Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online marking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The system allows for colour on pages where a diagram is expected, so it won’t be a problem for diagrams.

It really does seem very easy to use. There was a demo at the weekend for everyone using it this year, and it’s extremely user friendly.

They said you need at least 2meg, but even with less than that, you may just need to leave it to download for a while before starting to correct in the morning.

Admin work will be gone. No counting scripts, numbering them, picking a sample, counting up As, Bs, Ca, filling in scrud60s or filling in marking sheets.

We will get a chance to play with the programme later in the month, so I’ll find out then if my crappy laptop can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The system allows for colour on pages where a diagram is expected, so it won’t be a problem for diagrams.
    This is correct, although it will depend on what the examination team decides is worthy of colour scanning. The scripts are not being scanned in black and white to save money, as was suggested earlier in the thread, it's to reduce the file size, so that the scripts can be downloaded faster, in case people are having difficulty with their broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Have not marked in a good while. However taking all the admin out of it is a great idea. Wonder if the adv examiner can access the sample 20 and random samples as well. Assume they can. Could make going over things based on their advice easier as I heard individual questions can be accessed.

Broadband will be an obvious issue but surely in time people should be able to download at the conference. For me looking at a computer screen all day would be a pain.

Supervised this year. The new scripts were handy to work with and the students seemed very comfortable working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

feardeas wrote: »
    Wonder if the adv examiner can access the sample 20 and random samples as well. Assume they can. Could make going over things based on their advice easier as I heard individual questions can be accessed.
    Advising examiners have access to every script their examiners have. It's handy for checking things, but I imagine it will be a headache for some, if they have examiners who want a lot of hand holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Advising examiners have access to every script their examiners have. It's handy for checking things, but I imagine it will be a headache for some, if they have examiners who want a lot of hand holding.[/quote]

That's for sure. It could very well be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My AE "took" 2 of my sample 20 for monitoring. I don't get them back and they are now responsible for any changes required to them going forward, for example a change in the structure of the marks for a specific question or accepting an additional response as a correct answer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

km79 wrote: »
    Just got the circular regarding online marking of Biology (as well as Maths ,Chem,Phys,LCVP) and I am worried about one aspect of it and wonder how well thought out it is !
    Students are advised to only use blue or black pen as red will not scan well . Pencil for diagrams. That’s all well and good for the languages
    But in Biology the really diligent kids will go the extra mile and color in their diagrams . Am I now to tell them not to bother as it will not scan in properly anyway ??????
    Just as an FYI -

I'm not sure if it's in all subjects or just mine, but some pages do scan in with colour. Not all of them, but some. Diagrams that are in colour have scanned in colour. I'm not sure if this is the case in biology too.

Also, I'm a biology teacher and I advise my students not to colour in their diagrams unless they have extra time at the end. There are no marks going for it and they'd be better off spending the 5 minutes answering additional section A/B questions.

Advertisement