Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Trekker09

It wasnt really one act though was it? Were the kids not alone in the apartment other nights they were there?

If you run across a motorway every morning to take a short cut to work and get hit and killed after a week, thats not a single act of stupidity.

The group block booked the restaurant for the week due to it's convenience, so yes, the kids were left alone in the apartment on the previous nights.

I've said before that it was a bad decision and not one I'd make, but that still doesn't make them bad parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    The chief Portuguese detective, Amaral, reckons they stuffed her in some random freezer at some stage during the evening, then concocted the kidnapping plan, went to dinner (acting perfectly normally) and then transported her body somewhere else a few weeks later. In a geographical area they were unfamiliar with, where she hasn't been found to this day.

How they managed to do this whilst surrounded by police, family and the world's media he can't answer, funnily enough. They must be the cleverest, coldest killers ever...

Excuse me Dark Crystal but I’d be obliged if you gave Det Amaral his proper title.
    He’s DR Amaral to the likes of you.
    And I strongly refute any suggestion of yours that he’s a corrupt drunken oafish bully.
    No evidence of that whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Something Else
    limnam wrote: »
    and squandred hundreds of thousands on con men and companies with no history of recovering missing kids.

Neglectful with their child, neglectful with the money raised to find her.

£11.75m and counting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

no evidence of that.

There are three possibilities.
    * Someone took her away.
    * She took herself away.
    * She's still there.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Trekker09 wrote: »
    but that still doesn't make them bad parents.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

But she also identified murat as the man carrying the child

who looks nothing like the one that eventually came forward after I think 6-7 months

Nope. Never fingered Murat. Wrong again.

Jesus wept.

Jesus did indeed weep. And the McCanns are not bad parents.

tuxy wrote: »
    £11.75m and counting.......

You have the figures there to show where they squandered money? Post a link. You already said they spent millions on their mortgage and it turned out to be £4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    But she also identified murat as the man carrying the child

who looks nothing like the one that eventually came forward after I think 6-7 months

She gave conflicting accounts. She only identified Murat after he was named as a suspect and even then it was only based on how he walked or something so very weak and clearly based on a confirmation bias. The sighting was a red herring.
    Calltocall wrote: »
    This back and forth on the thread regarding the actions of the parents is a microcosm of what’s gone on for years now in the wider media, people have got stuck in the mud focusing on the morality of the parents rather than looking at the bigger picture and in my opinion it’s the real tragedy here as it takes the focus off the actual perpetrator or perpetrators who abducted the child.

If one thinks logically about it and removes any morality around the actions of the parents, ask yourself two people with no previous convictions or form who managed to kill/murder their child either intentionally or not and then dispose of their childs body without detection then go back out and hide the terrible thing they had done and have a good time with their friends then the mother goes off and returns howling in grief and for the next twelve years conjures a charade is in my opinion completely ****ing ludicrous to a rational mind.

The alternative scenario is the plausible one that they were two people who paid a massive price for a bad neglectful decision they made one that thousands upon thousands of parents have taken but who will never have to deal with what they have as they weren’t being watched by a predator who lifted the sleeping child out of her bed and walked away with her into the night, the sightings of a man walking away with a blonde child from the area around the same time cannot and should not be ignored but it’s now all too late.

I do hope she is somewhere being treated well and is completely unaware of all what happened to her, it’s unlikely but that’s the only solace one can take from a tragedy like this and hopefully time will shed a light on what happened to the poor kid.

Catherine Nevin, Graham Dwyer and Malcolm Macarthur had no prior convictions as far as I know.

Jesus wept.

Wow, were in the presence of someone who has never made a mistake!!!

Jesus wept is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You'd think with a huge reward offered someone would speak out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else
    Ginger83 wrote: »
    You'd think with a huge reward offered someone would speak out

surely anyone that knows anyting is directly involved and would be admitting they were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was just about to ask about wells and boreholes given the recent event in spain. As i started to type the bit came on (I have the netflix doc on) with the guy saying about plenty of wells being around.

Presumably these were all searched?

Wow, were in the presence of someone who has never made a mistake!!!

Jesus wept is right.

Going out multiple nights wining and dining leaving your kids alone is not a mistake.

It's a choice.

One of neglectful parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

surely anyone that knows anyting is directly involved and would be admitting they were involved.

Yes very true.

Jesus wept.

OK here's an example.

When my son was 5, we were at my sister in laws house and I went into the garden with my son for a kickaround. My wife was at the window taking some pictures as he ran backwards and tripped and fell 3 feet onto a concrete patio, fracturing his skull.

I knew the patio was there but it never entered my head that that might happen. Yes, it was my fault and luckily he made a full recovery.

does that make me a bad parent or one that made a bad mistake?

OK here's an example.

When my son was 5, we were at my sister in laws house and I went into the garden with my son for a kickaround. My wife was at the window taking some pictures as he ran backwards and tripped and fell 3 feet onto a concrete patio, fracturing his skull.

I knew the patio was there but it never entered my head that that might happen. Yes, it was my fault and luckily he made a full recovery.

I don't see how this compares to leaving 3 under 4's in a foriegn contry in an unsecured apartment alone while you go out eating and drinking with your pals

If you did THAT. You would be a bad parent.

Neglectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Something Else
    OK here's an example.

If you had been in a different building half a mile away it would have made you criminally negligent under Portuguese law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else
    OK here's an example.

there is a huge diference between unforseen dangers and abandoning you children to look after themselves.

if someone had broken into the appartment and snatched maddie while the parents were there then if would be a daring abduction and the parents woulnt be responsible.
    but thats not what happened here, yes they are bad parents. everything they did on that night and the nigths before that proves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    I was just about to ask about wells and boreholes given the recent event in spain. As i started to type the bit came on (I have the netflix doc on) with the guy saying about plenty of wells being around.

Yes, everything was searched.

• Advertisement

I don't see how this compares to leaving 3 under 4's in a foriegn contry in an unsecured apartment alone while you go out eating and drinking with your pals

If you did THAT. You would be a bad parent.

Neglectful.

But I was neglectful. I didn't consider the risks and my son could've been killed.

It was an act of bad parenting but it doesn't make me a bad parent and fortunately it doesn't define me as a parent.

Good people make bad decisions and mistakes (except you of course)

If you had been in a different building half a mile away it would have made you criminally negligent under Portuguese law.

Half a mile away? Really?

Mr Amaral had already decided after another boozy lunch that it was the parents wot did it, and no other avenues would be explored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote:
    The reason Madeline McCann is missing is because someone took her away.

Your evidence please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Something Else
    I can't believe there is even discussion in this thread about their parenting. I can't believe anyone would think what they did wasn't bad, neglectful parenting. Jeez, I was only allowed to go two doors down in each direction while playing outside my house when I was twice Madeline's age. If I recall, the door to the apartment was even unlocked, or so they say anyway.

But I was neglectful. I didn't consider the risks and my son could've been killed.

It was an act of bad parenting but it doesn't make me a bad parent and fortunately it doesn't define me as a parent.

Good people make bad decisions and mistakes (except you of course)

Your son could be killed walking his doggie.

That doesn't make you neglectful.

Leaving 3 under 4's in an unsecured apartment with public access in a foreign country alone. That does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Something Else
    Half a mile away? Really?

In steps not as the crow flies.
    Yes really

So now the restaurant was 1/2 a mile away? If your making up a load of lies then you might as well make it whole mile. Why not 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

splinter65 wrote: »
    Mr Amaral had already decided after another boozy lunch that it was the parents wot did it, and no other avenues would be explored.

and others, on the internet, with no knowledge other than whats in the public domain and who have never met the McCanns, have decided they did nothing wrong and are great parents. Go figure.....

• Advertisement

Your son could be killed walking his doggie.

That doesn't make you neglectful.

Leaving 3 under 4's in an unsecured apartment with public access in a foreign country alone. That does.

No it doesn’t .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement