Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah all these early big screens were multiple monitors. Same with those multiplayer Xmen games. Must be a pain in the face trying to calibrate them alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I built a 32k RAM expansion for my early issue 1 Sinclair Spectrum 16k from a PCB design I was sent which I've since uploaded here. I have 2 additional PCBs if anyone is interested.
    It's now a power house of a 48k machine now :D

Looks like this but with a purple PCB (I need to open up the Speccy for a photo);
    495988.jpg
    Worked first go :) well impressed. Cost wise, it was at-least half the cost of the real thing from eBay.

I plan on building a ZX Nuvo 128. Its a Speccy 128/+2/+3 clone. I have all the parts, just need time/energy.

and photos for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    and photos for anyone interested
    Such a neat fit. Would you have preferred a green pcb, or happy with purple?

I have a lovely plus 2 you could have in exchange for that old Issue One. Don't bother checking on prices, it's a fair swap, honest guv. ;) If you ever see any issue rubber key, in working order for around the thirty euro mark think of me. I had to sell my rubber key Issue Two when bills got too high.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Such a neat fit. Would you have preferred a green pcb, or happy with purple?

I have a lovely plus 2 you could have in exchange for that old Issue One. Don't bother checking on prices, it's a fair swap, honest guv. ;) If you ever see any issue rubber key, in working order for around the thirty euro mark think of me. I had to sell my rubber key Issue Two when bills got too high.

Purple is OK, ensures folks don't think its an original from Sinclair I guess.
    Keep an eye on eBay, quite a few rubber keyed 48ks go for just over that price - just ignore the BuyNow items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finally got a 6 button Megadrive adapter for my jammacon working. Using a CPLD to mimic the controller and seems to be completely accurate so far, all SMD components too so a bit of pain to assemble.

49260031721_c3427d06f9_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Would anyone have this rom type handy, and be able to burn the correct file?? It's for a Konami xmen. Thanks!

DSC-1930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Finally got a 6 button Megadrive adapter for my jammacon working. Using a CPLD to mimic the controller and seems to be completely accurate so far, all SMD components too so a bit of pain to assemble.

49260031721_c3427d06f9_c.jpg

Great work, and i presume this fits on the green Jammacon?
    Colour me interested for one.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Great work, and i presume this fits on the green Jammacon?
    Colour me interested for one.

Hmm depends on which version you have, will only fit on a V2 board - you can tell by the size of the daughter board connector (or the version number on the back).

Hmm depends on which version you have, will only fit on a V2 board - you can tell by the size of the daughter board connector (or the version number on the back).

Will take a look later thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

working on a jamma board repair, it's tricky to test having to hook it up to the jamma harness in the cab and power the cab up each time. I really need to get a super gun. Would anyone have any recommendations? They seem to vary in price on ebay from €50 to €300

you can make one with just a cheap psu (even a pc one) a and jamma loom and a few button!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

made a repro of the Taito pc030 custom IC used on Arkanoid, Bubble Bobble, Scramble Formation, Legend of Kage and other Taito pcbs . It's the big red IC that handles coin I/O on these boards. it breaks off easily and is often missing on these boards.

92637996_10158232529248276_6901448798933876736_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=ls0WXS9-_dwAX9zKZOP&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=bf516c7e7af7282ffade2f48d8a6c020&oe=5EB75FB6

o1s1n wrote: »
    She lives, SHE LIVES!!!
    IMG_20180314_213020189.jpg

Managed to get the unit to display on my monitor in Dev mode - which then allowed me to connect it to my PC via a network LAN and access the developer mode from an internet browser.

Used this to force it to boot in software mode (which is XMB)

Still wasn't getting any picture - then I realised the issue was my monitor again. Broke out the projector (which likes HDMI!) changed the PS3 to output VGA from HDMI and XMB appeared on the monitor.

The blueray drive doesnt want to accept discs (they'll insert on boot but don't do anything) - but that's another days problem!

Just got the DECR-1000A from o1s1n on Friday, shes the size/weight of a rack mount 2U server :) I have not so fond memories of balancing Dell servers on my head while rack/stacking them.
    After a quick tinkering with it, looks like the drive mech which accepts the disc is knackered. On a hunt now for a working early PS3 optical drive, don't really want to burst open my 60gb unit. The control board is fine so will just move that around so avoid the issues with the drive being paired with the unit which this might be.

Update: drive batch ordered up from eBay, just need the drive loading mech so those should sort that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fair play dude! Be great to see it working properly again.

A lot of those units I've seen for sale seem to have the same problem with the optical disc drive. Having a slot type drive on a dev unit probably wasn't the best idea given their proneness to breaking and developers not exactly treating things with kid gloves.

On a site note, funny how much stuff we move on to each other via this forum - I don't own any of the main items in that photo anymore :D

DECR-1000A is with yourself, LMD is now in the possession of your bro and I think Dinorex has that BVM 1454D...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My games room is looking like something they will eventually find my dead body in.
    I just seem to be buying masses of great stuff, over the years.
    Then it just sits there, awaiting cataloging, as the room grows ever darker.

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.gif?ssl=1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My games room is looking like something they will eventually find my dead body in.
    I just seem to be buying masses of great stuff, over the years.
    Then it just sits there, awaiting cataloging, as the room grows ever darker.

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.gif?ssl=1
    Just move the collection to a new location, forces you to either display, play or bag up & sell what you have duplicates of or don't really want.

PS3 Dev system update - also found a dev controller and the WiFi antenna on fleeBay so that's also ordered

Have been doing lots of mods, repairs and tweaks during my extended locked in the office time.. Thankfully Farnell & Mouser are still delivering :)

Recapped a bunch of computers, have being doing a lot of work upgrading my Amigas and getting a good bit of use out of them in particular the A2000.

Respun all the Jammacon pcbs to use smd parts as getting thru-hole parts is getting much harder now, also got working prototype adapters for original Xbox and PS3.

Built a new rig for testing, basically its a supergun squeezed into the jamma connector but is a lot neater and more robust than my previously setup.
    Also built a new power supply for the desk which powers most things, outputs 5,9,12,-12 and 9ac so works with most console and computers I tend to use.

49809894648_8b8c238287_z.jpg

Made up a couple of test controller pads as well again for convenience, D-pad isn't brilliant but does a have nice NeoGeo clickyness about it :) Have a couple of blank pcbs for them if anyone wants them.

49810447996_50ac7105e7_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My gut says but some but I know they'd never be used!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My gut says but some but I know they'd never be used!

Ha ha I know the feeling, I been slowly flogging stuff I'm not using.

As for the controller pcbs, they're going free to whoever want them, the minimum order from the factory is more that I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Is there a rom burning service in ireland at all?

Would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

Has anyone tried the replacement N64 sticks from Zedlabz? My own are getting to the point of no return

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

"Respun all the Jammacon pcbs to use smd parts as getting thru-hole parts is getting much harder now"

That's pretty cool! Where do you get the PCBs made? Do you do the SMD assembly yourself?

JLCPCB make the boards for me, good quality and quick enough service. Ya do all the assembly myself, smd isn't too bad once the parts aren't too small :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Dont know about zedlabz but Ive tried a dozen different ones and they all have deadzones and usually too stiff/clunky and nothing compared to the real thing.

I've successfully revived any of mine by doing the below

I think I'll try this with one of mine, and try the gamecube replacement for the other. I was never a fan of the stick on the n64 and mine are so loose now that theres about 20 degrees of movement on it without any response.

sugarman wrote: »
    If you're not a fan of the controller and want a GC style stick, look at the Brawler 64 or Retro Bit 64 controllers. I haven't tried them myself but they look decent from the reviews I've seen of them.

Alternatively there original Hori controller the Retro Bit is based off, but being 20+ years old they can also be a bit hit and miss condition wise and are a little on the pricy side.

The Brawler 64 looks great, I think I'll wait for their website to get back up and running rather than ordering the new analogue stick

Fenrir ODE is now available to pre order for Saturn.

https://8bitmods.com/fenrir/

SAT-FENRIR-MAIN__72950.1588156904.jpg?c=2

Watch out for compatibility as one of my Saturns wont take it.
    Supports all console regions (only for VA0, VA0.5 or VA1 consoles with a 20-pin drive).
    Type-1: VA0-VA1 (20-pin cable)
    ODE: Rhea
    CD-ROM drives:

JVC ENR-007B or D
    Hitachi JA0027
    NOTE: VA0 units have the power supply (PSU), buttons and LEDs attached to the upper case.

type-1-saturn-va1.jpg?w=300&h=264

Good details on that here :
    https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/saturn-details/

Amiga work continues, this time my old A500 getting a few bits done.

Full recap to the A500, repaired battery leakage on a A501 memory expansion and added a A590 hard disk I got recently. Bit of sunshine over the last few days cleaned up the A590 nicely and I'd an old 40MB SCSI drive to throw in it.

All working great now, boots for the harddrive, got whopping 3MB RAM installed and keeps the time :)

49879896786_b5accfb695_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

While in lock down I've been catching up on some old projects I put aside over the years. The latest is to finally get a solid state drive inside my iMac G3(bondi blue).

I decided on the below CF to IDE interface. I have a load of the normal CF-IDE adaptors laying around that I've used on Amiga's, but I got this one as it allows both that larger 40 pin IDE(which i need for the MAC) as well as the normal smaller 44 pin(Amiga, laptops). Definitely recommended if your looking to convert an older PC or MAC to CF and need the option of having both the 40 and 44 pin headers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026OYEEQ/

mei8Qt5.jpg

O9WRhWG.jpg

• Advertisement

It's that day of the year again when we've enough sun to do a bit of retrobrighting. I got these a while ago and though it time to clean them up.

Ya not in great shape, top cover is the worse piece in a lovely shade of Devils colon.

49916552728_8c2e12bb9e_z.jpg

One manky controller as well, second one wasn't too bad, assembled one is my own just for colour reference.

49917067196_314037e85e_z.jpg

So after 2 days treatment, things are looking much better :) Controllers are perfect, top piece still a bit off I might give it another go but fairly happy with the overall result.

49917067126_c955c16a74_z.jpg

Advertisement