Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

rovert wrote: »

What was this before it disappeared?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

An File wrote: »
    What was this before it disappeared?

Tough Enough return date:

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/585466612083511298

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Best bet - get Heyman back booking the show

Worst bet Smackdown to become three hour show with hour and half dedicated to raw replays. Another hour for promos and adverts and 30 mins of wrassling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Loughc wrote: »
    Worst bet Smackdown to become three hour show with hour and half dedicated to raw replays. Another hour for promos and adverts and 30 mins of wrassling.

Hey now, they NEED that extra hour of ads to pay Big Show's ironclad contract! He's an indispensable member of the roster dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WWE Smackdown in American is moving to the USA Network in 2016. A bigger channel. So expect it to be a second "A" show for three weeks until WWE give up like always. But given USA is the flagship channel the Network may want more from WWE than that. Which will probably lead to the McMahons and Cena on Smackdown and stuff like that.

What night will it air and will it be live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What night will it air and will it be live?

Thursday and still taped.

The opposite touring crew to ours had their first tour date tonight:
    * Eden is doing ring announcing

* Dean Ambrose defeated Luke Harper with Dirty Deeds. Ambrose got a very good pop

* Zack Ryder defeated Bo Dallas. Bo cut a promo before the match and got nice heat but the match itself didn’t get much of any attention

* Glasgow Rangers striker is out to be the guest time keeper. He gets booed

* Sin Cara and Kalisto defeated The Ascension

* Stardust comes out for a promo and knocks Glasgow before defeating Goldust in a good match. Goldust was great here

* John Cena defeated Rusev with the United States Title on the line. Lana got good heat before the match and ended up getting ejected by the referee. Cena won with the Attitude Adjustment

* Naomi and Paige defeated The Bella Twins

* Ryback defeated Kane

* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins came out to a mixed reaction while Randy Orton got a huge pop. Orton won by DQ when J&J Security interfered. Rollins cut a promo after a beatdownbut Orton fought back and hit them all with RKO’s. Orton celebrated to end the show.

Biggest Pops: John Cena, Randy Orton, Dean Ambrose

Biggest Heat: Rusev and Lana, Seth Rollins, Bo Dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see Paul Bearer's family have his HOF ring up for sale on ebay. Bit of a shi5ty thing to do really
    http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/569937-paul-bearer-wwe-hall-of-fame-ring-being-sold-ronda-rousey-comments-on-walmart-book-ban

Ebay link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/271833073584?_mwBanner=1

The engraving inside is a bit amateur hour!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I see Paul Bearer's family have his HOF ring up for sale on ebay. Bit of a shi5ty thing to do really
    http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/569937-paul-bearer-wwe-hall-of-fame-ring-being-sold-ronda-rousey-comments-on-walmart-book-ban

Machos will be up soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

While I agree its a pretty shi5ty thing to do, if I had $22,000 lying around going to waste I'd definitely buy it, so I can't really judge them too harshly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

orestes wrote: »
    While I agree its a pretty shi5ty thing to do, if I had $22,000 lying around going to waste I'd definitely buy it, so I can't really judge them too harshly.

It would be nice if Taker bought it I'm sure he could easily afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

orestes wrote: »
    Meh I think you can. There is a difference between wanting to buy one because you want it then there is selling an item that represents your Father's career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair, we don't know the mindset going into selling it. It could be painful for them to have around. They may have serious debt and need to sell anything to keep a roof over their heads, all the while being devastated. Or maybe Paul didn't give much of a **** about the HOF to begin with so it doesn't really mean much to them. There's a million possible reasons beyond them being money grabbing and inconsiderate. In fact them not loving and cherishing their father's memory is towards the bottom of the list of likely reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Didn't one of the sons pass away recently as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

An File wrote: »
    Didn't one of the sons pass away recently as well?

Yes. Michael Moody passed away in his sleep last year. He was 34 years old. No cause of death given. Tough couple of years for that family.

That ring would be a serious thing to be selling so they must really need the money. Whether or not William Moody cared much about being in the HoF, the ring is still a testament to his achievements in the wrestling biz and a real memorial piece in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/10/wrestlers-sue-wwe-injuries-brutal-brain-damage-lawsuit/
    Three wrestlers have sued the WWE on behalf of all current and former wrestlers who have suffered serious brain and other damage as a result of "egregious mistreatment" by the organization.
    Big Russ McCullough, Ryan Sakoda and Luther Reigns (obvious stage names) claim the WWE has known for years ... the brutality in the ring has resulted in dementia, Alzheimer's disease and a lot more.
    The lawsuit -- obtained by TMZ -- claims the WWE, "under the guise of providing 'entertainment' .... has for decades subjected its wrestlers to extreme physical brutality."
    The suit acknowledges wrestling is scripted but nonetheless unrelentingly brutal, claiming "WWE is in the business of selling violence."
    The legal docs chronicle various matches in which wrestlers were destroyed. It mentions the 2014 Royal Rumble, in which one wrestler "demolished another with a series of brutal steel chair attacks," and the docs refer to "the carnage created by the match's victor."
    The lawsuit gives an interesting inside look into wrestling, saying the goal of the WWE is to elicit "heat," meaning heightened violence with the use of various props, including chairs, ladders and tables. The suit singles out various moves, including the Brain Buster, Bulldog, Cobra Clutch Slam, Facebreaker, Jawbreaker and Powerslam. It singles out the chair shots to the heat, which was banned in 2010.
    The suit claims, "The WWE coerces its wrestlers to work while they are injured by, among other methods, threatening to strip them of their position within the organization if they refuse." It says they are "universally encouraged to 'wrestle through the pain.'"
    And the lawsuit mentions Chris Benoit, who was "routinely hit in the head with a chair." Benoit, who killed his wife and son along with himself, was autopsied after his death. A doctor concluded Benoit's brain was so damaged from CTE, it "resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient."
    The suit asks for an injunction, prohibiting the WWE from subjecting its wrestlers to such brutality, along with damages.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/10/wrestlers-sue-wwe-injuries-brutal-brain-damage-lawsuit/#ixzz3WuDQVaNK

Always remember reading about what a horror show Ryan Sakoda's back was like.

I always hear this thing about Chris Benoit having a brain makeup similar to an Alzheimer's sufferer near the end of his life. I'm sure it's a qualified medical opinion and everything, but it raises the question to me - when you have an 85 year old Alzheimer's sufferer, you have very noticeable aberrations in their behavior, but people close to Chris have always maintained that what he did was a total shock, like they saw very few red flags in the lead up, if any. Hindsight, maybe, but not at the time. If his brain was so screwed up, how was he even functional?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

You'd be amazed. A lot of people can gloss over a lot of the early signs of dementia if they are intelligent, especially memory loss. That aspect doesn't surprise me.

(I've spent a month's placement on psychiatry this year and another on palliative care doing medicine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Rjd2 wrote: »

Surely they will be joined by Heidenreich and Psycho Sid in their lawsuit?!

Palo Alto wrote: »
    You'd be amazed. A lot of people can gloss over a lot of the early signs of dementia if they are intelligent, especially memory loss. That aspect doesn't surprise me.

(I've spent a month's placement on psychiatry this year and another on palliative care doing medicine)

I know, but accounts of the severity of Benoit's affliction seem to vary, from moderate brain trauma to brain that looked like Swiss cheese. Is it common that dementia sufferers lash out violently? I know they can behave quite erratically, but killings are not something are not something I hear reported. Even when you hear people like Chris Jericho talking about Benoit now, he still talks about it like it was all a total surprise. The only two possible warning signs he even considers are that Chris became a lot quieter after Eddie's death and also that it came to light that Chris & Nancy were having problems. Never heard much talk of any kind of mental 'slippage'. It'll always remain a topic of debate just what factors, in what amount, caused the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm no doctor, but I think another factor worth taking into account is that we've learned so much about brain trauma because of that. So while people may have noticed Benoit was a bit 'dinged up' in general, before this happened and the research from it came to light that wouldn't have been seen as a strange thing. So both statements can be true: people may have seen warning signs but, as they didn't recognise them as warning signs, saw nothing strange in his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Its been taken down now and supposedly not for sale anymore

https://twitter.com/TheParkerBrand/status/586402298525421568

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From yesterdays Huffington Post Sports Blog.

The Unscripted Side of Professional Wrestling
    Critics of professional wrestling organizations often claim that because wrestling is "choreographed," it is completely fake. However, the injuries pro wrestlers sustain are in fact very real and very dangerous -- often leading to these same critics' deafening (albeit, temporary) silence.

Even though pro wrestlers are trained to perform moves in a way that reduces injury, their bodies take on a lot of repetitive impact. Over one's career in the ring, there remains a real risk of paralysis, brain damage, or even death. Concussions and spine injuries are two of the most dangerous health concerns professional wrestlers face each time they land on the mat. Let's take a closer look at these two.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-a-gleiber-md/the-unscripted-side-of-pr_b_7040344.html

On the Wrestling Observer Show tonight, Meltzer and Alvarez mentioned how Bryan's not doing to well as far as his health condition goes. He's been working 6-man tags during the entire tour, and hasn't wrestled a singles match since the Smackdown taping two weeks ago.

Was easy to see this coming given the style he has worked since his comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,051 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to be fair, although I'm probably giving WWE too much credit here, it might explain his demotion to the mid-card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The pointless and wreckless bumps he took in a Smackdown match with Harper said a lot as did his admittance to refusing to change his style. Tbh wouldn't blame WWE for not pushing him that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

DB needs to develop a brain if that's true. I'm sure WWE wouldn't be pushing a style on any talent so he needs to cop on. He doesn't have to kill himself to get the crowd to go crazy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah I don't think Bryan is going to change. Especially now when WWE is getting a new wave a great wrestling talent. I mean they debuted Neville, and will most likely debut Finn Balor, Kevin Owens and Hideo Itami. I can see Bryan going all out in his matches when those guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement