Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.irishgraveyards.ie

• 14-01-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Do any of ye use this website to search for the graves of your ancestors?
    If so, what are your opinions on the site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Do any of ye use this website to search for the graves of your ancestors?
    If so, what are your opinions on the site?

Haven't used the site so far. I use Findagrave mostly & one of my contributions to genealogy is to upload photos & inscriptions on to the site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have family in their coverage area its useful (I do); but they have very little outside Galway/Mayo/Donegal. Also some transcriptions are quite poor and were probably done by photograph and not inspection of the stone. Their process encourages corrections from locals but if there's nobody left in the area that doesn't turn up anything.

I've also found a comprehension error of relationships between people in the grave but it was a very complex setup (parents, children, sibling of the parent, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

I've found a few names from Mayo and Donegal that I was searching for, quite useful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A very easy site to use but many of the photos are of poor quality meaning inscriptions are nigh on impossible to read.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement