Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I gasped when I saw Ellsworth take that Styles Clash. I was really scared and you could hear the announcers were the same way. I'm surprised Vince is allowing that move be used as he's usually very strict on moves with any sort of risk to the neck, i.e. sit-down piledrivers being banned.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I gasped when I saw Ellsworth take that Styles Clash. I was really scared and you could hear the announcers were the same way. I'm surprised Vince is allowing that move be used as he's usually very strict on moves with any sort of risk to the neck, i.e. sit-down piledrivers being banned.

IIRC, Jericho was the one who went to bat for AJ and told Vince he could trust him to do the move. I'll take a guess that, despite it not being AJ's fault, he'll be told that it's back on the banned list...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't remember offhand which match it was but everyone hear the voices? I'm sure it mentioned Hector? Even JBL said he was hearing voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,601 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Miz and Ziggler are still doing well which is great. Styles pretty much continuing being the most consistently entertaining for the whole of 2016.

You can see they're trying hard to push the Orton v Wyatt feud with it getting the headline spot again on Smackdown but it does seem like the one where they're not nailing it like they seem to have been almost everything else. It's hard to feel that much like you're cheering for Orton or care that much about Wyatt getting his comeuppance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Now that Kane has disappeared I think they should start splicing him into the show (think Tyler Durden in Fight Club) but only Randy Orton & viewers see him nobody else notices.
    I'm kicking around the idea of Kane's ghost haunting him in a wwe's version of a Christmas Carol. All the terrible stuff I'm enduring cause of Bray Wyatt is inspiring a dread of creativity from me

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

they have taken Kane and should assimilate him into the group ala ministry style

this is the better show by a mile atm

Just realised Hawkins didn't actually fight this week so looked it up to be sure and...

At this rate, I expect a mixed tag match with him teaming with Eva Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Lord TSC wrote:
    IIRC, Jericho was the one who went to bat for AJ and told Vince he could trust him to do the move. I'll take a guess that, despite it not being AJ's fault, he'll be told that it's back on the banned list...

If anything I'd say AJ will get a pat on his back for thinking on his feet so quickly to protect him as much as he could. If you watch it closely AJ notices he tucks his chin as he's leaping. He doesn't follow through with his upper body which would have driven his neck further into the mat.

Instead, he pushes his upper body up as vertically as he can to give Ellsworth as safe a landing as he could. Not sure I'm explaining this as clearly as I want to but just have a look at it again slowly. It looked way worse than it is but AJ deserves a hell of a lot of credit for reacting so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Delighted for the guy.
    Receiving a lot of great positive messages, THANK YOU #WWEUniverse you're the reason I've made it this far

CvDblWSVIAAnr1M.jpg
    Visit http://wweshop.com to purchase the official #WWE #jamesellsworth tee-shirt and check out all the great deals they have

• Advertisement

Am seriously tempted to buy that :P

I'd imagine they'll let AJ get his heat back and just destroy him tonight. In the days of blood, having James left a bloody mess would have been a great moment for AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Am seriously tempted to buy that :P

I'd imagine they'll let AJ get his heat back and just destroy him tonight. In the days of blood, having James left a bloody mess would have been a great moment for AJ.

Tonight would be a great night to debut someone like Samoa Joe. Styles to squash James and then beat him down bad after the match only for Joe's killer music to hit and confront Styles, it would be epic but they'll probably have Ambrose do it and it will be meh.

At first I read it as the price being $5. I also thought it looked fake, but I guess it's just a mockup anyway.

Yikes, 0 posts for last nights Smackdown?

Loved the Ellsworth match (the Goldberg-esque chants were brilliant). Otunga has actually come on no end ("No chin music!"). Otherwise, a solid but unspectacular show, but thats Smackdown's tag line. It's all about being consistantly solid.

Actually, that shouldn't come as a surprise given its the former NXT guy writing it cause it's how I'd describe NXT's TV shows too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Otunga was brilliant - the No Chin Music was a great call!

and hitting JBL with the Mikey "body fat %" insult was gas! (and it's good for JBL to take an insult)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Delighted to Ellsworth what a feel good story. Thats the beauty of pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wasn't hugely won over by this episode, I have to say. A couple of things really annoyed me:

The main event was an opportunity for AJ to get some real heat, if Bryan had banned Ambrose from ringside, allowing AJ to beat the living piss out of Ellsworth. Instead, we got a goofy pseudo-comedy sketch centred on the decreasingly funny Ambrose. Anyone who lets that muppet "get in their head" instantly loses credibility and I think AJ's character took a serious dent last night.

I remain as uninvested as I ever am in any angle featuring Bray "ramble ramble buzzards ramble ramble I'm a god ramble ramble eat the clean pin" Wyatt. Shamelessly robbing the Undertaker's coffin gimmick just shows how desperate they are to compensate for how atrociously booked he has been in the last few years.

Are we supposed to root for Nikki Bella, despite Carmella very capably demonstrating what a whiney pain in the arse she is in the Total Bellas montage? There's also too much truth in her using Cena and her looks for her success for Carmella to get any heat bringing it up. Replace Carmella with someone like Becky, and make Nikki a heel, and that segment would have made sense. The way they spun it, it'll achieve very little.

Natalya is now trying to get over as some crazy cat person? WTF?

Curt Hawkins doing an Eva Marie... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Delighted to Ellsworth what a feel good story. Thats the beauty of pro wrestling.

He's an inspiration to jobbers all around the world, someone for Zayn and Neville to look up to that one day they might get to main event for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The ME was funny in parts but they need to go too back to serious WHC stuff and move Ellsworth away from it. Is Ambrose injured as he didn't have a match since No Mercy ?

Bray Wyatt meh, badly needs a intercon title run but is the idea of his character too get into his opponents heads and for them to overcome him ??

Poor Jack Swagger losing against Corbin (who has the chrisma of a plank of wood) so quickly

The 2 hour slot(1hr 20 without ads) is definitely an easier watch than raw

BTW, anyone else totally exhausted of ****s to give about Wyatt, check this out if you haven't already:

IMO, it's his best "how they should book" to date, and the angle would do wonders to both Bliss and Wyatt's careers.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The main event was an opportunity for AJ to get some real heat, if Bryan had banned Ambrose from ringside, allowing AJ to beat the living piss out of Ellsworth. Instead, we got a goofy pseudo-comedy sketch centred on the decreasingly funny Ambrose. Anyone who lets that muppet "get in their head" instantly loses credibility and I think AJ's character took a serious dent last night.

I do believe AJ will get his heat back. But there's still a few weeks till the PPV, so I guess they feel its a story with Ellsworth thats worth dragging on for another week or two. Historically, they do have a habit of not knowing when to capitalise on something, and there's the fear they'll just keep going and going till everyone gets bored.

Not there yet, personally, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Neil3030 wrote: »
    BTW, anyone else totally exhausted of ****s to give about Wyatt, check this out if you haven't already:

IMO, it's his best "how they should book" to date, and the angle would do wonders to both Bliss and Wyatt's careers.

Pretty cool angle but would be a lot different with Rowan out injured and Harper with Wyatt now

Can't stop imagining an angle if bray got bliss pregnent (keyfabe) and then she loses the baby (similar to the Kane/Lita thing years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You have to say fair play to Naomi getting herself over with her entrance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The ME was funny in parts but they need to go too back to serious WHC stuff and move Ellsworth away from it. Is Ambrose injured as he didn't have a match since No Mercy ?

TBH this is just a fun sub plot distraction to the fact that they are spinning their wheels with the ME storyline until after Raw's HIAC PPV as they have to wait until Survivor Series before Dean will once again (lose) face off with AJ.

Can't help but feel good for Ellsworth getting this exposure and (tbh he is doing a good job in the role given) for those thinking AJ shoulda destroyed him to get heat, that may still be coming as afterall SDs very own Goldberg is now 2-0 in his streak vs Styles so no doubt the two will face off again in some form again.

Otunga was a bit better but tbh I don't remember anything he said all show that wasn't Ellsworth related.

On the topic of Bray, all they have to do with him is start giving him some feud ending (ideally clean) wins. They could book him in awesome angles and yeah that Sister Abigail one could be decent but all they have to do is have him win out in a few feuds and suddenly he would seem like more of a genuine threat and his words would start having more meaning again instead of just being blah blah blah fireflies, god, buzzards, fear and wait are you people still listening?

I don't think better feuds would give his promos more meaning. He's been through Bryan, Cena, Orton, Reigns now and the promos have never really stopped being impeccably well delivered garbage.

I think he's allowed write them himself. He shouldn't be. Writers aren't great but they aren't as bad either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think better feuds would give his promos more meaning. He's been through Bryan, Cena, Orton, Reigns now and the promos have never really stopped being impeccably well delivered garbage.

I think he's allowed write them himself. He shouldn't be. Writers aren't great but they aren't as bad either.

I'm not necessarily saying better feuds but if he won some of the feuds.

It's hard for people to take his words seriously when the end result is always him eating the pinfall as the feud ends.

CSF wrote: »

I'm not necessarily saying better feuds but if he won some of the feuds.

It's hard for people to take his words seriously when the end result is always him eating the pinfall as the feud ends.
    That's true, no question. But I still think the problem is that the promos are absolute garbage. He has excellent delivery so IMO it's the content that needs to be improved. The writers have come up with gold in the Miz/Ziggler feud so maybe it's time for him to let someone else make what he's saying interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually thought this was a poor show and one of the worst since the brand split.

I'm so over this Orton/Wyatt feud by now and I just want it to end already. They gave us a lame DQ finish to start off.

Alexa beating Naomi was to be expected but this women's division is really lacking without Becky on the show.

Curt Hawkins...I just want to switch off the TV when I see him.

The Carmella/Nikki Total Divas advertisement did nothing for me.

The 6 man seems to be setting up the Spirit Squad as the next challengers for the tag titles which just makes those belts feel like garbage. The Usos and American Alpha ought to be battling for the titles. American Alpha's stock has fallen so low.

Corbin beating Swagger...I still see nothing in Corbin. His promo was trash.

Ellsworth beating Styles was entertaining for what it was, but why am I watching a jobber who will not be anything more than a cult favourite get a push at the moment on a show that is absolutely starved of star power? Answer: because Vince gets a kick out of him. All those chin jokes seemed as if they were being fed to the announcers via Vince and it just fell flat with me.

I feel American Alpha should be pushed way better and Ziggler also ought to be doing much better off of the win over Miz, but this just seemed like a show that was designed to be in cruise control while we wait for Raw's PPV to end. But Raw's best thing right now is promotion for Survivor Series, so there's no reason why Smackdown couldn't promote something decent for that too.

T'was a poor week for wrestling with the exception of one tremendous segment to close Raw.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Can't help but feel good for Ellsworth getting this exposure and (tbh he is doing a good job in the role given) for those thinking AJ shoulda destroyed him to get heat, that may still be coming as afterall SDs very own Goldberg is now 2-0 in his streak vs Styles so no doubt the two will face off again in some form again.

It's too late now, imo. The way things unfolded last night, AJ looks like a tool who was enraged by Ambrose's antics, which were on the same intellectual level as a two-year-old banging saucepans together.

Imagine instead, if the show opened with AJ gloating about how he had used his leverage as champ to make Bryan rule that if Ambrose got involved in the ME, he'd be banned from future title shots for a year. You then keep the sob story vignettes of Ellsworth, telling his grandkids, etc. Cut to main event, AJ beats seven shades of urine out Ellsworth, refusing to pin him. He continues to ruthlessly pound him, while gloating, "are you going to show this to your grandkids" etc. Commentators are aghast, crowd are fuming, nothing can be done. Ambrose finally does what's right, sacrificing a title shot to come down and make the save. AJ backs away smirking, as Ambrose stands over a motionless Ellsworth. Paramedics wheel him out to silence to close out the show.

• Advertisement

Re: the complaints about Spirit Squad and Ellsworth being in those roles. I'd agree if we were in a pre-brand split situation, but with the small roster that Smackdown has, if you're getting Usos and American Alpha involved already, what are you going to do come Mania? Rehash 5 month old feuds? Do it with the Vaudevillains or the Ascension. These sort of feuds will put the champions over and space things out.

With the Ellsworth/Styles thing, he's there to put over Ambrose. If they went and put Apollo Crews or Baron Corbin in that role, people would be even more annoyed.

And what's good about it, is that even though Spirit Squad and Ellsworth are clearly filler feuds with no intention of putting those guys over, they've still put effort into the writing of the feud and there's an actual story there. These kind of feuds on Raw never seemed to get anything. Lost in the 3 hour shuffle.

Advertisement