Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canary Island recommendation

• 09-07-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

Myself and my wife both turn 50 next year. We have decided to go for a week to the Canary Islands next March on our own without kids for a week (our first time doing so in nearly 25 years!!).

We have been to Fuerteventura nearly 20 years ago but, other than that, dont know the islands.

Therefore, I would be obliged for any recommendations for resorts/hotels.

Ideally, it would be

• suitable for 50 years olds (gulp :eek:)
    • be in a resort with some life in March e.g. music at night etc
    • not be like Ibiza!!
    • some nice restaurants etc
    • nice beaches
    Budget is flexible as it is a special holiday but within reason!!

All suggestions most welcome and appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

Myself and my wife both turn 50 next year. We have decided to go for a week to the Canary Islands next March on our own without kids for a week (our first time doing so in nearly 25 years!!).

We have been to Fuerteventura nearly 20 years ago but, other than that, dont know the islands.

Therefore, I would be obliged for any recommendations for resorts/hotels.

Ideally, it would be

• suitable for 50 years olds (gulp :eek:)
    • be in a resort with some life in March e.g. music at night etc
    • not be like Ibiza!!
    • some nice restaurants etc
    • nice beaches
    Budget is flexible as it is a special holiday but within reason!!

All suggestions most welcome and appreciated!!
    Peurto Del Carmen, Lanzarote would suit your needs.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'd say there are quite a few places around the Canaries that would fit your needs, but Costa Adeje in Tenerife is one I could recommend. Anywhere north of Calle Gran Bretana is quiet with plenty of nice hotels and apartments at all budgets, decent restaurants and nightlife, but nothing like Ibiza (South of Calle Gran Bretana brings you into Las Americas, which wouldn't suit you at all!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Stayed in Porto Cruz in Tenerife a few years ago. 4 star apartment hotel. Really nice spot.

I'll root out the name later

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Playa Blanca in Lanzarote .
    Has everything your looking for .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Me and the wife are of similar age to yourselves.

We love The Canaries and go every year. The last 5 years we have gone to Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote, as this has become our favorite.

We've been to Costa Teguise in Lanzarote as well, we just prefer PDC.

Have been to Tenerife twice (Las Americas and Los Cristianos), Gran Canaria twice (Puerto Rico and Playa del Ingles) and Fuerteventura (Caleta de Fuste)

We enjoyed all those holidays, but the only place we would never return to would be Playa del Ingles in Gran Canaria, we found that resort to be an absolute 'Kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Peurto Del Carmen, Lanzarote would suit your needs.

+1 the Suite Hotel Fariones is very central in PDC, it's at one end of the strip and the old town is within walking distance. Private pool, your own balcony, private beach and a large lounge(r) area with an outdoor bar.

It's this place. Note: it's not the Apartmentos Fariones (same hotel group) which is just up the hilll. They're fine (I've stayed there twice) but they're more basic than the suite hotel and probaly not for a special trip ....

http://www.suitehotelfariones.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 the Suite Hotel Fariones is very central in PDC, it's at one end of the strip and the old town is within walking distance. Private pool, your own balcony, private beach and a large lounge(r) area with an outdoor bar.

It's this place. Note: it's not the Apartmentos Fariones (same hotel group) which is just up the hilll. They're fine (I've stayed there twice) but they're more basic than the suite hotel and probaly not for a special trip ....

http://www.suitehotelfariones.com/en/

I think the hotel is currently getting renovated. Unless they have finished it recently?
    Never stayed in the hotel but have stayed in the Apartments, highly recommended and ideally located. Also across the road the El Dorado apartments are nice.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Same age here and we’re heading to Corralejo next year
    Plenty hotels there now Adults only
    As the boys have decided to come with us we opted for a villa near the town with Villa Plus
    Been to Playa Blanca before

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think the hotel is currently getting renovated. Unless they have finished it recently?

No, the place that's being rebuilt is called the Hotel Los Fariones, it's a separate entity and doesn't appear to be ready for 2019 so still under construction. It's not being 'renovated', the old building was levelled so it's a complete rebuild. I stayed in the Apartmentos in Feb. this year, the hoarding around the hotel site claimed it would be finished in Sept. but it doesn't look like that will happen. I get the Fariones e-mail circulars as I've stayed with them three times, the last one arrived on July 6th and there was no mention of the hotel.

The Suite Hotel (which I'm recommending for the OP) and the Apartmentos are on separate sites and are operating as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have spent a fair few winter holidays in the Canaries and would recommend one of the hotels around Faro Maspalomas or the Meloneras area on Gran Canaria, either Lopesan Costa Meloneras, Lopesan Vila del Conde or Riu Palace Meloneras would be very nice(If a little expensive) The area has a very different vibe to Playa Ingles.

Thumbs up also to the suggestion of Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife, generally a little cooler than the rest of the island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

cunavalos wrote: »
    Have spent a fair few winter holidays in the Canaries and would recommend one of the hotels around Faro Maspalomas or the Meloneras area on Gran Canaria, either Lopesan Costa Meloneras, Lopesan Vila del Conde or Riu Palace Meloneras would be very nice(If a little expensive) The area has a very different vibe to Playa Ingles.
    Love this area - we were there in November. Gorgeous restaurants near the beach at night and plenty of bars. Taxi into a livelier part is about 5 from Maspalomas - worth a look even for 1 night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Many thanks for the recommendations folks, very much appreciated!

Especially from people in our own age group which is very helpful.

I have passed it all on to the "financial & logistics director" to let her decide!!

Thanks so much again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Would also recommend Costa Adeje in Tenerife. Relatively upmarket area, nice beaches and lovely restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm in the same age bracket and as others have said here, Costa Adeje in Tenerife will suit you perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Why not go back to Fuerteventura, a lot will have changed since your first visit, we'll be there on Thursday (Corralejo) & again later September (Jandia)

Corralejo in the north will have the live music in bars & outside in Music Square, it's the largest & busiest resort but still quiet, plenty of reasonably priced accommodation, private villas & hotels B&B, half board & all inclusive, the restaurants are good value & we think the food is better quality than Lanzarote, great beaches just outside the town that stretch for miles.

The south is predominantly half board & all inclusive, quieter than Corralejo but again with fantastic beaches, we love Fuerteventura, it's where we go to switch off, eat drink & lie in the sun to recharge the batteries, cheap car hire, easy to drive around, it's very chilled & laid back, we find half board good value for a week or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Puerto del la Cruz in Tenerife
    Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote
    Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria

Those are likely your best options. They are resort town not big industrial centres like say Santa Cruz de Tenerife. March will be quiet enough in the canaries. It's after carnival (February) and before the influx of young Irish/British/German holiday makers in June-August.

Beaches aren't great on either Lanzarote or Tenerife so don't expect miles of golden sand. In saying that Puerto del la Cruz would be my preferred choice as there are lots of things to see do and visit in close proximity. If you are adventuring type a trip to Mount Teide is worth it accessible by public bus from Puerto del la Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

I can recommend Aquasuites hotel in Puerto del Carmen.
    https://www.aquasuiteslanzarote.com/

I stayed there last year and found it excellent for a number of reasons...

Quiet area
    Mostly adults
    Not huge so is nice to walk around, very friendly feel
    It's half board but NO BUFFETS. Menu changes daily and meals are all table service. Food was excellent with great choices to suit everyone.
    Nice apartments/rooms with good A/C.
    Proper king size double beds. Not 2 singles pushed together.
    Irish owned/managed.

Thanks again everyone, your suggestions are very much appreciated.

@Batman - funny but that is emerging as my wife's preferred choice. It looks lovely and tripadvisor comments are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone, your suggestions are very much appreciated.

@Batman - funny but that is emerging as my wife's preferred choice. It looks lovely and tripadvisor comments are superb.

You won't be disappointed. Book direct if you can.

You can decide each morning, once you see the menu, whether you want to have dinner or lunch as part of the half board.
    If you get a bottle of wine with your dinner and don't finish it, they'll keep it for you until the next day.

Breakfasts and all other food cooked to order.

It's a 10 Min walk downhill to the strip area. Taxi back up the hill around 4/5 euro. There's an Irish bar half way down, the spinnaker. Very nice spot owned and run by a Donegal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We are currently at the Riu Tres Isla just outside Corralejo (not for the first time) set in the middle of 7/8km of fantastic beach, it really is excellent, it's quiet, food is excellent (half board) just make a sambo descretley at breakfast for lunch, took a cab into Corralejo, €8/9 this evening, three very strong rum & coke's €15, was on my ear, yeah the rooms are a little dated but the location is great if you like beaches, staff brilliant, place is spotless, beaches are clothing optional so expect some nudity here & there
    Can be a bit windy in march but around the pool is well sheltered, there are stone windbreakes on the beach you can use if you're early enough, great place to chill, this hotel gets an older crowd, not so many if any kids, very few at the moment, few teenagers but they all gravitate towards the beach
    Have a look & if you fancy it, pm me with any questions

• Advertisement

Thanks Smurf but we booked Lanzarote yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!!

Advertisement