Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vietnam visa

• 29-08-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all,
    l have read a few threads and getting mixed views so i will just ask ,was just wondering the best way to go about getting a Vietnam visa ,we decided to go their and its too late to send away passports, is it recommended to fly in or border-cross on land? were in Bangkok for 4 days so has anyone info on the Vietnam embassy there, anyone been recently?

any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/

use this done it and it works just fine, easyest way i think,

you have to think about one thing , really the only resion Vietnam has a visa is to make money off it after that they realy dont care this is how this site works so well.

o yes with that you have to fly in... all info is on the site so go read it if then you have a qustion re that process do let me know and ill tell you what i can,

btw vietnam is great have fun, and when crossing a road the trick is to just walk out at a nice speed, dont run or stop as if so they will hit you, if you just walk they will all go around you, its the coolest exp of crossing a raod you will ever have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rbyrne1888

thanks for the reply , i cant see anything that mentions crossing by land it seems to be just aimed at airport ? what airline would you recommend to fly in their with?

ya i only went in and out of hanoi, it was fine, (ill point out airport is not that great in terms of shops when leaving but what would you expect there anhow!

i know of 4 other people that used this site as well and all worked out,

so id recomend you use them, what happens is you give them your info and pay them some money and they will then email you a letter of invation etc
    just print out all that they send you and keep it safe,
    on there site they will tell you everything you need so just check there i think its 2 passport photos , the stuff they send you and some US dollers (cant remember how much)all on there site tho,
    then when you land just before imagration there is a box off to one side (in hanoi anyhow) go up there hand them in the info pay the man and he there and then will give you ur visa on the passport, no qustions or anything then just join the que and pass though imagration and your in!

if i was going back again id use them and do it that way, you can also get a longer visa then you can get in a embassy from them as well so thats handy!

Used that site aswell.. If you don't plan of flying, just get the visa in Bangkok or Laos. You don't have to worry about the embassies etc. Your hostel or hotel will do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

I've just booked an Intrepid trip leaving on 6th August going to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. I'll have to arrange a Thai visa to get into Bangkok on the 7th August & won't have time to apply to London for my visa to Vietnam before I leave. We'll be crossing the border from Cambodia - can I just get the visa on the border or how else can I get one..? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

doohey wrote: »
    I've just booked an Intrepid trip leaving on 6th August going to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam. I'll have to arrange a Thai visa to get into Bangkok on the 7th August & won't have time to apply to London for my visa to Vietnam before I leave. We'll be crossing the border from Cambodia - can I just get the visa on the border or how else can I get one..? Thanks

No need to apply here, You can get visa when acrossing the border to Cambodia or Vietnam. Not a problem. How long are you planning to stay in Thailand ? If more than 30 days, apply for tourist Visa here, if less than 30 days,no need to apply for visa, you get one at BKK Airport. If you stay in Thailand for 30 days then go to Veitnam, you get another 15days visa back to Thailand if across the border, 30 days if by flight. Enjoy your trip.

Really!!? That would be brilliant if so! Am only in Bangkok for three days before leaving for leaving for Cambodia so I can just get a visa in the airport when I arrive? Was there two years ago but was staying for 5 weeks & applied for visa then so just assumed it was the same this time around..
    Do you have a website link for your info..?

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/

Yes, get the visa at the Airport if staying less than 30 days. Free of Charge.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement

doohey wrote: »
    Thank you!!

Enjoy the trip.... Try bring back the trip report from Veitnam and Camdodia if you can.... I am going on 4th September for 6 weeks. Thailand only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

dont forget to get your vietnam visa in advance.

Can I not get this on the border crossing from Cambodia? Going to be in Bangkok for two days - would this be enough time to get an agent to get one for me? Or where in Cambodia would I get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

Its not available at the border, chainsawman was wrong. You could get it in Bangkok in that time if its not a weekend when you are there or get it in Phnom Penh in Cambodia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Get the vietnam visa in PP much easier as you only have 2 days in Thailand(I think your doing the right think only staying 2 days in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam way more interesting countries you'll really enjoy it happy travels).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

How long does it take to get the Vietnam visa sorted from Ireland through a travel agency? Also, has anybody used websites like http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/ ? Are they reputable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

yeah you have to get a cert for your visa in advance and have a passport sized photo with you. you can get the cert online. we got ours from London first time travelling to Vietnam took about 2 to 3 weeks you have to post your passport to London which is a major risk at this late stage. so check out the online cert. 2nd time we thought we could get it on arrival but couldn't, luckily there was some corrupt police on that day that would gladly except 100 US dollars from each of us for the visa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody going to vietnam this summer?

Trying to sort a visa is a bit of a nightmare.

You used to have to send your actual passport to England . Now they seem to be changing to a loose leaf system where you can send a copy of your passport.

But they don't answer the phone and when I emailed them, they emailed me back the old system, where I have to send my actual passport.

Anybody know how to go about the loose leaf system or has anybody done it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

You used to have to send your actual passport to England . Now they seem to be changing to a loose leaf system where you can send a copy of your passport.

But they don't answer the phone and when I emailed them, they emailed me back the old system, where I have to send my actual passport.

Thanks.

I travelled there last September and used the visa on arrival option. I filled out a form online and received a copy of a letter approving my entry on the selected date. There was a fee of about 30 euro for this. I used a crowd called vietnam-visa.com for this and I had no issues.

When I arrived in Ho Chi Minh airport I handed in the letter, my passport and a couple of photos and got my visa then. There was another fee of circa 35 US dollars. The process took about an hour at the airport but was fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Same as, we used starvietnamvisa.com.
    It's only valid at airports though, and not sure if at some or none at all land crossings. If you're entering by land you'll need to check that out first or apply for regular visa, if you're going to one of the other countries, like Thailand first, you can apply there provided you have a couple of days to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I used myvietnamvisacom and got visa on arrival, its cheaper and easier than sending your passport to the UK (as long as your entering via air into Hanoi, HCMC or Danang)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I am also trying to apply for a visa to Vietnam through the Vietnamese Embassy in London. They want me to use the online application process. How do you pay? I can transfer the money via online banking but they want proof that I have paid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

going in July for 3 weeks, where is the easiest/cheapest place to sort out a visa ?

also anyone with any suggestions on a itinerary , flying in and out of ho chi minh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

used a site like this https://www.vietnam-evisa.org/processing.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwjca5BRCAyaPGi6_h8m8SJADryPLhsUf9NHeaHh777Yi-S7CC94H8NM7_0RDRRW3DvaRaZhoCcDLw_wcB

Mekong delta for a day trip or longer if you have the time is definitely worth it. Cu Chi tunnels are also cool. Can't remember what other stuff we did near the city but plenty in the city itself but it is tiring at times. We were on a budget though and would have been nice to have a good hotel near the opera house area. Still close to loads of pubs and restaurants but around the hotel itself would be a little quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marl88

Thanks.

Hi I know this is quite old but just wondering how you got on with vietnamese visa? I am travelling there next month but not sure about posting my passport to London. The embassy website says I can get a loose leaf visa by emailing copy of details instead of posting but the email reply comes from a Gmail account which I find strange. Just wondering if you user this loose leaf visa system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Search boards, lots of similar threads. Mostly when flying in people use an agent to get the visa on arrival preapproval, e.g. sites such as starvietnamvisa.com or myvietnamvisa.com who you pay to get you the approval letter

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

I recently applied for a loose leaf Vietnam visa. Didn't have to send in my passport, had to make payment first and fill in application form
    http://visa.mofa.gov.vn/_layouts/registration/ApplicationForm.aspx
    and received response from them at Gmail address.
    All above board and got the loose leaf visa the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonny_be_good

2smiggy wrote: »
    going in July for 3 weeks, where is the easiest/cheapest place to sort out a visa ?

also anyone with any suggestions on a itinerary , flying in and out of ho chi minh :)
    Hi !
    Did you sort out your vietnamese visa yet ? I'm heading over in 4 weeks and i live in australia but i have an irish passport. The vietnamese embassy in Ireland says to apply for a "loose leaf visa" which they can send to ireland. But not sure what happens if your applying from Australia !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anspinc

Hello,

I am applying for a loose leaf visa to the Vietnamese embassy. Can anyone advise of the proof of payment that is required? I am applying online so I don't think a bank draft will suffice. Would a screen shot of online bank payment do the trick? This option seems quite basic.
    Any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Hi Anspinc,
    Im a little confused by your question ,but when we went last year ,this we found to be very easy .
    Apply for Vietnam visa on arrival - 100% online application: instead of coming to the Embassy as before to get Vietnam visa, you just stay at home, click apply Vietnam visa online to make visa application, make online payment, receive the visa pre-approved letter online, fly to Vietnam and get their Vietnam visa stamped at arrival airport.You pay the visa fee on arrival in US dollars.
    Hope this helps

Advertisement