Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Monife wrote: »
    Not that you would feel less loss if she died than cheated on you, but you wouldn't have the complete emotional headf*ck of processing a betrayal. When you experience infidelity, you lose your spouse anyway if you choose to leave, but you also lose yourself. You question your entire marriage and existence. Some betrayed spouses have said they think they would cope better emotionally if their spouse died than coping with the betrayal.

Look, I'm not going to try and explain it anymore. No one really understands what it feels like unless they go through it. And even if you do unfortunately go through it, everyone's experience is different due to a number of factors (how your marriage was before, how long you were together, how you found out, how your spouse acted after, what type of affair/cheating it was, what other lies or betrayals were there, how emotionally strong you were to begin with etc.)

Y’know I completely get what you’re saying, but the problem with what you’re saying above is that it’s completely contradictory - “no-one really understands it unless they go through it”, I get that, “everyone’s experience is different”, I get that too. What you appear to be missing in your own opinion is that by virtue of the fact that you admit everyone’s experiences are different, then using that same rationale- nobody could possibly understand anyone else’s experiences, precisely because they’re all different! This is exactly why I said earlier that I had no intention of talking about my experiences - because realistically speaking, they would be of no value to you whatsoever.

You started the thread looking for this -
    I would love to get an idea of how many men cheat in relationships/marriages, men's perception of cheating on their significant other and what they would consider cheating.

I just don’t see how, even if anyone were capable of giving you what you’re looking for, that it would be of any help to you? I don’t see how someone else’s experiences are in any way relevant to your experiences, they’d be two or more completely different circumstances. I have no idea what it’s like for example to have experience of every significant male figure in my life cheating, that’s bound to colour your opinions of men, but on some level, you must surely be aware that your experience is highly unusual, and that no, most men do not cheat on their girlfriends or their wives.

What difference even would knowing how many men cheat in relationships/marriages make to you? The only time it would ever directly affect you is if the person you were dating or married to, cheats on you. Anyone else’s experiences are theirs, and if someone is left devastated to the degree that they would compare their grief to the pain of losing a child, then you can be rest assured there’s a lot more going on there than is generally considered a normal and understandable reaction to being cheated on - that person either has no experience, no self-awareness, or less kindly but more likely - a very poor grasp on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What about the loss of a best friend or a spouse or a parent!
    Are you saying I’d feel less loss if my wife died than if she cheated on me !

I felt like I'd lost a best friend and life partner when I'd been cheated on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Addle wrote: »
    I felt like I'd lost a best friend and life partner when I'd been cheated on.

In addition to losing your entire future/future plans as you knew them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Never understood the attraction of married men with kids, even if you were inclined that way, how would you have the energy unless you were a sh1t father.

I remember in work a discussion around the coffee table and people were pointing out all the cheaters at home or even in the workplace. I remember someone saying I wouldn't do it, which I thought an odd statement to make but the truth is, if it ever crossed my mind, I'd get a hotel, get into bed and go to sleep for a few hours rather than do anything else, i have a wife, a job and two kids. Sleeping is the most seductive thing I can think of when not involved with any of those or my mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Well it's all very subjective and everyone's circumstances are different. For some, it would be the worst thing to ever happen to them, others it wouldn't.

But calling it a ridiculous statement is rather minimising for the people who been through this. You will see from a few of the previous posts that some people have been left absolutely devastated, some felt utterly broken.

I stand by what I said, it was a ridiculous thing to say and based on nothing other than feelings which cannot be measured.

Ranking being on the receiving end of infidelity just behind the loss of a child is rather minimising and quite frankly disrespectful to the to the people who have lost a child.

Back on point, I don't really understand what you hoped to achieve by starting this thread - is it a platform for you to vent your spleen? To gain an understanding of why men cheat?

I'm sick and tired of men in general being made the scapegoat for all the ****ty things that happen in life - women cheat too, women abuse their partners too, women commit crime too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Keyzer wrote: »
    Back on point, I don't really understand what you hoped to achieve by starting this thread - is it a platform for you to vent your spleen? To gain an understanding of why men cheat?

To be fair to her, I think that’s why the OP started the thread, and it’s not unreasonable that this would be the most natural forum to ask the questions and try and gain an understanding of what motivates some men to cheat. The thread went a bit tits up when the OP brought up a rather unfortunate comparison that was someone else’s idea is all, but they’ve cleared it up since that they don’t imagine themselves the two scenarios are equatable in terms of the pain experienced in either circumstances.

Keyzer wrote: »

I'm sick and tired of men in general being made the scapegoat for all the ****ty things that happen in life - women cheat too, women abuse their partners too, women commit crime too.

As One Eyed Jack correctly said, the above is the reason why I started this thread. Seeing as all significant male figures in my life have cheated on their wives, including more recently my own ex-husband, I wanted to get an idea of how many men in real life cheat, not just in my bubble (where the figure is 100%), why they cheat and how they feel about cheating in general.

I am fully aware that women cheat too, I never said they didn't, but I wanted to gain perspective on why men cheat, because sometimes the motivations are different between the genders.

I am fully aware that women cheat too, I never said they didn't, but I wanted to gain perspective on why men cheat, because sometimes the motivations are different between the genders.

I don't think the motivations are different, some do it for fulfillment, some do it because they can, some do it because they are not invested in the relationship, this is the same for both genders. Some do it because when it was offered, the biological urges were more than they were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

If that's really what you want to know then I'll certainly tell you. I think there is usually more than one reason. In my own case the reasons were as follows:

Because my wife commodified sex and used it as currency and a control mechanism within our marriage.

Because I had an opportunity to do so with someone that wanted to have sex with me simply for the enjoyment of the act.

Because I was able to rationalise my decision based on the unsatisfactory state of my marriage.

Because I was horny... yep, it's that simple.

So ultimately, if your partner acts in bad faith and withholds sex and someone else is happy to engage in it, the outcome is almost inevitable (well for me it was...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Human beings tend to repeat behaviour we learn as children and be drawn to familiar patterns even if they're hurtful to us, because the comfort of familiar is more appealing than the risk of the unknown. This is largely unconscious as well. I, like probably many of you have had the experience of being quite a bit into a relationship with someone and having a sudden striking realisation of "Oh my God you're just like my father/I'm behaving exactly like my mother" when you would have said there was nothing even slightly like that at the beginning.

My point is people who come from families of origin or early peer groups that have a blasé attitude to infidelity often end in those kind of relationships even though they themselves are strongly opposed to it. It's striking that you say EVERY man in your life has been a cheater, would you consider therapy to talk through that?

• Advertisement

Human beings tend to repeat behaviour we learn as children and be drawn to familiar patterns even if they're hurtful to us, because the comfort of familiar is more appealing than the risk of the unknown. This is largely unconscious as well. I, like probably many of you have had the experience of being quite a bit into a relationship with someone and having a sudden striking realisation of "Oh my God you're just like my father/I'm behaving exactly like my mother" when you would have said there was nothing even slightly like that at the beginning.

My point is people who come from families of origin or early peer groups that have a blasé attitude to infidelity often end in those kind of relationships even though they themselves are strongly opposed to it. It's striking that you say EVERY man in your life has been a cheater, would you consider therapy to talk through that?

I am in therapy following the discovery of the infidelity (and two affair children..!!) but I haven't broached that subject yet. Have my session tonight actually so may bring it up.

I fully agree with your first paragraph, my ex-husband seems to have followed in his father's footsteps. However, even though my own family have this blasé attitude towards infidelity and I am staunchly against it, to the point where I stopped being friends with a close friend who cheated with another close friend's long-term boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

These are some unscientific things I have noticed about cheating.

European people seem to have a more casual attitude to casual sex. Only people who have suggested partner swaps to us have been European*. The dirty divils. Go 'way with your crazy continental ideas.

Crusties and English hippies shag themselves around the group so that everyone gets to know each other, to the point where generational incest becomes a definite problem. I know, I know, dreadful thing to say, but there you go.

Apparently none of the lads and women in the village are having sex with their spouses and all of them are cheating. It's a carnal hotbed in the hills, or at least so I've been told by the gossips though cannot say I have ever seen it myself. Who knows. If it is true I am amazed. The state of most of them doesn't inspire ideas of lustful excesses. But there you go. The magic of pints.

Speaking of intoxicants, everyone blames the alcohol. But what about the cocaine (Father)? I'm reliably informed that every second gobshyte in the country is doing it again now that we are rich (Are we rich :confused: ). Does that not make people incredibly horny for risky sex? Is that what's driving us mad?

I haven't cheated. Break up first is the rules.

* so far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah my God the small town thing. Where I grew up off the top of my head there was the woman who was murdered after threatening to reveal the affair she was having with a man to his wife (he confessed to both), the woman who gave an excruciatingly comprehensive rundown of her husband's infidelities when someone asked her why she was separated, another married woman who has a fierce habit of sleeping with very young barmen (that one is so blatant I have to assume her husband doesn't care) and two instances I can think of in the past ten years where a married person with children has left to be with another married person with children. There's probably like half a dozen other rumoured affairs too, but I don't know are they true.

I don't know are people more bored and more inclined to cheat, is it just they spend more time with people (because there are fewer people) and attractions grow more easily, people get married earlier, or is it just that it's more likely to be found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Yeah my God the small town thing.

I don't know are people more bored and more inclined to cheat, is it just they spend more time with people (because there are fewer people) and attractions grow more easily, people get married earlier, or is it just that it's more likely to be found out.

It's all the time yokels save that would have been spent sitting in city traffic jams. How city folk have time to take off their trousers we will never know.

I remember a guy in my local town, Garda was sleeping with his wife while he was away at work, and then the garda would meet up with him for pints in the local and they were like best friends. I felt truly sorry when he found out, he looked like a lost puppy, his wife and his best friend and everyone knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember a guy in my local town, Garda was sleeping with his wife while he was away at work, and then the garda would meet up with him for pints in the local and they were like best friends. I felt truly sorry when he found out, he looked like a lost puppy, his wife and his best friend and everyone knew.

Now that is absolute scumbag behaviour. Jesus, angry even thinking about it. The poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

in all fairness hen parties are as bad if not worse

Definitely. (What happens on the Hen party stays on the hen party!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Never have never will.

If the day comes that I no longer want to be with my wife and want to pursue other women then I will have the balls to say it to her face.

Its a horrible breach of trust.

A mate of mine is a fcuker for it. Was with a girl for 6 years and cheated on her multiple times. Now married to someone else and I suspect he has cheated on her too. His best friend from childhood has also cheated on his wife on multiple occasions.

Scummy conduct and it really tarnishes my opinion of him to such an extent that we have only really hung out once in the last 18 months.

What if you just want to bang someone new though?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Never have and never will. It's been done to me twice and it doesn't only shatter your own self esteem but trust in other people, future relationships. I'm certainly not perfect and even recently hopped from dating someone straight into a relationship, but glad I had never cheated. (Despite the fact I was accused of it in this situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

rireland wrote: »
    What if you just want to bang someone new though?

Monogamy is an unnatural situation. One can love their wife yet bang somone the odd time. I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »
    Monogamy is an unnatural situation. One can love their wife yet bang somone the odd time. I don't see the problem.

While I do see you point with Monogamy being unnatural and goes against our more basic instinct. Would you not see it as a problem wherein your wife doesn't have the same view.....I.e where they do believe in it.

While I do see you point with Monogamy being unnatural and goes against our more basic instinct. Would you not see it as a problem wherein your wife doesn't have the same view.....I.e where they do believe in it.

Won't have a problem with her doing it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,503 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Palmach wrote:
    What if your wife doesn't agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Take this from someone who has been cheated on and knows how much it destroys you in practically every way. The chances are, you knew from pretty early on that he was a "compulsive lying piece of sh*t" and you just ignored it. Best thing to do is to look back through the relationship and try and find the first moment you realised this guy was a scumbag. Then remember all the other times you noticed it over the course of the entire relationship. It can be quite eye-opening believe me!

It's only by learning the signs that you can avoid making the same mistakes in the future. Then this whole hateful experience won't be for nothing.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    This was my experience too. The signs were there, I just chose to ignore them because I was blinded by the love I felt myself.

Hesitant to reply here as I can't go anon but the above is so true. I recently dumped my oh because he admitted to cheating on me and I also discovered he'd had a baby with someone four months after our first date and then told me the baby was his nephew rather than his son!! It's so easy to tar all men with the same brush but if you are brutally honest with yourself and look back, the signs were all there but you didn't want to see them. I'm not victim blaming but I do think we tend to ignore our instincts and put our head in the sand. Looking back, there was always an uneasy feeling I couldn't put my finger on and things didn't add up but I chose not to question them. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't hate all men just because one fecker has broken your trust. Even if (as you think) 90% of men do cheat, that still means there are 10% who don't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Palmach wrote: »

Talking on a telephone, using a computer, driving a car and taking a dump in a toilet are all unnatural situations. Monogamy is probably a more natural situation than any of those things and there is a theory out there that suggests that monogamous relationships in our ancient ancestors is what helped us evolve beyond other primates. The males hung around, hunted meat and provided a protein rich diet for their offspring with helped in the evolution of our bigger brains. Even when we engage in polygamy, we tend to form long term bonds which go way beyond what we see in most mammals out there. One night stands and the like would not be where we'd be at if we were living as early man.

People in long term relationships that dismiss monogamy as an unnatural state tend to do so to excuse their own sh1tty behaviour.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What if your wife doesn't agree?

Exactly my point. Not prejuding. Just curious on the stance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Have cheated on my boyfriend before, and seen the damage it caused, will never, or never want to do it again.

This was 3 years ago, he found out straight away, we are stronger than ever. Thank god.

Still live with the guilt!

I dont believe in the phrase once a cheater always a cheater, whats the point in change then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

And please don't think men are more likely to cheat. I've met 2 women in the last few months who in the early days of their long term relationship, cheated on their partner but they are now strong.

Men get the brunt of it alright!

Have cheated on my boyfriend before, and seen the damage it caused, will never, or never want to do it again.
    This was 3 years ago, he found out straight away, we are stronger than ever. Thank god.
    Still live with the guilt!
    I dont believe in the phrase once a cheater always a cheater, whats the point in change then.
    I'm delighted that it worked out for you. It must be tough, but again, shows true commitment from both people. Nice to see the other perspective, agreed men do get the most brunt of it but its a shared thing of both sexes.

• Advertisement

They say the only emotional pain worse than cheating, is the death of a child.

Only saw this post now. Hysteria much?

Advertisement