26-02-2021, 20:37   #16
PsychoPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushtie View Post
It was registered to meet month end target.
Happens all the time. Just declare it off the road for February as advised above and tax as normal in March. Newly registered vehicles can be declared off the road up to 10 days after registration. I work in the industry. We do it all the time.
There's no point going through that hassle just for the sake of 20 or 30 euro
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 20:37   #17
newmember?

Quote:
Happens all the time. Just declare it off the road for February as advised above and tax as normal in March. Newly registered vehicles can be declared off the road up to 10 days after registration. I work in the industry. We do it all the time.
I don't think the option for February will be even available if he tries to declare it off the road - sure if that was the case we'd all be doing it coming near the end of every month.
26-02-2021, 20:39   #18
Cushtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoPete View Post
There's no point going through that hassle just for the sake of 20 or 30 euro
Literally takes 30 seconds on the link given above.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 20:41   #19
Cushtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmember? View Post
I don't think the option for February will be even available if he tries to declare it off the road - sure if that was the case we'd all be doing it coming near the end of every month.
It does for newly registered vehicles. We do it all the time.
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2021, 21:31   #20
newmember?

Quote:
It does for newly registered vehicles. We do it all the time.

Ah yeh...you'd think I'd remember seeing as I did the same before on a car I VRT'd!
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 23:53   #21
bazz26

Quote:
They also saved the OP 2% extra in VAT.
27-02-2021, 19:48   #22
Buffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandrain View Post
Hi All,

Got a call from the dealer today and informed me that new car will be ready for collection on Monday, but i have not signed any papers yet.

and i do have all details of car for motor tax purposes via phone call.
but i am not getting a car until 1st March. i know it does not cost much for one month road tax. but i have not got my car yet.
You're jumping the gun a lot here OP by trying to tax a car you don't have yet, you cannot pay for tax in advance unless you want to pay the current month also.

The car is off the road sitting at the dealers until March, so don't tax it until March.

As others have said, you will need to declare it off the road for Feb before taxing in March. (I'm assuming the dealer has it already registered in your name in Feb.)

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/faq

Quote:
Q14. I've just bought a vehicle - how can I make a declaration that I intend to keep it off the road for a while?

A14. If you have just bought a new vehicle or just acquired a second hand one and do not intend to use it immediately, you will have 21 days from the date of purchase (as specified in the registration document or the notification of transfer of vehicle ownership) to furnish a declaration of non-use. In that case, the declaration will commence from the first day of the month in which the sale takes place, or the first day of the month of registration in the case of new vehicles.
Make sure you notify the seller that you are intending to declare the vehicle off the road and that you need him or her to ensure that the change of ownership is notified to the National Vehicle and Driver File as soon as possible.

Thanks from:
01-03-2021, 09:13   #23
flyandrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-M View Post
https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login

Use the above link to log in, then declare your car off the road for 3 months or whatever the minimum period is.

Then on March first proceed to tax it and it will say “you are declaring the vehicle back on the road early and your tax will start from March 1st”

Simples

Edit: your log in is your new Reg number and last 6 digits of chassis
it does not seem like working for me. got it declared last night. but it asked me pay for last month motor tax

Last edited by flyandrain; 01-03-2021 at 09:16.
01-03-2021, 09:15   #24
flyandrain

just quick update for my matter, i end up paying 12 month tax plus one month in arrear this morning
Advertisement
01-03-2021, 15:51   #25
Buffman

Quote:
just quick update for my matter, i end up paying 12 month tax plus one month in arrear this morning

That's strange, did the dealer register it in your name more than 21 days ago?
01-03-2021, 16:16   #26
Jeremy Beagle

Quote:
You should not have had to. RF100 note 3E would have given you an exemption

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion