Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Regarding the fears of banditry. I've tried to work out how you could do this, but if the purpose is to save up a handicap for a big prize event or whatever, it would have to be very, very well planned out. With a 20 round look back, that's almost half the year for regular golfers, which would mean dragging your arse around the back of the field pretty much throughout the main season.

Trust me, I know people who have been quite open to me about doing this (on a similar system to what we are heading for) knowing they can get away with throwing a few doubles on their card because they are in a fourball comp and their partner has the points secured so they can "mind" their own handicap.
    Russman wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.
    You'd want to have a pretty good head to be carrying around your best 6 of last 20 scores, and what rounds will be dropping out when you complete your current round etc. etc. That's before considering how a 16 handicapper delivers a good round to order. I'd have thought the new system makes it more complicated than currently simply accumulating 0.1s.

I think once we are using it, we will know and understand it a lot better and just like we know if we are .1 away from an increase now, in the future we will know what a net 70, 75 or 80 will do to our handicap.

I say we, but I understand not all golfers are dialled in that deep, but lets face it, we are all golf nerds here aren't we!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

it would definitely help if the GUI put out an example that we could follow and apply to our own handicap to see where the proposed new system will leave us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think once we are using it, we will know and understand it a lot better and just like we know if we are .1 away from an increase now, in the future we will know what a net 70, 75 or 80 will do to our handicap.

I say we, but I understand not all golfers are dialled in that deep, but lets face it, we are all golf nerds here aren't we!!!
    The thing is, it's not just your eight best that you have to keep track of, but all twenty as well. A bad round might only have the effect of bringing your ninth best round into play and will have no effect in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

The thing is, it's not just your eight best that you have to keep track of, but all twenty as well. A bad round might only have the effect of bringing your ninth best round into play and will have no effect in itself.

Exactly, and if your 8th best round is also your 20th round in the sequence that will be dropping out once you complete your current round.......I dunno, no doubt some people will be able to track it, but it seems a lot of hassle, especially when a 3 shot increase is automatically halved to 1.5 shots.
    You'd have to play a lot of bad golf to replace of all 8 of your "best" rounds depending on where they fall in the sequence.

yea but no. you don't need to know all your scores.

i'll try summarise and hopefully you get the gist.

all you actually need to know going out for a game is, is card 20 one of your best? what is your worst card of your best 8? and what is your best score of your other cards?

is 20 one of the best? yes, then you can already work out what your handicap will jump to if you shoot outside your best 8 range

is 20 already a dud, then you know your handicap wont change if you shoot outside your best 8 range

now if you shoot inside the range, you know what is dropping and what you average is, better than average will mean a cut, worse will mean an increase

easy peasy :):D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

slingerz wrote: »
    it would definitely help if the GUI put out an example that we could follow and apply to our own handicap to see where the proposed new system will leave us

One of the handicap guys in our club picked a few players including himself and analysed their handicaps under the new system (best 8 out of last 20) and found that they would have stayed the same as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Had a quick try using the formula posted earlier in here just for my last twenty scores in my home club.

GUI is 9.6

For my last 20 rounds, using a Multiplier of 0.93 I get 9.576, using 0.96 I get 9.885, so pretty marginal difference on that basis for me.

Throw in my round from New Forest in the middle of the year & I'd imagine it would take a big hit downwards, but I don't have the rating/slope for the course so can't really generate a meaningful number for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

How will the system work for inter clubs and scratch cups.
    Say the junior cup is on a hard course and your index on that course will drop under the handicap for the comp same for say a scratch cup

mike12 wrote: »
    How will the system work for inter clubs and scratch cups.
    Say the junior cup is on a hard course and your index on that course will drop under the handicap for the comp same for say a scratch cup

Not 100% sure I’m correct here, but I think you’ll have your handicap index of, let’s say, 4.0 at the cutoff point, but your course handicap for a given venue may be different. I’d assume the rules for eligibility would be based on your base index rather than your course handicap....? It’d be the same for all 4.0 indexes so the venue wouldn’t really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭clog

Here's a link to the new manual, ignore the date it has been moved to November for those in CONGU.

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Handicap/Rules-of-Handicapping_USGA_Final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭G1032

Folks

Just came across this as I've been away from the game for a few years

Am, this sounds nuts? Can you basically set your own handicap? It's based on best 8 scores from last 20 rounds? And practice rounds are counting?

So coming up to whatever competition you want to target you can play 20 rounds (including rounds of just 9 holes), play deliberate muck for those rounds, and set your handicap?

Is this correct or am I wide of the mark? (Not going reading 100+ pages of the new system rules)

G1032 wrote: »
    Folks

Just came across this as I've been away from the game for a few years

Am, this sounds nuts? Can you basically set your own handicap? It's based on best 8 scores from last 20 rounds? And practice rounds are counting?

So coming up to whatever competition you want to target you can play 20 rounds (including rounds of just 9 holes), play deliberate muck for those rounds, and set your handicap?

Is this correct or am I wide of the mark? (Not going reading 100+ pages of the new system rules)
    Casual rounds have been part of the handicap system for some time now. Nobody bothers putting the cards in though. And fair play to anyone who's able to play twenty rounds in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭G1032

Casual rounds have been part of the handicap system for some time now. Nobody bothers putting the cards in though. And fair play to anyone who's able to play twenty rounds in a couple of weeks.

Well say 3 weeks so? Let's say you don't have children or any huge obstacles that prevent you from golfing. You're a teacher and have the summer off. You could easily play your 20 rounds in 3 weeks, especially if 9 hole rounds count. It's not that inconceivable really......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Well say 3 weeks so? Let's say you don't have children or any huge obstacles that prevent you from golfing. You're a teacher and have the summer off. You could easily play your 20 rounds in 3 weeks, especially if 9 hole rounds count. It's not that inconceivable really......

There is a 3 shot soft cap and a 5 shot hard cap

And it be as suspicious as hell/ 9 hole rounds count as half rounds

It's still difficult. You also have to have somebody with you to mark your card. You also have to note your intention to put the card in before you start your round. Nine hole scores have been qualifying for years too, so that's not new either. And you're completely ignoring the fact that handicap committees would spot this behaviour a mile out.

Also individual hole scores are limited to nett double bogey, so a quad bogey (for example) could be stepped back to a double. There is also a 'memory of demonstrated ability' caveat in the system that has yet to be defined, but which would seem to be designed to filter out the kind of sandbagging you're suggesting.

The best bit of the new system imo, is that it now means that you can go abroad and play in opens with your new WHS handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The best bit of the new system imo, is that it now means that you can go abroad and play in opens with your new WHS handicap.

I am not sure opens are as prevalent abroad.

In fact now that you can declare a round before a game for handicapping purposes some have speculated it may be the end of opens?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I am not sure opens are as prevalent abroad.

In fact now that you can declare a round before a game for handicapping purposes some have speculated it may be the end of opens?
    That's been the case for a while now. At least two years iirc. Not sure why that would make any difference to open competitions though. Clubs hold opens usually to get people in playing on quiet days and they're good for funds. Players enter them to get a cheaper green fee and play other courses. And no, there wouldn't be as many open competitions as here. They're more in the line of tournaments than the kind of weekly opens we have here or in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,020 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not 100% sure I’m correct here, but I think you’ll have your handicap index of, let’s say, 4.0 at the cutoff point, but your course handicap for a given venue may be different. I’d assume the rules for eligibility would be based on your base index rather than your course handicap....? It’d be the same for all 4.0 indexes so the venue wouldn’t really matter.

But isn't the issue that all the 4.0 indexes are only 4.0 on their own course?
    Maybe some will be 5.0 on the venue and maybe others will be 3.0, which is kinda confusing. (to me!)

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe some will be 5.0 on the venue and maybe others will be 3.0, which is kinda confusing. (to me!)
    I think the index is calculated to take the slope and course rating out of the 'handicap'. A kind of base level off a hypothetical base level course.

Edit: Yep, here's one I prepared earlier:
    Let's take an 8 handicapper from Castlemartyr (White tees SR 120, CR 70, Par 72). On 01/11/2020 the best 8 of his last 20 rounds average 81.2. His handicap index is thus ((81.2 * 96%) - 70) * 113 / 120 = 7.48.

So now he goes out and plays the white tees again. His course handicap is (7.48 * 120 / 113) + (70-72) = 5.95 (6). If he plays off the blue tees (SR 133, CR 73, Par 72), his handicap is (7.48 * 133 /113) + (73-72) = 9.8 (10).

Why would you bother though ?
    Is someone that desperate to try win a classic or captains prize ?
    You're always going to have some tiny percentage of golfers trying to game the system no matter what it is. I doubt its possible to have a 100% watertight setup.

• Advertisement

My understanding (which could be completely wrong !) is that your index could be, say, 4.0 but your course handicap on your home layout could be different depending on the slope and course ratings of it. So your index is 4.0 but off the white tees in your home course you're off 4.6 maybe.

no don't think so
    My understanding (which could be completely wrong !) is that your index could be, say, 4.0 but your course handicap on your home layout could be different depending on the slope and course ratings of it. So your index is 4.0 but off the white tees in your home course you're off 4.6 maybe.

yes this is my understanding

I thought it was different from the above, so if a group of golfers from different clubs who all have say a 10 handicap index go play a open they will all be playing off the same handicap?

My understanding was that if u go play a harder course than your own u would get more shots and a easier course u would get less.

Say from roganstown I have a 10 index, if I go play Swords open I thought it would mean I play off 8, if I go play the European I would play off 12.

I thought it was different from the above, so if a group of golfers from different clubs who all have say a 10 handicap index go play a open they will all be playing off the same handicap?

My understanding was that if u go play a harder course than your own u would get more shots and a easier course u would get less.

Say from roganstown I have a 10 index, if I go play Swords open I thought it would mean I play off 8, if I go play the European I would play off 12.
    You're both right. Can't see anything in Russman's post that contradicts that.
    Your handicap index is independent of any course/set of tees. Your handicap will change from course to course and set of tees to set of tees.

You're both right. Can't see anything in Russman's post that contradicts that.
    Your handicap index is independent of any course/set of tees. Your handicap will change from course to course and set of tees to set of tees.

I think my original question was say for a junior scratch cup where the cut off was 5,
    U could go to one course and be in theory playing off 3, if they want a level playing field should the cutoff be your playing handicap for that course.

I think my original question was say for a junior scratch cup where the cut off was 5,
    U could go to one course and be in theory playing off 3, if they want a level playing field should the cutoff be your playing handicap for that course.

Yeah, but what they are saying is that every index 5.0 would be in theory playing off 3.0 on that course so it makes no odds.

So how do they (fairly) calculate everyones index if its based on your home course rating (which can vary wildly depending on the time of year it gets rated)?

So how do they (fairly) calculate everyones index if its based on your home course rating (which can vary wildly depending on the time of year it gets rated)?
    The home (or any constituent) course rating is taken out of it with the calculation of the handicap index.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Your handicap index is your base handicap, example, I'm an 11 handicap at the moment on a very hard course. So my index could be, say 9, meaning 9 is my handicap that will be adjusted based on the course slope. I'd be a 8 on an easy course or could be a 13 if I was playing Augusta.

• Advertisement

essentially you don't have a handicap anymore. you get a handicap index instead.
    its a subtle difference, but it evens the playing field when compared against the current system which is very course dependent.
    the index is calculated based on your scores which can be played over 20 different courses of different difficulty. it doesn't matter, they will all be adjusted based on the slope of those courses and playing conditions

Advertisement