Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday Snow Potential

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Next GEFS run at 3.30pm should tell more. I think the system might only skim the southern/sotueastern coastline. I will post updated charts when they appear online

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Latest Update from the Met Office. Snow for England and Wales?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see from that UKMO video, where he mentions heavy snow for Wales, if you look a few frames before, you can see the same symbols/hatch pattern for the east coast of Ireland (Dublin and Wicklow anyway).

A dump of snow would be satisfactory compensation for not having a storm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Latest Update from the Met Office. Snow for England and Wales?

So does this mean the south east can forget about it as will miss out again? :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jo06555 wrote: »
    So does this mean the south east can forget about it as will miss out again? :(

You'll know in the next 15 minutes :p

• Advertisement

Upgrade for snow on Thursday night as the LP system has tracked a tad north. Note that this does not appear to be a disruptive snow setup but has the potential to drop a cm or two in many parts of the southeast at least.
    185226.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Awesome...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I could almost burst with excitement at the prospect of snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The Waterford snow shield could be broken:D

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    I could almost burst with excitement at the prospect of snow :D

Give it until the next GEFS run at 9.30pm before getting too excited, Karen. The positioning of the low pressure system heading from our south toward the english channel is key. If it shifts any further south then the snow potential will also shift south. If it tracks further north then better again. Ultimately, the intensity and longevity of any precipitation also remains uncertain. Either way, parts of the country deprived of snowfall for 12 long months are in their best position to see snowfall yet this winter.

Just hang on to your hats for another GEFS run or two I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

Yay, I'm pink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Give it until the next GEFS run at 9.30pm before getting too excited, Karen. The positioning of the low pressure system heading from our south toward the english channel is key. If it shifts any further south then the snow potential will also shift south. If it tracks further north then better again. Ultimately, the intensity and longevity of any precipitation also remains uncertain. Either way, parts of the country deprived of snowfall for 12 long months are in their best position to see snowfall yet this winter.

Just hang on to your hats for another GEFS run or two I say.

I don't understand any of that stuff you just wrote except about being in a position to see snow and that is enough to me :D This is way more interesting than studying for my finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

come on east cork west waterford! i wanna see the white stuff friday morning! lol. i wont get too excited till after isee what 9:30pm has to offer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So how's the City of Cork looking for snow? Not very good I bet:( I'm worried also that if we do get snow then the rest of the country will get the real arctic blast in January and we'll have nothing and it will be all "well you did get snow in December...."!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

leahyl wrote: »
    and we'll have nothing and it will be all "well you did get snow in December...."!

Yip! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Not looking good for Donegal then :( Would you be able to tell me how many meters Buncrana is asl? Thanks ;) Donegal gets good coverage but not so much here in Buncrana .. Even Derry seems to do better than us weather wise and thats only 14 miles away. Snow dance continuing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    So how's the City of Cork looking for snow? Not very good I bet:( I'm worried also that if we do get snow then the rest of the country will get the real arctic blast in January and we'll have nothing and it will be all "well you did get snow in December...."!

there is a lot of preciptiation to our west? i wonder will this be all of rain or if there is a chance of sleet/snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

there is a lot of preciptiation to our west? i wonder will this be all of rain or if there is a chance of sleet/snow?

Who knows at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 eadire

wohoo snow for carlow yes cant wait for it

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Would you be able to tell me how many meters Buncrana is asl?

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm
    You can find your elevation here

• Advertisement

The Waterford snow shield could be broken:D

I really hope so but we now have to wait til 9.30 what happens then? Will we know or will we need to wait for another update tommorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Had a surprise snowfall here in Naas this morning , that left a nice dusting, still some on the parked cars and ditches where i am!

But about time we see a proper chance of something better:)

I really hope so but we now have to wait til 9.30 what happens then? Will we know or will we need to wait for another update tommorrow?

Or until the Great Oz MT speaks!

With sea temps still relatively high in the Irish Sea, could or probably will be a very marginal set up for the east coast. Elevation and distance from the coast will be the key to getting any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

We'll have a better chance of knowing. You can never really say you know what the weather will do, even in the next few hours, but the 18z run should, in theory, give more accurate information than the 12z, because it has more data available to it, and is making predictions less far into the future.

So we won't know for sure, but we'll know more. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

East coasts are going to struggle due to onshore winds to get snow at sea level but there may be snow for a time as the precipiation clears and winds go offshore - however a light wind may mitigate against this somewhat and allow snow to sea level on coasts at times.

11121600_1412.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

.8 deg c here on Camden street Dublin 2 found an old mercury thermometer.

darkman2 wrote: »
    East coasts are going to struggle due to onshore winds to get snow at sea level but there may be snow for a time as the precipiation clears and winds go offshore - however a light wind may mitigate against this somewhat and allow snow to sea level on coasts at times.

11121600_1412.gif

So as it stands inland south east may be better off :confused:

damn, im just underneath the pink in the south east:(

only one wrote: »
    damn, im just underneath the pink in the south east:(

You in Waterford? I'm just wating for the pink to shape itself around Waterford and fill us with rain while the rest is snow :(;)

• Advertisement

east cork/west waterford boarder. ya i can see that happening too :mad:

Advertisement