Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Long Lost EIGHTIES Irish Pop Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Stars of Heaven - 28

Now you're talking. Best Irish band ever. Stephen Ryan is working on a new album I hear. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Galway band "The Fuze" from 1981 with It's a Sunday Mornin'

And Tuam reggae band "Too Much For The Whiteman" with their 1988 Top 30 hit "Put Your Mind At Ease"

The sound quality on these is not great but both these bands were absolutely brilliant live! Believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to hear 'Needle in the Groove' again after all these years;)

Also had the CD single of their version of Higher Ground too.

Great call on the Cry Before Dawn 'Last of the Sun'. They had a few belting tracks out in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Somebody earlier posted a Stepaside song. The late Paul Ashford had a brilliant 80s solo song called "One in Every Town" and its up on youtube, but the quality is crackily and not good, so I wont post the link. Its a track to this day that was never released digitally, unfortunately.

Anyhow here's a great track from 1989 from The Fat Lady Sings - Arclight.

Frontman Nick Kelly went on to become a commercial (the Guiness adverts with Fassbender) and film director.

Early 80s this.

Ringsend (or Raytown) band, The Blades (Paul & Lar Cleary and Pat Larkin). Lar sadly died earlier this year. Coincidentally I bumped into his brother Paul in a pub in Templeogue a few weeks back!

AAAAnyway, The Blades - Ghost of a Chance (1981)

• Advertisement

I could post so many Something Happens songs like Beach, Burn Clear or anything from Been There, Seen That, Done That.

There's an incredibly cringe like video of my fav Something Happens from 1989 at the "National Entertainment Awards" but the sound quality is crap. Worth looking at to see the out of touch public service like production alone that only Ireland could do for music awards.

Something Happens - Forget Georgia (1988).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I always wondered why that YouTube uploader used the Bedlam A GoGo sleeve for Forget Georgia.

STB. wrote: »
    Somebody earlier posted a Stepaside song. The late Paul Ashford had a brilliant 80s solo song called "One in Every Town" and its up on youtube, but the quality is crackily and not good, so I wont post the link. Its a track to this day that was never released digitally, unfortunately.
    [/youtube]

Love One In Every Town. Have the 7". Gerry Ryan used play it on his brilliant 10 - 12pm show. Used listen in bed.

Loads of Irish stuff is MIA on CD. The likes of the Tom Dunne's compilations only scratch the surface. This is one of the earliest Irish compilations I can remember coming out on CD - 1992 - which was very late considering. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Irish-A-Z-Of-Rock/release/6477966
    To be fair, it's probably the best one and gets serious kudos for including the fair superior single version of Love Don't Work This Way.

Have In Tua Nua had a mention yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

bullpost wrote: »

These were tipped to make it big in pre-U2 days.

They really were a great band and should have done way better. I still have one of their so called 'red tapes' (which were grey). Shockin bad sound quality though.

This was a great song.

• Advertisement

Minor Detail - Canvas Of Life

Video has great footage of Dublin 1983.

Short piece about it here.

Love One In Every Town. Have the 7". Gerry Ryan used play it on his brilliant 10 - 12pm show. Used listen in bed.

Loads of Irish stuff is MIA on CD.

Paul came in for a radio interview in the late 2000's. He was amazed (and thrilled!) that we had a perfect single version of One in Every Town as it was never released digitally as he hadn't got around to it. And sadly he died not long after.

Surprised this song wasn't posted.

A very young Darren Wharton on Piano. Ronan Dooney plays the piccolo trumpet (went on to do same on The Commitments soundtrack).

I don't believe this charted in Ireland or the UK which must be one of the music mysteries of Irish Music in the 80s. Pub Quiz - Where is the pub @ 1.39.

1982 Phil Lynott - Oldtown

Technically.....its Mark Knopfler.

I always associate it with Ireland though as its so celtic. The uilleann pipes played by Liam O'Flynn and Paul Brady on mandolin/tin whistle.

It was part of the score to an Irish film in the 1984 directed by Pat O'Connor called "Cal". There is also another track on the soundtrack called Irish Boy which is equally as good.

Mark Knopfler - The Long Road

The infamous Rum, Sodomy & The Lash has so many great songs on it.

The Pogues - Sally McLennane (1985)

STB. wrote: »
    Surprised this song wasn't posted.

A very young Darren Wharton on Piano. Ronan Dooney plays the piccolo trumpet (went on to do same on The Commitments soundtrack).

I don't believe this charted in Ireland or the UK which must be one of the music mysteries of Irish Music in the 80s. Pub Quiz - Where is the pub @ 1.39.

The Long Hall.
    Had my first date with my now wife there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Found this today.
    Cry Before Dawn will be there one of the days.
    Looks impressive.

334nr7r.jpg
    http://i68.tinypic.com/334nr7r.jpg

The Blades - Downmarket. Great track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

bullpost wrote: »

Swinging Swine from late 80s. Great live band.

One of my favourite bands of all time !
    Joannes voice ( and glare)
    Luckily seen them loads of times...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Some great memories posted above, the 2 Blades tracks and "Forget Georgia"are brilliant.

And I totally agree about the single version of "Love Don't Work This Way", the album version is ana abomination by comparison.

Here's Phil Lynott's last single release just before his death, reached no. 76 in the UK Singles Charts. Coincidentally produced by Paul Hardcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Sinéad O'Connor & Shane MacGowan - Haunted

Ah...wrong decade. This was recorded in 1995. The Cait O'Riordan version was recorded in the eighties.....

• Advertisement

Was going through my old cd collection today and found these

https://flic.kr/p/2dGMQyz

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was going through my old cd collection today and found these

https://flic.kr/p/2dGMQyz

There's only one CD copy of Witness For The World on Discogs - on sale for €44.

Nearly all its sales were on vinyl and cassette. IIRC the CD was available on the week of release and then took ages to come back into stock.

There's only one CD copy of Witness For The World on Discogs - on sale for €44.

Nearly all its sales were on vinyl and cassette. IIRC the CD was available on the week of release and then took ages to come back into stock.

I'm sitting on a goldmine!:D

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a goldmine!:D

If you drop in to the Wexford Car Centre, Vinny will sign it for you and bring it up to €48 :).

Mind you, he'll probably try and sell you a car.

Someone mentioned these guys earlier, this is a mighty track from 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

BOSTIK wrote: »

Someone mentioned these guys earlier, this is a mighty track from 1986.

Great tune!

I'm on a roll here:

Another brilliant track from Those Nervous Animals - "Just What The Sucker Wanted" from 1985

I liked this, these lads got signed by EMI America afterwards I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I love this thread.

Advertisement