A&E for assessment.
    The driver called him again and offered assistance/money.
    Its quiet unusual. Why would somebody offer a new car or money?
    He reported this incident to his own insurance and awaiting the hospital assessment to proceed next.
    He is in doubt, whether to settle the cost of repair with him in person or to go through insurance. He don't want to make it a big deal, but want to proceed with caution.
    Any advises?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Could be anything. Sounds suspicious though. Could be they don't have valid insurance, they don't have a license, perhaps they were using the car for uninsured activity (courier etc) or its a company insurance and they don't want to go through the company. Were the garda called?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Could be anything. Sounds suspicious though. Could be they don't have valid insurance, they don't have a license, perhaps they were using the car for uninsured activity (courier etc) or its a company insurance and they don't want to go through the company. Were the garda called?
    The Gardai was not called at the spot. But reported the incident later. The said they would come later at his home when he is at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

A 2008 Octavia would be worth more than the loss of a no claims bonus, whole thing makes no sense, my guess is driver is not insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Don't try and settle privately. Very rarely ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Whocare

jinish wrote: »
    Just looking for a perspective.
    My friend had a minor accident today.
    He was at the signal, but a car hit him from behind. They pulled over, shared insurance details.
    The driver of the car offered him to repair his car or even buy him a new car ( My friend's car was 08 octavia), but requested not to claim through insurance.
    My friend drove home, but had pain on his back, so currently in A&E for assessment.
    The driver called him again and offered assistance/money.
    Its quiet unusual. Why would somebody offer a new car or money?
    He reported this incident to his own insurance and awaiting the hospital assessment to proceed next.
    He is in doubt, whether to settle the cost of repair with him in person or to go through insurance. He don't want to make it a big deal, but want to proceed with caution.
    Any advises?

A and e it pretty obvious now he looking for pay day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can claim from his insurance & so long as he repays the money to the insurance company he doesn't lose his no claims bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Go through the insurance all the way. I have never heard of one occasion where dealing with it privately went smoothly.

There is no benefit to your friend by avoiding the insurance. In fact, it will be considerably more of a headache.

He does not owe the other driver any favours. Why reward somebody that has caused you a headache of getting your car fixed. Having to arrange quotes, over and back with the car to the garage. Nah - f*** that. One call to insurance company and its sorted. Including rental car.

Also - it should be reported and logged with his own insurance company either way. Its not uncommon for the driver who admits fault and wants to settle privately to all of a sudden start lying and saying they are not at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

I don't think it's that unusual as most people know that if a claim is against them their insurance companies will screw them not only on loss of no claims bonus but also higher renewal rate and they won't be able to switch insurer for 5 years.

Given your friend went to A&E its pretty obvious this is going the route of a personal injury claim so it's probably an insurance job regardless.

Anyone who has the means might try to settle an accident on the side of the road by offering to pay for damages out of their own pocket but it all depends on who you're dealing with whether they'll be upfront or not, that goes for both sides. His insurance company would probably expect him to deny liability nevermind how it happened and god help you if you're both with the same insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Was the car badly damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

There’s nothing suspicious about it. An ‘08 Octavia is worth about €2.5k and a couple of years of increased premiums will cost about the same. That’s assuming the car is wrote off. If it needs repairs only, it could cost less. The other driver is just praying your friend wasn’t injured, but he might be out of luck there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Thank you all for the reply.
    The man hit him was a car seller. I dont even know if the car hit him belongs to him. He was pleading to him not to report to the insurer.
    Anyway, my friend was fine after the A&E assessment.
    There was damage to his rear bumper.
    I shared the link of this thread to him to make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Even if he has insurance he may have not disclosed stuff in the past and now has to avoid a claim if at all possible certainly has the potential to be messy .

Advertisement