Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

But you said it yourself:

Lower clocks
    Engineering sample
    Doesn't beat your CPU at 4.4GHz?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

guess i was hoping they would match intel ipc performance, but from that my 6700k @ 4.4 will be much better for gaming. but as ye said it was an engineering sample with lower clocks, maybe the memory was crappy, maybe turbo/xfc wasnt working right. Guess we wont know until the actual benchmarks are out. Just shocking to see a graph where intel have the top 6 out of 11 cpu's after all this hype :(

Ya need to stop basing your reaction on leaked engineering samples.

But Zen will still win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Serephucus wrote: »
    But you said it yourself:

Lower clocks
    Engineering sample
    Doesn't beat your CPU at 4.4GHz?

ah im not expecting it to stand toe to toe (at least at stock frequencies) with an overclocked skylake on the ipc front :o im trying to justify buying ryzen haha,
    that and i just really want intel to take a good massive boot up the arse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No real interest in that particular chips gaming performance,8c/16t is pointless for gaming currently. Its the 4c/8t 6c/12t chips that are most likely going to be the sweet spot for gaming. Hopefully over clock a bit better too due to the lower core count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm not wildly convinced by the games used, many of which are not that CPU heavy at all - although ARMA 3 is a good indication of IPC as it doesn't scale well across cores, but hard to see how good it performs in that title given it's an average fps across all titles.

Would like to see benchmarks of titles like Warhammer TW, GTA V, Battlefield 1 online, ARK, etc to show real raw CPU performance. Arma 3 is a good one as mentioned for IPC also, so I'd love to see individual figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

guess i was hoping they would match intel ipc performance, but from that my 6700k @ 4.4 will be much better for gaming.

IPC (i.e instructions per cycle) as a metric is independent of clock speed (i.e. cycles per second). My take from Bloodbath's post was that the AMD chip was getting a 97.3 score running at 3.15/3.4ghz versus 107.4 for the i7 6900k. So if the production version of the AMD chip is actually 4.0/4.3ghz it should be about 22% faster thus that 97.3 score would jump to 118.7 leaving it top of the table. That's assuming the benchmark in question scales linearly with CPU clock speed, which may or may not be the case, often as you improve performance on one component the bottleneck moves to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ryzen 5 1600X Cinebench scores and CPU-Z bench scores. At stock Clocks so when overclocked should score more.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1600x-cinebench-r15-performance-confirmed/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-processor-benchmark-cinebench-leak/

smacl wrote: »
    IPC (i.e instructions per cycle) as a metric is independent of clock speed (i.e. cycles per second). My take from Bloodbath's post was that the AMD chip was getting a 97.3 score running at 3.15/2.4ghz versus 107.4 for the i7 6900k. So if the production version of the AMD chip is actually 4.0/4.3ghz it should be about 22% faster thus that 97.3 score would jump to 118.7 leaving it top of the table. That's assuming the benchmark in question scales linearly with CPU clock speed, which may or may not be the case, often as you improve performance on one component the bottleneck moves to the next one.

as far as ive heard the 1800x (top chip) is 3.6/4ghz so about 11% faster, pretty much on par with the 6900k i suppose, if it comes out at 500euro or so it will be a fantastic deal

Ryzen R 1600X Cinebench scores and CPU-Z bench scores. At stock Clocks so when overclocked should score more.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1600x-cinebench-r15-performance-confirmed/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-processor-benchmark-cinebench-leak/

that 1600x is looking mighty impressive

Hype-Train.jpg

:P strange to have hype for a cpu release, must be back in the amd phenom 2 days that amd where last competitive in the desktop space

• Advertisement

that 1600x is looking mighty impressive

I know it beats out my current CPU anyway.

multi threaded it would beat mine at stock too, i wonder will there be much overclocking headroom on these, if they overclock well to 4-4.5ghz herself will be getting an i7 6700k build for microsoft office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You're a 4460 too aren't you?

I must say, I'm going to be sorely tempted to upgrade if these scale well down the chips

You're a 4460 too aren't you?

I must say, I'm going to be sorely tempted to upgrade if these scale well down the chips

No a Hexa core Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz.

It's on the ancient X58 platform. I'm not fully sure if I will upgrade yet as my system plays all my games brilliantly. But once final prices are out and I see what the reviewers say, I may upgrade. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

as far as ive heard the 1800x (top chip) is 3.6/4ghz so about 11% faster, pretty much on par with the 6900k i suppose, if it comes out at 500euro or so it will be a fantastic deal

It should be roughly 20% faster than the results shown which would push it well ahead of the 6900k. XFR was disabled for these benchmarks as well afaik which may push results even higher if you're on good cooling.

The 1600x is the one I'm most interested in as it will be around €300. The 1800x is going to be €600 which is too much for me.

The i7 7700k is probably still going to be the better gaming processor with slightly better IPC and overclock speeds but I'll take an extra 2 cores and 4 threads and €100 cheaper.

I'm thinking of doing a full AMD build with Ryzen and Vega with a red and black color scheme in a red and black NZXT H440.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I reckon the 1600X is about where i would be looking at too out of the line up. Extra 2 physical cores and extra 6 threads compared to my current 3570k,all i really need to know now is how well they overclock. If can get 4 - 4.5Ghz on air i reckon id be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Budgeting around €650 for a Ryzen upgrade.

1600x is going to be roughly €320. Mid range board €140. Stupid ddr4 has nearly doubled in price so 16gb will be around €120 and a Noctua NH-D15 to cool it at €80.

Should get around €200-250 for my i5 3570k + 212 evo, 8gb ddr3 and an asrock z77 pro4 board so overall a fairly cheap upgrade. It's going to be a good time for people looking for quad core intel bargains on the second hand market.

lol :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Spare a thought for those who are getting married and won't be getting a new system till September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Spare a thought for those who are getting married and won't be getting a new system till September.

September of which year though as whats yours is hers and whats hers is hers also.
    You might find that money being invested in other things first....

• Advertisement

My Xmas bonus this year was abysmal.

...but then again, my system is barely a year old.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    September of which year though as whats yours is hers and whats hers is hers also.
    You might find that money being invested in other things first....

aint that the truth :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Preorders starting today on some sites:
    The final summary points are:

Ryzen 7 is 8 cores, 16 threads for the 3 SKUs.
    Rated clock speeds range across the 3GHz spectrum and push into 4.1GHz for the flagship 1800X.
    Pricing is significantly lower than performance-comparable Intel chips, based on AMD’s performance numbers – Ryzen 7 1800X (3.6/4.0GHz, XFR) is $499, Ryzen 7 1700X (3.4/3.8GHz, XFR) is $399, Ryzen 7 1700 (3.0/3.7GHz, 65W TDP) is $329.
    Pre-orders start February 22nd 6PM UK time with the official release date being March 2nd (likely to be March 3rd delivery date for pre-orders).
    The new RGB AMD Wraith cooler will be bundled with Ryzen chips (but not all SKUs and not the highest-end ones).

The cheapest Ryzen on offer today outperforms the 7700k in multithreaded benchmarks, the middle and top ones beat out intels top i7 extreme in same benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Gonna be waiting for benchmarks, but I might be moving to Ryzen.

Just... because.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Does anyone know which/if/when UK/EU sites will be taking pre-orders ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

will56 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which/if/when UK/EU sites will be taking pre-orders ?

Overclockers apparently but I havent seen anything on their site yet. Their affiliates caseking would be too.

Yeah, same.

Upgrade to 1600x or 1700 for me around July or September I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Any point in jumping from a i5 4690K at 4.5 to a ryzen chip for gaming purposes?

Faster ram and cpu might make a difference but would it be worth the cost for a jump?

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Any point in jumping from a i5 4690K at 4.5 to a ryzen chip for gaming purposes?

Faster ram and cpu might make a difference but would it be worth the cost for a jump?

If your aim is 60fps gaming with a high-end graphics card, then no. The 4690k is more than capable of that in modern and upcoming games.

Advertisement