Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

• 20-05-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Next seasons divisions
    1A
    Cork Con, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Trinity, Garryowen, UCD, Young Munster, Terenure, UCC, Ballynahinch
    1B
    Shannon, Old Wesley, Naas, Malone, Banbridge, St Marys, Old Belvedere, Armagh, Highfield, Navan
    2A
    Buccaneers, Ballymena, Cashel, Queens, UL Bohemians, Old Crescent, Dolphin, Nenagh, MU Barnhall, Rainey Old Boys
    2B
    Blackrock, Galwegians, Greystones, Sligo, Dungannon, Corinthians, Wanderers, Belfast Harlequins, Ballina, Malahide
    2C
    Skerries, Sundays Well, Midleton, Bruff, Omagh, City of Derry, Tullamore, Bangor, Enniscorthy, Clonmel

No fixtures for AIL until July and provincial leagues/cups will be sooner.
    Plenty of coaching changes expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hoping Trinity kick on next year, though they did exceed expectations. So they'd be doing well to get to another semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

For me hopefully we can lose another Dublin side from the top flight and another Ulster/Munster side ideally Ulster gets promoted in their place as a top flight with 4 Leinster(Dublin) 2 Ulster, 2 Limerick, 2 Cork would be a good spread.
    Buccs going back to 1B would be good with one of the Connacht sides at least going up to 2A

For me hopefully we can lose another Dublin side from the top flight and another Ulster/Munster side ideally Ulster gets promoted in their place as a top flight with 4 Leinster(Dublin) 2 Ulster, 2 Limerick, 2 Cork would be a good spread.
    Buccs going back to 1B would be good with one of the Connacht sides at least going up to 2A

I mean, it would be good. But ultimately having the best teams in 1A is more important than it being representative of the whole island surely?

troyzer wrote: »
    I mean, it would be good. But ultimately having the best teams in 1A is more important than it being representative of the whole island surely?
    And whatever happens it will be best sides of the island just saying that i hope its a dublin side or two that are relegated and Shannon/Highfield and/or Banbridge/Malone/Armagh replace them.

Other than that would love far more posters here including the very regular posters could attend a few more games. Not enough season ticket holders support the club game enough IMO

And whatever happens it will be best sides of the island just saying that i hope its a dublin side or two that are relegated and Shannon/Highfield and/or Banbridge/Malone/Armagh replace them.

Other than that would love far more posters here including the very regular posters could attend a few more games. Not enough season ticket holders support the club game enough IMO

Well I'm going to try harder to go to more games. Still, the problem ultimately lies with the IRFU.

It doesn't know what the AIL should be used for anymore or what purpose it serves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wonder would a double header for the Aviva games but the AIL game played on the back pitch work.

I'd say 95% of the 'casual' fans, who weren't involved with a club and get tickets for bigger games through work etc aren't really aware of the AIL as a whole, or the level it's played at.

Would be interesting to see the viewer figures for the AIL final as it's the only game broadcast of the season.

I wonder would a double header for the Aviva games but the AIL game played on the back pitch work.

I'd say 95% of the 'casual' fans, who weren't involved with a club and get tickets for bigger games through work etc aren't really aware of the AIL as a whole, or the level it's played at.

Would be interesting to see the viewer figures for the AIL final as it's the only game broadcast of the season.

The obvious first step would be to get TV interest in a highlights package. You'd probably have to give it away for nothing to begin with but if there was a 1-2 hour show on a Sunday night I'd definitely watch it.

Well I'm going to try harder to go to more games. Still, the problem ultimately lies with the IRFU.

It doesn't know what the AIL should be used for anymore or what purpose it serves.
    IRFU in parts see it as a club game for the community and as part aid to the professional game as there isnt enough A games etc for provincial players to play all through a season.

Double header for which Aviva games and what AIL games do you want on back pitch?
    Yes plenty arent aware of clubs or at least arent aware of enough reasons to go to support clubs.

Double header for which Aviva games and what AIL games do you want on back pitch?
    Yes plenty arent aware of clubs or at least arent aware of enough reasons to go to support clubs.

No idea, just throwing thoughts out there. Maybe Lansdowne vs one of the Munster teams kicking off two hours before an interpro or something along those lines.

No idea, just throwing thoughts out there. Maybe Lansdowne vs one of the Munster teams kicking off two hours before an interpro or something along those lines.
    That helps little bar Lansdowne the few sides they could play before hand and doesnt really help league doing more to get season ticket holders linked and actively involved/supporting clubs through their season tickets somehow would be better like each season ticket package giving people info on their nearest club and info on fixtures etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

90% of games are played at half 2 on a Saturday just make arrangements prior whether it be getting off work early or meeting a few of the lads for pints and the game, it’s easy enough to get to whatever your clubs home games be it 9 games a year or 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Any word on Morgan Lennon's future? Jobs open in a few Dublin clubs in 1A. Might want to take the next step up the ladder, or may want to try bring Wesley up. Personally, I still think the gulf is too wide for anyone in 1B to come up to 1A at the minute, the standard is just so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Hoping Trinity kick on next year, though they did exceed expectations. So they'd be doing well to get to another semi.

Me 2- hearing the only first teamer they are losing is NO8 O'Riordan who is off to London-success at the top end likely to depend on how much access they will have to Leinster academy players Kelly/Sylvestre/Turner/Clarkson/Dunne/Baird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Sean Skehan apparently the new head coach in Terenure

Anyone know who is in the shake up for the UCD job?

Me 2- hearing the only first teamer they are losing is NO8 O'Riordan who is off to London-success at the top end likely to depend on how much access they will have to Leinster academy players Kelly/Sylvestre/Turner/Clarkson/Dunne/Baird

Is hogan still there or was he final year this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Stainalert wrote: »
    Sean Skehan apparently the new head coach in Terenure

Anyone know who is in the shake up for the UCD job?

Sean Skehan announced for Nure yesterday.

I hadn't heard Andy Skehan and UCD were parting ways. I'd imagine the UCD gig will get a lot of high profile interest given the talent pool they get every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

GavMan wrote: »
    Sean Skehan announced for Nure yesterday.

I hadn't heard Andy Skehan and UCD were parting ways. I'd imagine the UCD gig will get a lot of high profile interest given the talent pool they get every year

The announced him about a week ago on their Facebook. It'll be interesting to see if he teaches in a school in Dublin now too.

It's a very difficult player pool to coach though because you don't know who you'll have week to week so might be hard enough to get a coach willing to work with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

D14Rugby wrote: »
    The announced him about a week ago on their Facebook. It'll be interesting to see if he teaches in a school in Dublin now too.

It's a very difficult player pool to coach though because you don't know who you'll have week to week so might be hard enough to get a coach willing to work with that.

By all accounts when Skehan was going for it they had very high caliber coaches going for it, household names. It’s quite prestigious and comes with the not insignificant bonus of no alicadoos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

By all accounts when Skehan was going for it they had very high caliber coaches going for it, household names. It’s quite prestigious and comes with the not insignificant bonus of no alicadoos

Assume you are referring the the UCD gig - I'd assume there are still alacadoo's associated with the club, but fully get that it would be nothing in comparison to the likes of other big clubs like Tarf, Mary's, 'Nure etc.

Harrison Brewer off to Panasonic in Japan, big loss for Terenure but he's definitely a professional level player so not surprising.

• Advertisement

Harrison Brewer off to Panasonic in Japan, big loss for Terenure but he's definitely a professional level player so not surprising.

Would he have been worth a punt for a pro team here in Ireland? Remember huge hype of him coming out of school but similar to burgess in union they ruined him by switching him around in positions

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Would he have been worth a punt for a pro team here in Ireland? Remember huge hype of him coming out of school but similar to burgess in union they ruined him by switching him around in positions

There were talks with Irish teams apparently but don't know what happened with them, possibly they went nowhere or Panasonic offered more money which wouldn't surprise me.

Delighted for him, he played well at u20 when they moved him into centre, but never really worked out at academy level with Leinster. Moved to NZ and moved back into the backrow with Manawatu in the mitre 10.

He was stifled by the number of players coming through at the same time in the backrow, he was in the same U20s squad with Leavy, O'Donoghue, SOB2.0, Peader Timmins. And also VdF in the academy back at Leinster too.

Delighted for him, he played well at u20 when they moved him into centre, but never really worked out at academy level with Leinster. Moved to NZ and moved back into the backrow with Manawatu in the mitre 10.

He was stifled by the number of players coming through at the same time in the backrow, he was in the same U20s squad with Leavy, O'Donoghue, SOB2.0, Peader Timmins. And also VdF in the academy back at Leinster too.

He was a really good centre to be fair just didn't enjoy it but the academy wouldn't let him switch so his only option was to drop out and go to mitre 10 as a back row

There were talks with Irish teams apparently but don't know what happened with them, possibly they went nowhere or Panasonic offered more money which wouldn't surprise me.

Was with Ulster on trial in April but got nothing

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Is hogan still there or was he final year this year?

Final year but understand still playing for Trinity next year

Connacht league fixtures up now
    25/8
    Corinthians v Wegians, Sligo v Ballina
    1/9
    Ballina v Corinthians, Sligo v Buccs
    8/9
    Ballina v Wegians, Buccs v Corinthians
    14/9
    Corinthians v Sligo, Wegians v Buccs

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You know you're committed when you're posting Connacht league fixtures at 2:39am.

You know you're committed when you're posting Connacht league fixtures at 2:39am.
    I've only 6 posts in this thread so far. Previous seasons seen me with 20/29 posts in ail thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

Heard all the Connacht academy players playing outside of Connacht have to transfer to Connacht clubs next year.

Advertisement