Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

And during lambing season too! New grass growth will be halted temporarily while there is a fodder crisis.

Yes, there is going to be a major crisis in the agricultural sector the longer this goes on.
    The good thing about the snow is it will give protection to the grass from being burnt by the frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Guys... Even with all the excitement in the run up to next week, please don't forget to check on vulnerable and elderly family, neighbors and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Everyone make sure the nearest lamppost outside your window is turned on! :pac:

Surely you won't need it in the South or East?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I would like to give my appreciation to all the model onlookers for this cold spell( especially Kermit de frog , JCX BXC and Blizzard 7 and to anyone else who contributed over the last two weeks or so , it’s been a nailbiting past few days, enjoy the cold spell lads. Also make sure elderly are fully equipped on their basic needs and make sure pets like dogs come indoors, as the extreme cold makes landfall on our shores next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oh the joys of having a work from home option!! :D

I've always loathed people who can do that :(

Is there a limit to how many days a week/month people can do this, generally? Where is the line between convenience and taking the piss? Granted next week many people physically won't be able to get to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just one thing to note on the Met Eireann advisory, as a few people have made the comment to me "it's only yellow", ALL weather advisories are yellow as they are well in advance of the event.

So if anyone says Met Eireann are only at yellow, the colour is not relevant all advisories are yellow, the text contained in that advisory though is relevant and important:
    Exceptionally cold weather is forecast for next week with significant wind chill and severe frosts. Disruptive snow showers are expected from Tuesday onwards, particularly in the east and southeast.

As Kermit mentioned we are likely to see Orange and possibly Red warnings in the coming days.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes, there is going to be a major crisis in the agricultural sector the longer this goes on.
    The good thing about the snow is it will give protection to the grass from being burnt by the frost.

So the west will suffer from the lack of snow, with frost under clear skies, is there any justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys no mention at all of the west or midlands in the forecast. Shall we be sunbathing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sdanseo wrote: »
    If there has been any more than a couple of cm of snow at that stage - which is likely - there is about a 50/50 chance of the runway being open in between clearings.

Luck of the draw so I reckon. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So the west will suffer from the lack of snow, with frost under clear skies, is there any justice?

My guess would be the whole country eventually gets snow as it is more than likely a prolonged event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys no mention at all of the west or midlands in the forecast. Shall we be sunbathing?

Yup. The sun tan this week will come with free hypothermia.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Posting in here before my inevitable 'snowing in Lusk' post in a few days time... only get to say that every few years :pac:

Sorry, I hope this is within the charter, but could someone far more techy than me re post the Gif of Kermit typing his report on that typewriter? Was on the previous thread that was closed.

If you can, I hope the real Kermit forecaster doesn't mind.

But I understand if it is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

https://m.facebook.com/MidlandWeatherChannel/

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Surely you won't need it in the South or East?

Wexford for the win !

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm confused about something actually!
    Back in 2010 we got down to -13-14 or possibly lower. I was told it was colder due to the snow fields.
    Now I'm reading it could be coldest in the West later in the week due to clear skies but no snow??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

km79 wrote: »
    Back in 2010 we got down to -13-14 or possibly lower. I was told it was colder due to the snow fields.
    Now I'm reading it could be coldest in the West later in the week due to clear skies but no snow??????

Both are condusive to creating colder temperatures.probably not as cold as 2010 given there won't be any snowfields and we are into early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wind will be stronger in the east . But more got to do with the fact the east could be under snow clouds for most of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

I presumed this thread would be going crazy now but it seems fairly quiet given the number of members

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone care to make a prediction as to whether DUB airport will cope!

It won't, for several reasons. They don't have the amount of ploughs and blowers to deal with this, they will be overwhelmed all over the airfield. Even if they did, they haven't enough de-icing rigs to keep the planes remotely on schedule. Also, Dublin's most frequent traffic is to/from the UK and northern Europe, those locations will be fecked as well, even by their own standards,so aircraft will not be where they are supposed to be.

IMO, from Wednesday on, air travel should be written off until further notice.

• Advertisement

Currently a countrywide cold event , snow pretty much nailed down for east and south .Showers could travel west if the intensity is there, showers that don't exist yet are hard to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Was out waiting for a train earlier in Dublin and pretty sure it was the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced. Been in the house an hour now with the heating on full blast and I’m still shivering. Thank Christ I had a few jars in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

I have the heat and fire on all evening, the temps on my (small and amateur) weather station are normal but it does feel much colder somehow.
    Was out waiting for a train earlier in Dublin and pretty sure it was the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced. Been in the house an hour now with the heating on full blast and I’m still shivering. Thank Christ I had a few jars in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Alcohol will actually give you a false impression of heat, it will cool the body quickly

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It won't, for several reasons. They don't have the amount of ploughs and blowers to deal with this, they will be overwhelmed all over the airfield. Even if they did, they haven't enough de-icing rigs to keep the planes remotely on schedule. Also, Dublin's most frequent traffic is to/from the UK and northern Europe, those locations will be fecked as well, even by their own standards,so aircraft will not be where they are supposed to be.

Well I suppose for a once in a decade event you cannot expect full throttle either.

However, I am sure sis will know the situation from her European connection airport in time.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »

Disagree, snowfall amounts aren't known and in a situation with showers, there may only be a few kilometers between places with 30cm and places with 3cm.

Even if they get alot of snow, if there's a lull of a good few hours runways will be cleared and ops will resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

As much as the build up to this event will excite all us long term lurkers on this forum in the coming days , which I include myself.

Maybe we can all pause and take the opportunity over the weekend to reach out to our TD's on social media and request that plans are put in place , to provide shelter for those fellow citizens who for what ever reason are living on the streets etc.

This is looking to be an unprecedented climatic event for the main areas of population of this Great Island.

Lets have it remembered for happy SNOW memories like I have of 1982 and not for it's body count.

@campaignforleo has been informed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Maybe with the mixture of clear skies over the west and the wind blowing over snowfields in the east towards the west....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

This is going to be a disaster from a farming point of view. Hardship on man and beast after an already very challenging previous 7 months.

These threads have saved me thousands since storm Darwin. Always had enough time to secure and board off tunnels and take down crop covers and such.
    Have been harvesting and storing veg since tuesday and have a naturally cool back bedroom cleared out for a couple thousand seedlings.

just some frost fleece to cut now tomorrow for the tunnels and I am ready.

Have at least a months veg stored for the family was afraid of the frozen ground.

And I was counting my lucky stars the other day that I stalled on getting animals. Hope it isnt too hard on ye.

So a big thanks to all the forecasters.

Oh and can do veg deliveries around West Cork next week if anyone is stuck

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

After many months of just following the weather on boards, and never registering, I have decided to sign up. Very very excited about next week. It could be a once in a decade event. I’m on the Kildare and Dublin border, rural area (well as rural as this part of the country can be) and am expecting a serious pasting of snow this week. I work from home so while I will be inconvenienced if I get snowed in, my work won’t suffer to much providing it doesn’t last longer than a week.

However, I am due to be in Sligo on Thursday for a meeting and while the NW is not expecting to get to much snow at this stage, I’m keeping an eye on Thursday nonetheless as some on here have mentioned the possibility of nationwide snow then. Could be a skype job.

Great work with the forecasting folks! I mentioned it to my neighbour this afternoon and he was grateful for the heads up. Told him to check out this forum too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement