Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I bought another classic boat

• 12-10-2013 4:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭

:D Not the sweetest looking classic boat I have ever seen :eek: but I think it has a bit of character :) She is a microplas microboat and was made in the 50's & 60's going by the serial no I'd say she is an early one but I don't know how many were made, I only know of two others in existence and they are in the UK.

20131012_171443_zps368f846f.jpg

20131012_171448_zps8ad5063c.jpg

20131012_171523_zps82e000ce.jpg

20131012_171546_zps9ed0b5d6.jpg

20131012_171609_zpsf31cfcd8.jpg

20131012_171512_zps7f9e8cc4.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a little clip of one here http://www.britishpathe.com/video/take-to-the-boats-aka-national-boat-show at the 1962 boat show.

file.php?id=1822&t=1

And if it's good enough for Petula Clark it's good enough for me :D

microbat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

seen this on adverts are u going to put a steering wheel in and whats the max size outboard it would take

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

davlacey wrote: »
    seen this on adverts are u going to put a steering wheel in and whats the max size outboard it would take

I'd say it will take up to 10hp. I have the red and white steering wheel that I was thinking about using on it, not sure yet :confused: I also have this 3.9 Merc that will push it along and I spotted an engine on DD that is the same as the one in the black & white photo so I sent him an email.

003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

id love this a speed boat that you could throw in the boot. make a mold and id buy one of your mini botos for me the little one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

That's a funny little yoke! Be some craic :)

• Advertisement

davlacey wrote: »
    id love this a speed boat that you could throw in the boot. make a mold and id buy one of your mini botos for me the little one :D

You can buy this one when it's done :) If I don't use it as a tender for the crackerbox:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Hey Fergal, unless I'm mistaken, Microplas was what Microplus was originally called. And speaking of which, now that the summer season is winding down for me, I can get back into the resto of my Microplus. That and a million other things to catch up on, but hey, it's better than daytime TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

That's one of the funniest looking boats I've ever seen Fergal, best of luck with her, she couldn't have gone to a better home!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

and just when the wife thought she'd get her yard back, along comes Fergal once again....:D

Looks like a novel little craft though.. enjoy.

I spotted this on ebay and just had to have it:) it's from 1958 Motor sport Mag, if anyone has any more info on them or comes across any info on them I'd love to see it, I have also singed up to the Microplus forum to see if they can help.

Scan83_zpsb41a6072.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It looks like a big shoe :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's very quirky looking good luck doing it up.

Any idea what colour you will paint it?

Stheno wrote: »
    It's very quirky looking good luck doing it up.

Any idea what colour you will paint it?

:D:D:D KB82C_Austin_Healey_3000_MKIII_for_sale_prpfile.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fergal.b wrote: »
    :D:D:D KB82C_Austin_Healey_3000_MKIII_for_sale_prpfile.jpg

Gorgeous :)

As soon as I saw the pics up above, I thought it would look great in red :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Id say that will be alot of fun in a nice lumpy sea

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

If you get a flat sea I'd say it'll clatter along at a good pace. As neris says, might be a different story in worse conditions :D

Also, that colour scheme would be beautiful, go for it, can't wait to see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I want one

Conchir wrote: »
    If you get a flat sea I'd say it'll clatter along at a good pace. As neris says, might be a different story in worse conditions :D

Also, that colour scheme would be beautiful, go for it, can't wait to see :D

Having spent plenty of time the past few weeks in lumpy seas, I can't imagine being out in something like that in those conditions!

Having spent plenty of time the past few weeks in lumpy seas, I can't imagine being out in something like that in those conditions!

Be grand, they said...

Microplas started out building some of the first fiberglass kit cars before they changed to microplus boats so I thought a two tone paint scheme of the time would suit it.

micronPlastics.jpg

8635576592_017be5a112.jpg

It may have been Elvis with his Mistral that put the idea of building boats into their heads.:D

ElvisSpinout_06_1000-700x314.jpg

ElvisSpinout_05_1000-700x361.jpg

• Advertisement

Are you keeping or selling it once done?

Be grand, they said...

Didn't a squib capsize in Howth a couple of weeks ago? /shudder

Didn't a squib capsize in Howth a couple of weeks ago? /shudder

Wasn't me :D

I didn't hear what happened - we broke gear and went in early and I haven't been back down since due to life getting very very busy... But I did hear that one crew were in the water watching their wayward squib sail merrily off on them...

Seriously big swell that day, breaking waves and all. Great fun running with them!

[/tangent]

Wasn't me :D

I didn't hear what happened - we broke gear and went in early and I haven't been back down since due to life getting very very busy... But I did hear that one crew were in the water watching their wayward squib sail merrily off on them...

Seriously big swell that day, breaking waves and all. Great fun running with them!

[/tangent]

NO idea either, just read that they capsized :) and were rescued by a puppeter I can just imagine bobbing about watching the boat on it's merry way :D

It was a bit rough today as well.

Sorry for going OT fergal :)

Are you keeping or selling it once done?

I'm not too sure, I can fit it in the car "MPV" next to the wheelchair or I can also put it on the roof rack with a bit of help " it's like one of those storage boxes :D" so this makes it very versatile for me if I ever want to stop off at a canal or river and go for a little spin:) As davlacey suggested I might take a mold of it if I thought they would pay a few quid to make, in the 50's they cost about 3 weeks wages so I guess the price will depend on who I ask how much they earn as I'm not going to go on mine :D

I'm not too sure, I can fit it in the car "MPV" next to the wheelchair or I can also put it on the roof rack with a bit of help " it's like one of those storage boxes :D" so this makes it very versatile for me if I ever want to stop off at a canal or river and go for a little spin:) As davlacey suggested I might take a mold of it if I thought they would pay a few quid to make, in the 50's they cost about 3 weeks wages so I guess the price will depend on who I ask how much they earn as I'm not going to go on mine :D

All up in the air for me at the moment work wise but providing it comes back down to earth I'd be interested in a mould. They're VERY cute.

On a related note, I wonder if accessible boating will see a resurgence now that so many people are broke...?

I'm thinking about doing up one of these instead of the Merc as I think it will suit the "boat" a bit better. I did put an offer on a non runner white one on adverts but I don't think he was toooo impressed :D I might up it a bit if I can't find another:) If any of you have one or one of the white ones up to 10hp in the back of the shed give me a shout. I don't want to spend too much on it as I know how much they cost to restore and you can never get your money back on them.:confused:

img00039_zps1a030a72.jpg

Looks like it was red to start with.

20131015_144450_zps0f9d0e9f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looks like it was red to start with.

20131015_144450_zps0f9d0e9f.jpg

Did somebody shoot it to put it out of its misery? (That was a Seagull on the stern?)

• Advertisement

Did somebody shoot it to put it out of its misery? (That was a Seagull on the stern?)

Don't be so mean to her :eek: she has not been put out of her misery she has been given the breath of life :D I just removed the bow handle so she can show her true colours :P

The photo with petula looks like a seagull engine alright but I think the one from the boat show is a jet engine made by Warren.

Advertisement