Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fill gap in external facing pvc windows frame

Options
  • 15-07-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Basically, the house's original late 70s aluminium windows were replaced with brown mock teak looking pvc about 20 years ago. The edges were sealed with brown matching mastic.

I'm wondering if instead of sealant, could a fine mix of play sand and cement be used to fill the all round 5-8mil gap.

I ask as the budget won't stretch to swap out windows and I want to paint the brown pvc a grey colour and you can't get that colour in mastic.
    Re-cementing / plastering the tiny gap would also give a much clearer defined edge up to the window frame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sand will crack and be gone in a year.

What colour are the window reveals?

But anyway, you can get silicone in every colour inc grey.
    https://www.woodies.ie/tec7-grey-1051325?utm_source=google_shoppinggclid=Cj0KCQjwpavpBRDQARIsAPfTwixfMAgOS1df_6D9cxVClIIJKuaXGtXQoXm-hM48ghJ4pc38wZXOt5oaAn0ZEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You can even order any RAL colour silicon online

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sand will crack and be gone in a year.

What colour are the window reveals?

But anyway, you can get silicone in every colour inc grey.
    https://www.woodies.ie/tec7-grey-1051325?utm_source=google_shoppinggclid=Cj0KCQjwpavpBRDQARIsAPfTwixfMAgOS1df_6D9cxVClIIJKuaXGtXQoXm-hM48ghJ4pc38wZXOt5oaAn0ZEALw_wcB

Thanks for that. When you look at new houses, the cement goes right up top the window frame (unless I am mistaken) so I would have thought that a fine mix of fine sand and cement and applied in a gun;then feather it out, would do the job and last.

Windows are this colour and texture/imprint:

rosewood-on-white-upvc-300x300-1.jpg
    Concrete cills, not PVC as in the image above.

Thanks for the tec7 suggestion, I'll have to compare the grey I bought with the tec7 grey.

mloc123 wrote: »
    You can even order any RAL colour silicon online

Thanks for that. I may need to go this route in order to colour match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bunderoon wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I may need to go this route in order to colour match.

Ebay RAL Silcones , i got a box from the UK and it was less than half the price of suppliers here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you sure you want to go down the route of painting the windows. You do realise that once you do it you are tying yourself into painting them periodically forever.

Are you sure you want to go down the route of painting the windows. You do realise that once you do it you are tying yourself into painting them periodically forever.

:) Yeah, I've read up on it and the process and not that happy about it. TBH, I'd prefer the pain of painting them every few years to the pain of looking at them.
    I would expect that I'll be changing these in about 5 years time.

It looks like getting a good key'd basecoat will make them last longer that expected - for painted PVC.

Just be aware that life often gets in the way of painting schedules and they could end up looking manky and flaking for ages.

Unless the woodgrain finish has deteriorated severely and is unsightly then I would be extremely slow to go painting them unless there was a very convincing reason to do it. Painting is an expensive, time consuming bitch of a job. If you have a 2 storey house you are also introducing a working a height hazard into your home maintenance routine. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP I don't know how you are going to prep these windows before painting every year?
    Its not like you can sand them down before painting...

I would say it is highly inadvisable to paint.

I crack up when i see people painting hitherto unpainted render and cills! I wonder to the realise the hassle they are creating for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Properly painted UPVC windows will last a number of years. Sand the surface with a rough grit to create a key, use the correct primer and paint... They will easily last the planned 5 years without needing to be done again.

Properly painted UPVC windows will last a number of years. Sand the surface with a rough grit to create a key, use the correct primer and paint... They will easily last the planned 5 years without needing to be done again.

That's what I'm thinking. I've sand paper, sugar soap wipes, zinsser 123 external primer and weather Shield satinwood paint in a soft granite colour. If I get the matching grey tec7 to seal the edges, then I think I'll be good to go.

Re-roofed the house 6 years ago and went with black facia and soffits, so the brown really stands out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ill second that . It was done to a house I was working on a few years ago and they still look pretty good
    Chat to a good painter or if you're doing it yourself a good paint shop and you will get the right stuff and advice to make sure it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Painting aluminium.PVC. Velux, or any double or treble glazed windows
    or doors is a job for the patient.
    Unless you mask everything off, you will have a very amateur job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

A bit of a left field suggestion but could you use vinyl wrap like they do on cars , can be got in most colours easy to trim and apply plus very durable.

Edit: had a quick Google looks like you can use it https://www.vinylrenovations.co.uk/services#windowwrapsection

Car99 wrote: »
    A bit of a left field suggestion but could you use vinyl wrap like they do on cars , can be got in most colours easy to trim and apply plus very durable.

Edit: had a quick Google looks like you can use it https://www.vinylrenovations.co.uk/services#windowwrapsection

Thanks for that.

Looks like a very neat and tidy job. but cant see any diy kits and even if there were, it would be a skill in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

bunderoon wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Looks like a very neat and tidy job. but cant see any diy kits and even if there were, it would be a skill in itself.

Lots of car vinyl wrap companies around to supply the vinyl , a heat gun and youtube and off you go.

Lots of car vinyl wrap companies around to supply the vinyl , a heat gun and youtube and off you go.

Even better. Thanks a million for that.

Advertisement