Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

martyos121 wrote: »
    Point out the exact part of my post where I explicitly stated such a thing. I merely agreed with briany's idea and threw in one of my own along with it. If he's retiring due to injury, then it's obviously a serious issue with his health where he can't go on wrestling. Why on earth would the doctor clear him for another match if that was the case? He's not the type of lad that would retire unless he was told he had to. As I said, it's highly unlikely he's going to retire anyways, it's just speculation at this stage due to him being pulled from a few matches.

you like the idea of Sheamus "ending" his career thats a work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

To be honest, fans are too smart to the business today. If a beat down angle was done by anyone, be it Sheamus or Kevin Owens, fans would simply view it as "writing off Bryan". It wouldn't carry the weight of "That guy killed Bryan's career! What a dick!" because fans understand why it is being done. They won't get the heat the angle deserves, plain and simple.

The best option if Bryan is forced to retire, is to have him come out, make a passionate speach and ask for his retirement match against someone he loves to wrestle. If anything, it's the perfect chance to debut someone from NXT like Sami Zayn or Finn Bálor or Hideo Itami. Bryan could hype his matches with Hideo from the indies and want his last match to be a showcase of this, or how he loved wrestling Sami, or say he wants the chance to wrestle the man who will replace him as the best wrestler in the world in Bálor. Now you have Bryan getting an emotional and deserved send off, the fans are treated with respect and you put over a debuting talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

if he has to retire storylines > real life

Have someone beat him till there is nothing left and wheel him out, but just dont show up again, no stories about him retiring due to health, no stories about his comeback as there wont be one, just disappears

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

montyrebel wrote: »
    if he has to retire storylines > real life

Have someone beat him till there is nothing left and wheel him out, but just dont show up again, no stories about him retiring due to health, no stories about his comeback as there wont be one, just disappears

its 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

That's the strangest thing about it. Bryan more than most people on WWE's roster is capable of radically adjusting his offense to be less punishing, but suffer little in terms of quality from it. It's weird to see him work that high impact style when he doesn't have to.

Maybe he has insurance with Lloyds of London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe he will the new co-host trainer of Tough Enough along side Taz.

If he has to retire maybe he could become the new head trainer at NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Maybe he has insurance with Lloyds of London.

They stopped selling that when almost every wrestler who bought the insurance ended up making a claim; while some of them even returned to wrestling even though the whole idea of the payout was that they would be unable to wrestle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

They stopped selling that when almost every wrestler who bought the insurance ended up making a claim; while some of them even returned to wrestling even though the whole idea of the payout was that they would be unable to wrestle again.

Rick Rude springs to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Best squash match ever!

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Rick Rude springs to mind.

Yeah Road Warrior Animal as well. It was also the reason Bret took no bumps on his return in 2010 and didn't have a proper match against Vince (well he had health reasons as well). I'm not sure if that would have stood up in court but I suppose Lloyd's decided to move on and forget the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Just watching that Sheamus/Noble squash again.Loving the sadistic fan picked up on the mic at the 2 minute mark-he's laughing like a maniac and telling Sheamus to "Give him some more big red"!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Tssk wrote: »
    Just watching that Sheamus/Noble squash again.Loving the sadistic fan picked up on the mic at the 2 minute mark-he's laughing like a maniac and telling Sheamus to "Give him some more big red"!

Noble's sell on that powerboat is awesome, and always freaks me out. Anytime I see that clip, it gives me serious chills

Meltzer has said recently that all these rumours of fall out between Stone Cold and the WWE aren't as they seem - he also said Cena's use of the stunner, and Steve's reaction to it aren't coincidence either.

Will post a link if i can get one

Edit - his remarks were on Wrestling Observer Radio on 16th April:

"... as far as Cena using the Stunner & everything that has gone down (Austin not doing the WWE Network Podcast, being upset about Cena using the Stunner on a recent podcast etc), you would eb very naive to believe it is just a coincidence that it is all happening at the same time"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

So is that the final nail in the coffin of turning John Cena heel then if Steve Austin feuds with him? I think it would be so much better if he had something to do with Seth Rollins. I must say though, I have found John Cena more enjoyable to watch in 2015 than I have in years. Not since his title unification match with Randy Orton at TLC 2012 and his rematch at the Royal Rumble the following month have I found him this likeable. The matches have been consistently pretty good for the United States Championship and he's exciting to watch.

Nah I think the clean babyface vs the ultimate antihero is the perfect feud. No need for Cena to turn heel. Unless Reigns really takes off, Cena will remain a babyface. I think it's more likely Reigns will turn though.

I'll say we will see Cena vs Rollins before then, presumably for the title.

Regarding whether it's a work....hmm, I really don't know.

But Cena did do something similar with the Rock. He called him out about going to Hollywood instead of staying with WWE a few years before the Rock returned. On Jericho's podcast, Cena said that although he was saying what he believed; his motivation was to try to get the Rock to return and have some fuel for the fire. So it wouldn't surprise me if Cena is trying to annoy Austin a bit to encourage him to come back. Whether or not Austin is in on it....we'll see I suppose.

I really would be surprised if Steve Austin can still produce the goods as well though. The reasons that he went from the ring all those years ago would still stand. The peak years of his career actually happened after he was fairly past it physically due to injury. I always look back on his career and think that it was never as good in-ring as it could have been if he hadn't had that match at SummerSlam 1997. However, I'm sure I'd still mark out hard ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He's said that he'd be good to go physically. The problem is if he wants to. For the likes of Austin and Taker wrestling occasional matches, they have to train for a good few months to shake the rust off so they're crisp and wrestling the match they want. It'd be slightly different for the likes of Triple H (who's still on the road and presumably training as he would've anyway) and The Rock (who never stopped with the physicality due to his movie roles) so is a much bigger proposition. It's also down to JR's two C's: cash and creative. The cash would be there for Mania 32, but is Cena someone Austin particularly wants to work? I've never heard any indication either way.

I thought that the closest we ever were to him coming back was a few years ago when they kept comparing CM Punk to him and they did that interview with Jim Ross to promote the WWE 13 video game. Steve Austin has always seemed to like John Cena, as far as I can see. But the stuff with CM Punk seemed like they were potentially building towards something. I guess that was just another opportunity lost. Still, I'd rather Austin vs. Seth Rollins!

• Advertisement

Interesting how the WWE European tour has changed in a week. Part way through the English leg of the tour Cena and Rusev joined the line up we got. So now:

The "A" tour - taken from the Budapest, Hungry lineup yesterday:
    * Jimmy Uso defeated Bad News Barrett.

*Cesaro & Tyson Kidd defeated New Day & Los Matadores to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles.

*Natalya, Emma & Layla defeated Tamina, Cameron & Rosa Mendes.

*Finn Balór defeated Adam Rose.

*Roman Reigns & Dolph Ziggler defeated Big Show & Sheamus.

*Damien Sandow & Zack Ryder defeated The Miz & Fandango.

*Bray Wyatt defeated Erick Rowan.

*John Cena defeated Rusev to retain U.S. Title.

The stinky sounding "B" tour - taken from Toulouse, France yesterday:
    Eden is ring announcer.
    *Ryback defeated Kane.

*Prime Time players defeated Axelmania & Zack Ryder.

*Stardust defeated Goldust.

*Lucha dragons defeated Ascension.

*Nikki Bella defeated Naomi.

WWE Championship: Randy Orton defeated Seth Rollins by DQ by JJ Security interference.

Approximately 4,000 fans.

A poor show in term of in ring action.

It was an easy night for all WWE Superstars with a lot of comedy. The kids were wearing Cena shirts. To my surprise audience were largely adult.

Most popular: Randy Orton

Biggest heat: Seth Rollins.

I have a feeling this could all lead to a big McMahon / Austin feud. Vince is too old to face Austin now, so he could have Cena take on Steve on his behalf.

Vince would say that Cena is everything he wanted Austin to be, but he blew it. He blew the Podcast deal, he walked out on the WWE in the past etc. Cena is the model company man, who would never dream of letting the company down. He's everything Vince wanted from Austin back in 1998 when he won the title for the first time.

I think all this podcast stuff (plus the injuction of selling TShirts etc) is all co-ordinated to a big payoff at Mania next year. It's all too convenient

Of course, Cena would have to turn heel to side with McMahon, but I think in the next 6 months is the right time to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Fair play to Zack Ryder making two house shows in different countries yesterday

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Meltzer has said recently that all these rumours of fall out between Stone Cold and the WWE aren't as they seem - he also said Cena's use of the stunner, and Steve's reaction to it aren't coincidence either.

Will post a link if i can get one

Edit - his remarks were on Wrestling Observer Radio on 16th April:

"... as far as Cena using the Stunner & everything that has gone down (Austin not doing the WWE Network Podcast, being upset about Cena using the Stunner on a recent podcast etc), you would eb very naive to believe it is just a coincidence that it is all happening at the same time"

Just listened to the podcast there and this has been taken out of context. The question was about whether Cena doing Austin's stunner was related to WWE taking the podcast from Austin. In other words, were they pissed with Austin and that's why Cena started doing the stunner - Meltzer said he thought so; otherwise it would be a co-incidence. He was not insinuating that Austin's comments were not genuine; and he wasn't saying that Austin's response was part of the co-incidence.

The co-incidence would be if Cena started using the stunner the same time as Austin lost the podcast; he's saying this wasn't a co-incidence and it's all part of WWE not being happy with Austin. He's not saying the whole thing is a work with Austin involved.

Full question and answer:

Alvarez: "On Steve Austin's podcast he didn't seem thrilled about Cena using a variation of the stunner. Do you think the recent issue between he and WWE with his podcast led to WWE deciding to have Cena do his move and do you think Austin's negative reaction on the move is based on the WWE podcast?"

Meltzer: "I don't know about Austin's reaction, I couldn't say and he can speak for himself. As far as Cena dong the Stunner & everything that has gone down, you would be very naive to believe that it is just a coincidence that this is all happening at the same time."

Meltzer has always said Austin is unlikely to come back for WrestleMania 32, if he suddenly thought otherwise he would make a bigger story of it. Instead it was just a comment in response to a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Jesus, if he comes back and Cena is who he'll face, there is every chance i will shed tears uncontrollably for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

The obvious thing to get Austin back would be tell him if he puts over Cesaro Vince will push him to the moon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Austin is coming back, I think Triple H is the perfect opponent. Sure it's been done before, but never at WrestleMania. As someone already mentioned, make it Stone Cold vs. Vince II, but have Triple H fight on behalf of Vince and the Authority. There's just so much they could do with that feud, and the promos would be unforgettable. Rollins would be a good choice too, but I'd rather he was in the title match with Reigns (who I boldly predict will be accepted by the fans by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,852 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cena v Austin in Texas would be all kinds of amazeballs.

You'd have to be there for the crowd reaction alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

martyos121 wrote: »
    If Austin is coming back, I think Triple H is the perfect opponent. Sure it's been done before, but never at WrestleMania. As someone already mentioned, make it Stone Cold vs. Vince II, but have Triple H fight on behalf of Vince and the Authority. There's just so much they could do with that feud, and the promos would be unforgettable. Rollins would be a good choice too, but I'd rather he was in the title match with Reigns (who I boldly predict will be accepted by the fans by then).

Tbh, i'm done with Nostalgia feuds. A feud between HHH and Stone Cold, or HHH and The Rock in 2015 is wrong. There's plenty of wrestlers who could benefit from wrestling Stone Cold/The Rock and getting the rub in the process. Although I'm not a big fan of Stone Cold Vs John Cena either, but at least it's something that hasn't been done before.

I like the idea of Stone Cold Vs Seth Rollins though. If Austin wrestled him at Wrestlmania and put him over, that would be awesome. Bray Wyatt as well.

• Advertisement

PWInsider
    For those who asked about rumors Daniel Bryan was pulled because of a concussion suffered on the Europoean tour, WWE sources have denied that and said he was pulled because he had been banged up and the company wanted to give him some rest. If there is a deeper, more serious reason beyond that explanation, we have not been able to confirm it. Bryan was flown home from Europe last Wednesday.

Meltzer said the same thing essentially. His status will probably be more clear after Raw and Smackdown tapings this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement