Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica for Slane 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Penfailed wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at people complaining about the hassle of going to Slane. If you live in the north west of the country, EVERYWHERE is a hassle to get to. Catch yerselves on.

Ive lived in sligo so shup you..
    Its a hassle to get from slane to anywhere due to the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pelvis wrote: »
    No one gives a **** about people in the North West.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Pelvis wrote: »
    No one gives a **** about people in the North West.

Successive government policies make you right.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Ive lived in sligo so shup you..
    Its a hassle to get from slane to anywhere due to the traffic.

Arrive early, leave late...no traffic. Camping is the way forward.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Can’t see this selling out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

finbarrk wrote: »
    It won't be a sell out anyway. Too much hassle going to that place.

There’ll be loads of freebies around nearer the date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

PTH2009 wrote: »
    but enjoyed Queen in Marlay Park last July so might give it a go. Saves the hassle of flying and booking hotels in the UK/Europe. Should be a few Direct buses going from places

As venues they're a world apart. Queen was fairly mellow with plenty of space and relatively easy to get to and from. Slane is a pain in the hole.
    Knowing Irish promoters, they'd put someone like f*&king Mundy on the bill.

Paddy Casey was unfortunate to be supporting Pearl Jam in the Point one year, and he knew it himself it was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Penfailed wrote:
    Gotta laugh at people complaining about the hassle of going to Slane. If you live in the north west of the country, EVERYWHERE is a hassle to get to. Catch yerselves on.

It's a ****e venue

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Metallica died with Cliff Burton man!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Selling out does not have to be the be all and end all of success. I would say 60k ish would be a successful number in all parties eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It will do better than Bon Jovi anyways.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Metallica are an awesome live band and serious nostalgia factor for me. But I wouldnt ever go to Slane again after G'n'R. Just a completely ridiculous set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Penfailed wrote: »

I'm probably as far away from it as you are, but it's a horrible place to get to comparing to Croke Park or the Aviva, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think they will sell out. I mean it may not be the instant 5 second tout rout that Ticketmaster supports (And, indeed, encourages). But I do think it will sell out: It's Metallica! Sure, Slane has lost some of its shine in the last few years what with the hassle of getting to/from there and the pretty shambolic nature of access and facilities and more and more venues being used but, for many, it's still "IT'S SLAAAANEEEE!!!!!!!!"

I think it's actually a great match. Metallica ned to be able to turn it up to 11 and where better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Metallica ned to be able to turn it up to 11 and where better?

Everywhere but Slane?

Whether or not it sells out is down to the support. Metallica's name alone won't sell it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Camping is the way to go for Slane, 10 mins walk to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

People will sit and moan about Slane. It's an iconic venue. Look at the past headliners and even look at the past support acts.

The toilet and bar facilities are a joke yes. Getting in and out is also a joke but by God the atmosphere, the view from the hill and the craic makes it worth it every time.If your travelling from Cork come up and stay in Louth, Meath, even parts of Cavan. Head to Slane early in the day and don't worry about getting out just stash a bag of cans for the bus home..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

finbarrk wrote: »
    It won't be a sell out anyway. Too much hassle going to that place.

Getting there isn't the problem. Its once you're in. And leaving.

Genuinely the worst venue I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Camped for the last few slane gigs and it’s a much much better experience

piplip87 wrote: »
    People will sit and moan about Slane. It's an iconic venue. Look at the past headliners and even look at the past support acts.

The toilet and bar facilities are a joke yes. Getting in and out is also a joke but by God the atmosphere, the view from the hill and the craic makes it worth it every time.If your travelling from Cork come up and stay in Louth, Meath, even parts of Cavan. Head to Slane early in the day and don't worry about getting out just stash a bag of cans for the bus home..

what if you dont drink? its still a ****e venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Any idea what date the gig will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Muse would be decent co headliners

2001 will always be the GOAT lineup

U2
    Foo Fighters
    Chili Peppers
    Coldplay
    Ash
    JJ72
    Moby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Any idea what date the gig will be?

8th of June is whats's being rumoured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

U2
    Foo Fighters
    Chili Peppers
    Coldplay
    Ash
    JJ72
    Moby

You've combined two concerts though. U2 had RHCP, Coldplay and JJ72 the first week. Ash and Moby played support the second week. Foo Fighter never actually played, think they pulled out last minute but I could be wrong on that - Ash replaced them maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You've combined two concerts though. U2 had RHCP, Coldplay and JJ72 the first week. Ash and Moby played support the second week. Foo Fighter never actually played, think they pulled out last minute but I could be wrong on that - Ash replaced them maybe.

Moby played the 2nd U2 gig in 2001.

2003 was Pj Harvey, QOTSA, Foos and Chili Peppers.

They needed to bring out the big guns after the Nickelback, Revs, Charlatans, Stereophonics fiasco the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

U2
    Foo Fighters
    Chili Peppers
    Coldplay
    Ash
    JJ72
    Moby

Nah...2003 for me!

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Foo Fighters
    Queens of the Stone Age
    PJ Harvey
    Feeder
    Morcheeba
    Halite

PCros wrote: »
    Nah...2003 for me!

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Foo Fighters
    Queens of the Stone Age
    PJ Harvey
    Feeder
    Morcheeba
    Halite

one of the best gigs ive ever been at, queens were astonishing, highlight for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    one of the best gigs ive ever been at, queens were astonishing, highlight for me

My big head actually made it onto the DVD that the Chili's released after you can see me for about 0.04 seconds :D:D

PCros wrote: »
    My big head actually made it onto the DVD that the Chili's released after you can see me for about 0.04 seconds :D:D

my big head was was on the ground now and again in the pits during queens, wow what a gig, apparently i had steam coming off me after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ye have me reminiscing for the good old days lads, 2003 was savage. QOTSA were incredible. Just watched some of it on YouTube, the full Chilli peppers gig is on there, although I didn't find John doing 'I feel love' cover which was a highlight for me. I think Beck played the Point the night after where I blacked out for a few minutes... good times, good times.

Advertisement