Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

Just like that Crazy Frog. Where is he now?

ha....ha......ha......ha.......ha.........ha.........ha
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

tiptap wrote: »
    can't believe there is so much hype about this,
    he wins one tournament...great..well done..

what has he done since...

for god's sake, people are talking like he's the hero of all heros

A steady start to life on tour, more than 200k in the bank in the process, a recent top 3 finish, regularly making cuts, and signs of clear progression in all aspects of his game.

He's done quite a lot actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

mag wrote: »
    pat murray is one good recent example

Pats exclusion this year was an embarrassment to the gui. Our irish champion deemed not good enough for the irish team:confused:.

But going back to baltray in 07, that year the gui moved the interprovincials to baltray to give the selectors a chance to set up the course and use the interpros to aid team selection. I for one felt i was in the running for a spot as id won a cship, and added two quarter finals. I unfortunatly was ill that week and didnt make the first mornings 4somes. I did however recover to make it for the rest of the week, and being paired with Niall Kearney in the 4somes was a huge indication i was being looked at. I was pretty sure i was getting a reserve spot(which was going to be a start as 2 players were known to be unavailable) after Niall and i went 8 under par and 6up after 11 in our last match having been followed from the start by the selectors. I won my singles that eve also to finish the week with 5 wins from 5 matches. So how a chap (dublin club) got selected having only contested 1 championship (last 16) and winning 1.5pts from 6 at interpros(playing at no 9 in singles) got selected ahead of both me and douglas Peter o keefe, who won 5 from 6 playing at no 1 that week ill never know!

Apologies mods for being off topic but someone asked for my feelings on that year.
    The explaination i got? I didnt play all 6 matches....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

A steady start to life on tour, more than 200k in the bank in the process, a recent top 3 finish, regularly making cuts, and signs of clear progression in all aspects of his game.

He's done quite a lot actually.

and this warrents all the attention he's getting
    you'd swear he's already won back to back majors the way people are going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

What attention? Your not his older less talented brother?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

tiptap wrote: »
    and this warrents all the attention he's getting
    you'd swear he's already won back to back majors the way people are going on

Begrudgery at its finest.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

You'd swear that he was 49 and his career had been a let down after a promising start... maybe he was on tv3 or something.
    You'd swear it was a common everyday thing to be one of the best amateurs in the world. (think about it, imagine being the best in your club.. then your county... province, country... then the world).
    Imagine winning a European Tour event, let alone your home open, let alone as an amateur.
    Imagine you turned professional only a little while ago and accounted for yourself with some strong results since then.
    Now imagine you're only a young lad.
    Now imagine you're on a golf forum, let alone an Irish golf forum and imagine who we'd be discussing and supporting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

with steve williams out of work for a few months should lowry jump ahead and go for him?
    his experience would be invaluable to the offaly man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

conno16 wrote: »
    with steve williams out of work for a few months should lowry jump ahead and go for him?

pls tell me that's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

you should have known better as to even ask !!

Conno your a pest but a very funny one ...fair play !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    you should have known better as to even ask !!

Conno your a pest but a very funny one ...fair play !

ouch,chritmas party last night my only excuse

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Your cracking me up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

conno16 wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

heavyballs wrote: »
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo
    Pro Shop in 5 years? Still have the same opinion now?
    Maybe he can use some of the 75,000 he won in Abu Dhabi to set it up.
    Hopefully this weekends performance will bring a halt to the critiscim being thrown Lowry's way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

I know it is very early in the season to look at stats but it appears he has worked hard on his short game over the break

http://www.europeantour.com/default.sps?pageid=127&pagegid={A0F2E0A0-AE7C-47B5-95BB-2FA0BBF0AEBD}&playerId=36489

1 putt down per round and sand saves are up

Hitting 2% more green in reg

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

great start to the season from him, looks to have been working hard on his fitness during the winter period. Four sub par rounds, hopefully he can keep that sort of consistency up. Id imagine this result will give him great confidence for the season ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

:) Well Done Shane, only 2 bogeys all week.
    another 75K € in the prize money.
    3 ahead of him are all in top 20 in world, in fact 8 of top 20 played in this so good ranking points on offer as well.
    Great start to the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes great to see him do well this week in good field.

I liked what he said about his win in Irish Open when he said that was all in past now.

Good see him taking his game serious and no doubt there more wins on the way for Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Delighted for Lowry this week. Great birdie on the 18th, good shot from the bunker and than holed a good putt, fair dues to the lad. I suppose he's down to play in the other two desert events, will look forward to watching him.

One small thing I wish Sky Sports would show him more often, I watched the highlights just there, was out playing this morning and missed the action live, I'd say they only showed 3-4 shots for a guy who finished fourth on his own, surely he deserved more attention, shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

jimjo wrote: »
    Delighted for Lowry this week. Great birdie on the 18th, good shot from the bunker and than holed a good putt, fair dues to the lad. I suppose he's down to play in the other two desert events, will look forward to watching him.

One small thing I wish Sky Sports would show him more often, I watched the highlights just there, was out playing this morning and missed the action live, I'd say they only showed 3-4 shots for a guy who finished fourth on his own, surely he deserved more attention, shocking stuff.

We saw a lot of Alvaro Quiros and Chris Wood. Both had very average rounds.

Another couple of performances like this weeks from Shane and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Harrington used to get this treatment from Sky until he won 3 majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Lowry up to 89 in the world now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

One small thing I wish Sky Sports would show him more often,

did you notice every time they did mention him it was the same thing over & over "Irish 3 open champion winner as an amateur..........." The need to research / watch him a bit more!!

Well done to the lad - great to see another IRL there on the top of the leaderboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Fair play to him, 4 under down the back nine on sunday. Hope he pushes on from this.
    syngindub wrote: »
    Harrington used to get this treatment from Sky until he won 3 majors.

Well this is just not true.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Lowry up to 89 in the world now

Anyone seen conno16??? :(

dont blow the load just yet gorfield
    1 swallow etc
    overall the field was very average
    and its so early in the year most people have yet to even start practicing properly
    from poulters twitter account i see he actually only played 1 round prior to this weekend

great for the lad though, i'd say he could buy a whole chipper down in tullamore with that 75k

A wealth of useful information as always in your posts conno.......average field?? Garcia,stenson,karlsson,kaymer,casey,mcilroy,poulter, all 3 hansens,kim, villegas, ogilvy, noren, clarke, mcdowell, jiminez, westwood.....to name but a few.....indeed an average field.

have you stuck some wedge down on him for a major this year?

I'd say the auld wans down in georgia that stitch that green jacket together are having sleepless nights already :D

Your knowledge amazes me........you know the criteria for playing the masters? Looks like it alright.......

• Advertisement

if big shane lowry keeps burning up the field like he did this weekend surely the invite committee will have to extend an offer to the bloke from offaly?
    particularly now in light of tigers probable absense from the field
    they need a big personality to fill his shoes after all
    i cant wait til shane and john daly hook up

Advertisement