Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck in a lease in student accommodation - is eviction a possibility?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am currently living in on-campus student accomodation. However, my timetable for semester 2 involves only 2 days in college and it is no longer viable for me to be paying the crazy price of over €115 per week for a room in an apartment with 4 others and a shared kitchen. I have spoken to the administration and I am not allowed to move out AT ALL as I will be left with the remainder of the rent (about 1600 between now and the end of may).

They are getting strict on noise and social gatherings and with RAG week approaching, a representative came around to all of the apartments and said there would be zero tolerence in the coming weeks and anyone found to be haveing a social gathering or party would be evicted immediately... Sounds stupid but could i get evicted to get out of the lease???? are there reprocussions??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well I remember from my days in campus accomodationm that if you were evicted you forfeited your rent for that term. Rent was paid in full at the start of term. I'd imagine something similar is in place where you are. But check your lease (or more likely a licence to reside) to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Are you in Corrib Village? Welcome to the world of student accommodation, where landlords will take the absolute piss x

If you are in Corrib, or maybe other places are like this, you will have already paid a large part/all of your rent in a lump sum (another piss-take) so there isn't really any way of getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can move out. They can't insist you stay. However, depending on the lease, you may be liable for the rent to the end.

Even if you get evicted, you may be liable. Be very careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 audiabt

Nope, not in corrib village... im in maynooth... they said im bound my the lease to pay until the end unless I or they can find someone else to take over it...i cant remember phusically signing a lease though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Most leases will state that a tenant is liable for the rent for the duration of the lease, regardless of whether the tenant leaves. However, as was suggested by your college accommodation office, you could get somebody else to take over your room, which would mean you could leave without being liable for the remainder of your rent.

Although you may not have signed a lease, you probably agreed to adhere to terms and conditions when you took the room (the exact terms will vary from college to college).

Regarding eviction: I'm pretty sure that even if you get evicted you will still be liable for the remainder of your rent, so I'd be very careful about going down that route. It would probably just be much more trouble than just leaving the apartment.

I would think that your best option would be to try and find somebody to take over your room. It shouldn't be too difficult to find somebody as there are always students looking for accommodation on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 blackboots

Call to the office and then write to them asking for a copy of your lease immediately. If you have no lease then normal PRTB rules should apply and you just need to give them the appropriate notice.

Did you give them a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackboots

convert wrote: »
    Although you may not have signed a lease, you probably agreed to adhere to terms and conditions when you took the room (the exact terms will vary from college to college).

I don't think that would stand up at all - I really think if you haven't signed a lease you just need to give a about month's notice.

Call the PRTB just to make sure? Also find out if you're registered with them - will help in getting your deposit back.

Is €125 per month expensive - what price can you get something for in Maynooth? It seems outrageous that a college of all places would be charging above market value for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

blackboots wrote: »
    Is €125 per month expensive - what price can you get something for in Maynooth? It seems outrageous that a college of all places would be charging above market value for rent.
    €125? €115 a week, so about €460 a month. I'm guessing this includes bills... it's a premium as it's "on campus" me thinks. When in Carlow in a student (non campus) house, the rent was about €260/€300 a month. There was campus houses at €1600 a term, and these were next to the college.

OP: have you check with the college if anyone was looking for a room? Also, put an ad in the college paper that you're moving, and if anyone wants to move in. You'll get people who are in fúcking sh|tholes looking to "upgrade", and you'll get post-graduates or whatever looking for a place near the college. IIRC, on-campus accom isn't always easy to get in Maynooth, and thus there may be some sort of demand for it.

Advertisement