Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sub 4 Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hi, First time posting here and looking for some advice.

The story is that I'm 42 and twelve years after stopping playing hurling and football and doing no exercise I did a boot camp after Christmas and started running. For motivation in February i signed up for the Antrim Coast marathon as it goes right past my door and i said if i ever did one, I'd be selective about which one it would be. Now this takes place on the 30th june and i'm wondering if i'll be able to do a sub four race as that was my ultimate secret aim.

I did a Born to Run trail half marathon a month ago in 1:45, having got my LSR up to sixteen miles just prior to that. I hurt my hamstring (farming related not running) and had to take 10 days off since, but having been to the physio twice and regularly doing my stretches/exercises i feel much better. So last week i decided to go for a tempo run on part of the course and manged to do a ten mile tempo in 1:19. Yesterday i did a 20 mile LSR from the start position and whilst deliberately trying to go slower i did the 20 miles in 3:03. Legs were heavy after mile 12 so dropped the pace by about 30 secs per mile.

With six weeks to go has anyone any advice to offer, should i go for a LSR of 22 and wind back from that or run a few LSR's of 20 & 18 or what would you recommend? What should i be focusing on for the next month or so?
    If i don't do sub four i'm probably gonna have to sign up for Dublin to achieve it. The course itself is very flat if that makes any difference.

I was using the DCM novices/Hal Higdon 18 week Plans, but between work, farming and the usual i was missing bits here and there, so fire away. And i'll accept all criticism about not having enough of a base and too much too soon, but this marathon hasn't been on for thirty years since i watched it as a kid and I just had to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    I understand your concerns Eyrie and ultimately you need to have confidence in the plan you choose so we can all advise you as much as we like but it's your decision.

But i just wanted to make a point that helped me to decide. As a 'grad' i obviously have run the distance but even at that a long run of max 16m was making me a little bit nervous until someone made the subtle point that ultra runners never train anywhere near the distance they race for - you look at Ultrawoman training for a 24 hour event and she's running phenomenal jaw dropping mileage but it's still no where near what she will do on the day/night! Cumulative fatigue is your friend in training for endurance events.

Aw I'm touched you remembered....and of course you identified my best trait too! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Aw I'm touched you remembered....and of course you identified my best trait too! :pac::pac::pac:

I always remember good advice :P

(disclaimer - if it suits me)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ariana` wrote: »
    I understand your concerns Eyrie and ultimately you need to have confidence in the plan you choose so we can all advise you as much as we like but it's your decision.

But i just wanted to make a point that helped me to decide. As a 'grad' i obviously have run the distance but even at that a long run of max 16m was making me a little bit nervous until someone made the subtle point that ultra runners never train anywhere near the distance - you look at Ultrawoman training for a 24 hour event and she's running phenomenal jaw dropping mileage but it's still no where near what she will do on the day/night! Cumulative fatigue is your friend in training for endurance events.

HHN1 has a jump from 16 to a 20 miler, 4-5 weeks later - shortly before taper. Boards plan has some longer runs (16 and 18, for instance) compared to the HHN1, but again maxing out to a 20 (one of two overall) shortly before taper. I note that the step back in the taper is more gradual in the boards plan compared to HHN1 which goes from 20 to 12, whereas boards goes from 20 to 18. Anyway...

The grads intermediate plan (obviously I didn't write it, so feel free to correct how I'm interpreting its mission!) echoes the pre-taper of the others in that its longest run (3 hours) hits before things wind down. And two weeks before that you're on 2 hours 30 mins. For the slower runners amongst us I wouldn't get too caught up on 3 hours not tipping into higher double digits mileage - i.e. that this would somehow hinder your performance on the big day. When running Conn a pacer asked about my longest run - I said 16 (really it was 15.86 and I ran that on April 1st, race was 22nd). It was 16.06 for DCM 17. Have faith in other elements of the plan, pretty sure some of the tempo stuff helped me knowing what my legs/body had been through. All things said, as ariana`says, make a judgement call on what you feel will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Sub 4 is definitely on my to-do list - I've done the DCM twice, the first one was 4:17, and then last year I came in at 4:01. I am doing the Berlin in Sept with my wife and am feeling confident already that I'll break the 4 and then some.

Started my training plan yesterday with a jonty 3 mile run. I think where I failed in previous years is lack on variety in my mid-week training - no hill runs\tempos\etc. - that and more core training should really help me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I tried one of the Wednesday Workouts on the meno plan today just to try it out. It's the one in Week 2 "Progression run"
    Wednesday session: 2 miles easy warm up followed by 8 minutes steady (MP + 3-4%); 8 milnutes @ MP; 8 Minutes @ HMP; 8 Minutes Hard (approx 10kpace); 2 miles c/d at the end. The run should be all continuous. Try not to overestimate the 'steady', and MP sections or it will get very difficult at the end. For the last 8 minute sesction pretty much go as fast as you can while retaining a constant pace. It will likely come in and around your 10k pace.

First off I really enjoyed the run.
    Reason I'm posting about it though is to get advice re the paces I did for each step to see if I'm doing it right in relation to what I should be doing for a sub 4hr.
    These are the average paces I did.

3km Warm up : 6:15/km
    8 min steady: 5:50/km
    8 min MP: 5:30/km
    8 min HMP : 5:10/km
    8 min Hard: 4:35/km
    3km Warm down: 6:00km

I did find it hard to keep a constant pace on each and sometimes had to slow down or speed up so the above are averages.

ewc78 wrote: »
    I tried one of the Wednesday Workouts on the meno plan today just to try it out. It's the one in Week 2 "Progression run"
    Wednesday session: 2 miles easy warm up followed by 8 minutes steady (MP + 3-4%); 8 milnutes @ MP; 8 Minutes @ HMP; 8 Minutes Hard (approx 10kpace); 2 miles c/d at the end. The run should be all continuous. Try not to overestimate the 'steady', and MP sections or it will get very difficult at the end. For the last 8 minute sesction pretty much go as fast as you can while retaining a constant pace. It will likely come in and around your 10k pace.

Reason I'm posting about it though is to get advice re the paces I did for each step to see if I'm doing it right in relation to what I should be doing for a sub 4hr.

I did find it hard to keep a constant pace on each and sometimes had to slow down or speed up so the above are averages.

The paces look about right in relation to each other. Assuming they actually have a realistic relationship with your fitness right now and not just picked because they correspond with Sub 4. Based on your 5k time they would appear to be bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

thats my friday after work session sorted!

I am trying to focus on neg split sessions .
    first half of a typical friday afternoon sesh would be 16km steady but i will try to incorporate neg splits as in 8km easy and 2nd 8km mp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's one of the things I liked about the meno plan - lots of interesting sessions like this. For runners relatively new to this kind of work (like I was the first time I did this plan), the fact that it's broken down into individual 8-minute 'sections' means it kind of flies past and before you know it you've completed a very solid progression run.

seanin4711 wrote: »

first half of a typical friday afternoon sesh would be 16km steady but i will try to incorporate neg splits as in 8km easy and 2nd 8km mp.

That's quite a session - what's the rest of the week like?

• Advertisement

Good idea to try out a couple of sessions before deciding on a plan. I like the look of the progression run. I won't be doing meno but i like the idea of the variety as well. Well done :)

Is it not very early to be running half your run at MP :eek: I'm not planning to start specific dcm training for another 9 weeks so excuse me if i'm freaking out a tiny bit :o

Murph_D wrote: »
    That's quite a session - what's the rest of the week like?

let me digress

the workout posted is a great session,but i would not be coupling it another distance session.
    sorry for the confusion!

Hows the training going in this ideal running weather?
    5 days a week for me

Tuesday moderate 10-12km
    Wednesday speed session 8km approx 1km up 1km down x 3
    Thursday moderate 10-12km
    Friday 16km steady
    Sunday LSR 1hr 45min/half Mara

ballpark 70km per week
    with 4/5 sessions done on cross country 1km loop.

;)

i will keep it going with this plan as long as i can
    touch wood no niggles as yet.

let me digress

the workout posted is a great session,but i would not be coupling it another distance session.
    sorry for the confusion!

Hows the training going in this ideal running weather?
    5 days a week for me

Tuesday moderate 10-12km
    Wednesday speed session 8km approx 1km up 1km down x 3
    Thursday moderate 10-12km
    Friday 16km steady
    Sunday LSR 1hr 45min/half Mara

ballpark 70km per week
    with 4/5 sessions done on cross country 1km loop.

;)

i will keep it going with this plan as long as i can
    touch wood no niggles as yet.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but have you no easy paced runs at all? Also is your LSR done at half marathon pace?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong but have you no easy paced runs at all? Also is your LSR done at half marathon pace?

lsr is recovery easy zone - for me sub 140bpm

friday is also very similar 16km with some fartlek thrown in.
    37 kms are low intensity workouts

Ah I see. I thought the / half mara related to the pace of the run. Also on the pace chart I use moderate and steady paces are quite a bit faster than easy. Is it not recommended that 80/85% of weekly running should be easy/ low intensity?

I see DCM is selling our fast. How many here are doing it and have you decided on a plan?
    I'm 99% sure I'll be using the meno plan, would be great if a few others are also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I see DCM is selling our fast. How many here are doing it and have you decided on a plan?
    I'm 99% sure I'll be using the meno plan, would be great if a few others are also.

I’m doing it and more than likely the grads plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Meno crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Signed up and have decided I'll definitely follow the meno plan.
    Going to start my training 2 weeks early as I'll be away for 2 weeks in July and don't fancy the session runs in the heat. Will just do easy runs for those 2 weeks.

I'm in and doing the Grads plan. Contemplating starting 1 week early as there's a race in August that i'd like to work into the plan so i can partially repeat a week then and i'll be back on track.

I'm racing a good bit for the next month, then I'll do the final few weeks of the Base Plan. I've a week long holiday in July which i'll take off completely from running, i think my family need a week off from my running, before i start into it and the timing suits :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Hey Guys Great idea for a thread. I recently ran a 1:47 half, as dublin will be my first marathon i just want to enjoy it. So i plan to go out with the 4hr pacers and take it all in while hoping to stay with them. I'm going to follow the boards plan starting in june. So looking forward to seeing everyone's progress

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

I like the idea of this thread. After coming very close on my first marathon 4:00:24, my next 5 were > 4:15 and last year my training was better and brought it back to 4:03:30 so maybe some advice from other sub-4 chasers might push me over that line!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Best tip I can give you, any anyone else, is to buy this book, read it from cover to cover and start training:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

It worked for me, and a lot of other runners. When someone talks about P&D, this is what they're talking about.

Can I ask whether which of the schedules you followed and how rigidly you did so? I loosely followed the 55m plan last year - found it very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Degsy123 wrote: »
    Can I ask whether which of the schedules you followed and how rigidly you did so? I loosely followed the 55m plan last year - found it very tough.

I initially followed the 55 mile schedule and got myself from 4:06 to 3:55, and for the next one I followed the 70 mile schedule and got myself to 3:28. I followed it very closely on both occasions.

The first time I opened the book and looked at the 55 mile schedule I thought this was just insane, no way could I run that much. A year later I didn't even bat an eyelid when doing 70 miles. It's all relative and you get used to the workload.

Note: I had the first edition of the book, and they might have tweaked the schedules since then.

Mileage is really only difficult when you don’t have the base. If you’ve been running 2,000 miles per year for a couple of years, the ramp up to 55 isn’t going to faze you. If you’ve been running much less, it could well break you. Choose the mileage version that you can comfortably sustain - whatever plan you follow.

Another thing about Advanced Marathoning - read the book and understand the principles and the paces. Much better than just borrowing the schedule and hope for the best. It’s not an easy plan, and I’d say only suitable with at least 2 or three decent marathon efforts under your belt. (the clue is in the title). It’s certainly advanced for a sub-4 attempt. Maybe too advanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Murph_D wrote: »
    Another thing about Advanced Marathoning - read the book and understand the principles and the paces. Much better than just borrowing the schedule and hope for the best. It’s not an easy plan, and I’d say only suitable with at least 2 or three decent marathon efforts under your belt. (the clue is in the title). It’s certainly advanced for a sub-4 attempt. Maybe too advanced?

I agree on 2 things: 1) definitely read the book and understand the principles instead of just following the schedule. What I learned from that book was the foundation of my entire running career. 2) Yes, it may well be a bit much for someone's first marathon. I missed 2 or 3 weeks of training for my first attempt with that book due to shin splints. I still broke 4, though.

However, I disagree that it's too advanced for a sub-4 attempt, not least due to the fact that I did exactly that. In fact, I think the title is possibly the worst part of that book - as far as marathon training goes, it's actually not all that advanced (try any one of Lydiard's books if you want something advanced in comparison, or Canova for another level altogether)

thats the target for me across all 5 sessions combined per week.
    low intensity high vol will make up 70% of that.(2 sessions)
    20% moderate (2 sessions )and 10% speedplay (1 session).

nice and humid this eve around Loughrea.

Hope your training is going well and injury free.

DCM sold out btw!:o

Berlin the target for me (Dublin option would have been nice!)

22nd july.
    Half 25€ and full marathon 35€ in Boston Scientific Ballybrit Galway for chosen charity ability west.
    1 mile loops block marathon(not everyones cup of tea ,i know) using it as a training run -20miler and walk the last 6 miles.

So according to my calculations anyone doing the 17 week meno plan will be starting on Monday July 2nd.
    The very same day I go on holidays with the wife and 3 kids! Looks like I'll miss the first week of training bar maybe squeezing in a run or 2 while on holidays.
    Not an ideal way to start a training plan.!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So start it now!

• Advertisement

Reminder re Meno says to throw a few hill sprints or strides into an easy run.

Noting this now otherwise I'll forget.

Advertisement