Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve

• 10-07-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here look forward to this part of Christmas? It's my favourite part of the season, as I go out for a meal with my parents, and we ring in the new year at home.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I find New Year to be extremely depressing. Christmas is over, I'm back to work the next day, and then there's the hell of Summer/humidity to look forward to as well.

There's not a single good thing about New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Use to be great when I was younger and good excuse (not that I needed one!) to go out on the lash. Now it’s just a normal night at home, might order take away and since moved to current house, all neighbors meet out on the road at midnight which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We go to the panto and for some food and then home to ring in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Amnt a night owl so it doesnt really work for me... and it usually signals imminent return to work.

Maybe I need to celebrate it somewhere more eastern where it is midnight earlier and I can appreciate the Champagne !

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Our family tradition is to have a very nice dinner, that usually involves seafood, and then sparkling wine at midnight.
    I also like to go for a walk the next day, either seaside or city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nothing much happens with us on New Year's Eye apart from preparing for the next day.
    We generally have a very big dinner/etc on New Years Day!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,030 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I like New Year's Eve. Bought some sushi and vintage cava from M&S years ago, and the tradition stuck. We make our own sushi now, take turns rolling it. There's a lot of prep involved, so good to get help. We did the same dish the night after, and had neighbours down who wanted to try roll too. Some amount drank that night let me tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We tend to have no NYE traditions, have gone out, stayed in, hosted parties and gone to parties. We take it as it comes as it's not as important to us as Christmas itself.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

When I was in my teens and twenties, I always hosted a house party for NYE in my place, wherever that was. I really enjoyed it, but now it’s an evening where myself and my wife usually relax at home. We tend to grab a takeaway and watch a movie, then switch over to BBC to watch the London fireworks once it hits midnight. Then it’s off to the beach to have the first walk of the year and blow away to cobwebs.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I always hosted a house party for NYE in my place, wherever that was. I really enjoyed it, but now it’s an evening where myself and my wife usually relax at home. We tend to grab a takeaway and watch a movie, then switch over to BBC to watch the London fireworks once it hits midnight. Then it’s off to the beach to have the first walk of the year and blow away to cobwebs.

Madness were great last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Madness were great last year.

The year with Bryan Adams rocked too. Getting old when nights in are better than the ones out!

Loughc wrote: »
    The year with Bryan Adams rocked too. Getting old when nights in are better than the ones out!

Tell me about it, watching The Killers at Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago, both of us saying it was great watching on TV and not wedged in the crowd and the back to your tent, porta loo etc.

Advertisement