Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Did anybody get the Spitfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Did anybody get the Spitfire?

Yes... Class

Yes... Class

Lovely, will purchase it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Lovely, will purchase it so.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

If its as good as their version for XP(which it does), then its well worth it. From what I understand the Mk I(a) is in production from Airplane Heaven

• Advertisement

Ciano will you be looking at converting those helipads to msfs?

Ciano will you be looking at converting those helipads to msfs?

To be honest I'm 100% focused on Xplane for the time being, but our publisher is converting our sceneries for MSFS. The helipads can't be converted though as they mostly use XP assets. I would like to make the helipads at some point though but the MSFS SDK makes no sense to me :o

I've just seen this actually. Looks decent :)

https://flightsim.to/file/9744/wip-irish-helipads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I've just seen this actually. Looks decent :)

https://flightsim.to/file/9744/wip-irish-helipads

Hey! They aint as good as yours! Interesting to see the same idea going over to MSFS all the same with the advent of Helicopters going to that platform.

Personally I will be staying with XP11. Fair play to whoever that person is, from assisting you, I understand just how tiring this stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ManUvFOXES

Hi all, looking for some advice re. running flight Sim 2020 on my PC. After the initial download, I go into the application (to presumably download the rest of the game!) and it just crashes to desktop at the first loading screen.

I have tried basically everything in terms of regular fixes e.g disabling anti virus (temporarily), run as admin, update graphics drivers, making sure windows is up to date (and windows store) and so on. I contacted Microsoft and they recommend I download from MS store, that doesn’t work.

Beginning to think my hardware might not be up to it? (16 gig ram, I5 - 10400F, GTX 1660 Super GC), the PC is new enough.

Anyone have any insight or advice? Getting desperate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Your hardware is more than capable of running it with medium/high settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yeah I can play it on med/high with just a 1050ti and an oldish Ryzen 5 so that's not the issue. If you got it through the MS store or Game Pass, I had loads of issues downloading updates that required throttling the speed to a fraction of what my Internet is. Since I had it on Game Pass, I gave up and got it on Steam instead and haven't had any issues since. Don't know why that helped really since it was the in-game update that was failing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Took a punt and bought it on steam. Interestingly, the game loaded for longer, and only crashed after I inputted my Microsoft account details. Hardly something to do with my MS account?

Wouldn't think so. I used my MS account with no problems. Is it downloaded now?

Adyx wrote: »
    Wouldn't think so. I used my MS account with no problems. Is it downloaded now?

Nope, just the same problem as before, crashes at same screen before a full download - Only difference is it loaded fine (for longer) until I logged into MS account. Just about ready to give up I think for a while. All good anyway as steam have already processed the refund.

That's unfortunate. Sorry I couldn't help more but I as I said, all my download issues were fixed by switching to Steam. I have a feeling Asobo were rushed a bit to get this out and have been pressured to add content over fixes since. A new developer called Working Title have been partnered so hopefully they'll help with a lot of the bug fixes. With a little work it could be really amazing so maybe try again in the future, especially if you still have Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

the C172 was the only aircraft that flew properly for me. just realised the difference between modern and legacy dynamics.

All good again. the EC 135 Helicopter is an absolute Joy to fly!!

I still far rather flying airliners in P3D. Not a fan in FS at all, even the CRJ! MK studios appears to be far better in P3D than FS also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi All,

Where would you suggest I buy the game from? Microsoft or Steam?

Thanks a mill.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is anybody else finding VOR very patchy? Some VORs work for me, and some don't. The one at Sligo airport gave me nothing. The one in Kerry airport, I couldn't get the needle to line up. The one in Gormanston, couldn't get anything. But the one at Heathrow works perfect. And the ones where I couldn't get anything, it wasn't like I was out of range. Still no response even within sight of station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

briany wrote: »
    Is anybody else finding VOR very patchy? Some VORs work for me, and some don't. The one at Sligo airport gave me nothing. The one in Kerry airport, I couldn't get the needle to line up. The one in Gormanston, couldn't get anything. But the one at Heathrow works perfect. And the ones where I couldn't get anything, it wasn't like I was out of range. Still no response even within sight of station.
    I would assume it's a mistake in the game's AIRAC with Sligo and Kerry, because they don't have VORs. For that kind of excitement you'd need to go to Knock and Cork respectively.

Sligo only has an NDB (which will only point straight towards the beacon itself, no option to select a bearing for it) and Kerry is similar but also has an ILS, meaning the Localiser would appear to be a VOR, but with a single fixed bearing for the runway. The OBS wheel won't be able to adjust for it.
    Best bet is to use the IAA charts. (Sligo's here, compare them to Knock and see the difference of available nav equipment).

Gormanston is actually closed, it seems some of the old data from FSX has carried over. It being in a new sim is about as useful as including Finner. Runway physically there, but closed.

• Advertisement

h3000 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Where would you suggest I buy the game from? Microsoft or Steam?

Thanks a mill.

I had issues with the Microsoft Store/GamePass version. Especially with updates failing. But that may have been due to it being the GamePass version. I got rid of GamePass and bought it on Steam instead and haven't had any update issues since.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I would assume it's a mistake in the game's AIRAC with Sligo and Kerry, because they don't have VORs. For that kind of excitement you'd need to go to Knock and Cork respectively.

Sligo only has an NDB (which will only point straight towards the beacon itself, no option to select a bearing for it) and Kerry is similar but also has an ILS, meaning the Localiser would appear to be a VOR, but with a single fixed bearing for the runway. The OBS wheel won't be able to adjust for it.
    Best bet is to use the IAA charts. (Sligo's here, compare them to Knock and see the difference of available nav equipment).

I wonders does the FMS data from Navigraph fix these? Even the cheaper data only sub. I haven't been to those airports in the sim yet.

Gormanston is actually closed, it seems some of the old data from FSX has carried over. It being in a new sim is about as useful as including Finner. Runway physically there, but closed.

I wonders does the FMS data from Navigraph fix these? Even the cheaper data only sub. I haven't been to those airports in the sim yet.

Where is FS pulling its navaid data from? And if they include a VOR such as Gormanston, why wouldn't it work in-game simply because its real life counterpart is closed? That would be an awfully confusing thing to do deliberately, especially for people who are not from the area. I'd just like every VOR I see on the world map to be functional and not have to go off on a fact-finding mission to see what the problem is.

Where is FS pulling its navaid data from? And if they include a VOR such as Gormanston, why wouldn't it work in-game simply because its real life counterpart is closed? That would be an awfully confusing thing to do deliberately, especially for people who are not from the area. I'd just like every VOR I see on the world map to be functional and not have to go off on a fact-finding mission to see what the problem is.

NavBlue I think. So it uses real world data including closed airports. That's why popular closed airports like Meigs are modded back in. I think the GMN VOR is still working though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

They shouldn't have included it. I don't think you can land there if you were flying a real plane (save maybe for a serious emergency) because it's a military airport. Being a military airport is also probably the reason they included it, for military practice of custom procedures that aren't published for the general public but that use the physical runway.
    I'm bad at sim flying, I'm not in the Air Corps, and I don't know the thought process of Asobo so other than that I couldn't tell you any more.

The workaround for serious flying is to use the same charts a serious pilot would use. Having a Garmin 530 in your Cessna might be handy, but if the avionics fail or don't include stored procedures for a particular aerodrome, having the actual approach charts to hand would be invaluable.
    An IFR student at Sligo Aero club might want to learn how to do a VOR/DME approach all they want, but if they're just doing patterns at Strandhill all they really can do is a NDB/DME approach

EDIT: I can't see a VOR at Gormanston. It seems to be a localiser so same deal as Kerry, a single beam in one direction rather than something that an Omni-bearing selector could manipulate.
    Skyvector's VFR map is a good resource here. It shows proper VORs like at Casement and Dublin as blue circles with notches with the frequency listed, and it shows NDBs and their frequencies as purple pattern circles.
    GHbjFvr.png

Bah I wasn't looking properly on Navigraph haha. Navigraph says there's an NDB and a DME there.

Been messing around with the VORs a bit more today. One thing I notice is that sometimes the VOR dials don't come alive until the plane is in the air, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent behaviour, because sometimes they will do so on the ground as well.

I have a question about triangulating position using two VORs in the Cessna 152. I put the VORDME freq at Dub Intl (Collinstown/111.20) into my Nav 1 radio. I then put the Baldonnel VOR into my Nav 2 radio at 115.80, and I took off from Dolly's Grove and flew around a bit. Then I put the game into active pause and lined both VORs up, making sure to have the FROM tag showing. Then I took both of these radials (as near as I could figure them from the dial) over to Little NavMap and drew lines from the center of each VOR using the relevant radial, with the idea being that where these lines cross should be the position of the aircraft. However, the actual position of my aircraft was about .5 nautical miles from this intersection. Just wanted to know how much the deviation really ought to be.

Sitting on the ground in the Cessna 208 in Dolly's Grove was a little more accurate, given I could get more accurate radials from the Garmin, putting my position within .2 nautical miles.

Edit/note: When plotting the radials on Little Navmap, magnetic declination was factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Aerosoft have confirmed that the A330 will be the first Airbus family aircraft to hit the shelf for FS2020

Has anyone figured out how to use the scenery editor yet? I want to clear a few trees off the virtual Lambay island, which I know shouldn't be there.

• Advertisement

Has anyone figured out how to use the scenery editor yet? I want to clear a few trees off the virtual Lambay island, which I know shouldn't be there.

This was one of the better videos that helped me get started, ask has changed a little but the same principles apply
    https://youtu.be/I3qU4xwVfik

Advertisement