Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting up timber slatted shelves in a water tank closet

• 18-07-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello

Would like to put up two slatted wood shelves for storage use in a small closet that also contains a water tank and boiler.

One wall is solid the other two dry wall (I think. Not solid anyway).

Would two layers of battens be the way screw fixed to the three walls, then place strips of timber acrossways to create the shelves?

Or

Possible to not attach screws to the walls at all and build up from the bottom of the floor pieces of wood in the corners and elsewhere built up to possibly create a platform for the shelves.

Pics attached

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

doh777 wrote: »
    Hello

Would like to put up two slatted wood shelves for storage use in a small closet that also contains a water tank and boiler.

One wall is solid the other two dry wall (I think. Not solid anyway).

Would two layers of battens be the way screw fixed to the three walls, then place strips of timber acrossways to create the shelves?

Or

Possible to not attach screws to the walls at all and build up from the bottom of the floor pieces of wood in the corners and elsewhere built up to possibly create a platform for the shelves.

Pics attached

Thanks in advance
    In mine I just fixed two by twos onto the two side walls and then cut two by ones to sit on these to form the shelves. Works perfect, any diyer can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you will need to leave access for maintenance for the boiler or else have it all removable

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

doh777 wrote: »

I would think placing 3 batons for each shelf would suffice, left right and back. ( back may be difficult because if pipe work running up the wall )
    If you deem it a necessity to have one at the back it doesnt have to run the full width, but ensure it stands proud enough of the pipes not to allow your cross baton rest on it.
    you will need to leave access for maintenance for the boiler or else have it all removable

In order to facilitate this and because it would be easier than screwing cross strips into the batons, you could build the whole shelf separately and just place it on the 3 support batons, it would therefore be removable.

Be sure you know there are no pipes or electric in the walls and make sure to use proper fixings for the supports !

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭doh777

Thanks for all replies. Had thought of the access for maintenance. The idea to have a single movable shelve is great. Thanks for that. So battens in the walls, left right and back. I’ve little experience with screwing into dry wall but it will/should be stronger enough? And the idea to somehow build from the bottom not using any battens or wall fixings is a non runner?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Marks line where you want your baton to go and use a screw to find the joists in the wall. You should find them at the start and end hopefully one or two in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What do you plan on putting on the shelves?

Either find the studs as keithdub suggests and screw into those if they're in suitable locations, or buy plasterboard fixings (you can get these in Woodies).

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

awec wrote: »
    What do you plan on putting on the shelves?

Either find the studs as keithdub suggests and screw into those if they're in suitable locations, or buy plasterboard fixings (you can get these in Woodies).

Find studs using stud finder will also highlight pipework or cables. Borrow or buy they are not expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Another way to provide maintenance access, is to stick to two battens, once either side (I don't see the point in one at the rear). Then staple/glue a strip of velcro 'male' to the top of the battens and bits of 'female' velcro to each slat. You can get velcro in a haberdashery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

No need for velcro to hold battens in place, in my own hotpress I added additional storage shelving which is easily removed for access or maintenance (hot water cylinder will fail at some stage). Fix support battens to left and right hand walls to support your shelf. Cut shelf "spar" battens to length (a few mill short of the ope width to allow easy fitting and removal. Adjust spacing as required, then glue and clamp two short battens underneath (maybe 150mm or so from each end of the spar battens). When dry the shelf the clamps can be removed and hey presto!

Advertisement