Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

Did I not open this thread called wwe magazine. Its meant for that mag only. If a mod feel the need of changing the title please do seeing as its gone way off topic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Got FSM in the mail this morning despite thinking I had got my 12 from my subscription :S

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

jeffk wrote: »
    I think it would be a good idea (if you’re allowed) to set up a FSM thread and update it as the new issues become available!
    I'll e-mail a mod. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Split this off from the other magazine thread :)

Sure bro. Split the FSM from this thread. Depending on how off-topic or busy that thread becomes will determine if it's worth just having everything in the one thread!

• Advertisement

Oh wow, just saw Brian's message (missed in the other topic so good thing the topic was split :P).

Listen, I appreciate the offer of an email and I respect the hell out of the fact you signed up to address the issue, but I don't think there's anything that can be said to make me renew the subscription. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the magazine; as soon as it arrives, I read it cover to cover. But I've lost faith in the subscription service since there's been times where the magazine hasn't arrived for two weeks after I've seen it in shops, and once it was three weeks. Once I receieved two different issues in a week of each other, and once I recieved the same issue twice in two weeks.

The idea of setting up the subscription was I'd get it quicker than having to wait and go to the shops, especially after I left Uni and didn't have easy access to an Easons which sold it, but that's just not the case anymore. I really do appreciate the offer to email. I love the mag, have had letters published, and I even inquired about writing for the mag once (back in my uni days; sadly I didn't have the time to follow up back then). I just think it's far easier now to simply go in and buy it on the day it comes out. I'll still be buying every issue, but I'll be doing it in the shops.

It's the nature of the industry; you can't afford to let a magazine arrive two weeks late, since by then it's nearly out of date :S

EDIT: Oh wow, wait. I just realise. You're the editor? <3

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Split this off from the other magazine thread :)
    Thanks!

kn9sx.jpg

Issue 70 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In this month's issue, FSM has extensive features on Daniel Bryan's year in WWE since his return at SummerSlam 2010; How Alex Riley has made the most of his WWE chances; How TNA can be reinvigorated by the X-Division; FSM examines Austin Aries' deserved spot in mainstream wrestling; Why pro wrestlers must do more to protect their characters; Is Pro Wrestling NOAH relying too much on Kenta Kobashi?; FSM delves into the life of the legendary Jim Londos; and where does one draw the line on performance-enhancement in sports?

All of this, plus our regular news, reviews, TV/PPV reports, and columns - a full 84-pages at the comparatively low price of £3.50.

FSM is available on a subscription basis at http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp - this is by far the cheapest way to purchase the magazine, and you will receive it before it hits the retail shelves. If you prefer to pick up a copy on your travels, FSM can be found in all good newsagents, but should you be unable to track down a copy, please ask your newsagent to reserve future editions for you.

Enjoy the issue!

rovert wrote: »
    Not only that most of it is recycled from the Wrestling Observer so for me it became redundant years ago. Also it is intensely snide and negative.

God, I agree here. One thing that really bugged me about PS was it's snide comments about Sheamus when he debuted; while FSM was supporting him somewhat, happy to see him getting his shot, PS kept pointing out his flaws and saying he didn't deserve his spot :confused: It got me wondering if there was some personal animosity between the people at PS and Sheamus...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

God, I agree here. One thing that really bugged me about PS was it's snide comments about Sheamus when he debuted; while FSM was supporting him somewhat, happy to see him getting his shot, PS kept pointing out his flaws and saying he didn't deserve his spot :confused: It got me wondering if there was some personal animosity between the people at PS and Sheamus...

Ask Chris Jericho, Mick Foley and Ric Flair :P

Oh wow, just saw Brian's message (missed in the other topic so good thing the topic was split :P).

Listen, I appreciate the offer of an email and I respect the hell out of the fact you signed up to address the issue, but I don't think there's anything that can be said to make me renew the subscription. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the magazine; as soon as it arrives, I read it cover to cover. But I've lost faith in the subscription service since there's been times where the magazine hasn't arrived for two weeks after I've seen it in shops, and once it was three weeks. Once I receieved two different issues in a week of each other, and once I recieved the same issue twice in two weeks.

The idea of setting up the subscription was I'd get it quicker than having to wait and go to the shops, especially after I left Uni and didn't have easy access to an Easons which sold it, but that's just not the case anymore. I really do appreciate the offer to email. I love the mag, have had letters published, and I even inquired about writing for the mag once (back in my uni days; sadly I didn't have the time to follow up back then). I just think it's far easier now to simply go in and buy it on the day it comes out. I'll still be buying every issue, but I'll be doing it in the shops.

It's the nature of the industry; you can't afford to let a magazine arrive two weeks late, since by then it's nearly out of date :S

EDIT: Oh wow, wait. I just realise. You're the editor? <3
    Yes, I took over as editor as of Issue 61. There have substantial changes since then, too.

The offer remains open to look into why it is taking so long to get the magazine to you. Send me an e-mail anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is there any MMA coverage? I'll give it a chance again but it'll be hard to bump FourFourTwo off my one magazine for the month budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I love the MMA aspect of it but genuinely stopped buying it because of the numerous misspellings and sometimes bad grammar. I couldn't fathom how these were allowed to slip through the net to the final edition of what visually looks like a high end mag. Some people might disagree with me here but it's just not acceptable these days to shell out for second rate material. I'm presuming this has changed since you took over Brian?

A less serious complaint was the writing of James Denton. It's a kick in the teeth to MMA fans to have to put up with phrases like "faces", "monster heel", "promos" and "getting over" in an MMA context. It's simply not applicable. I understand it because I know wrestling but it alienates anyone who happened to purchase the magazine for its MMA content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

J-Fit wrote: »
    I love the MMA aspect of it but genuinely stopped buying it because of the numerous misspellings and sometimes bad grammar. I couldn't fathom how these were allowed to slip through the net to the final edition of what visually looks like a high end mag. Some people might disagree with me here but it's just not acceptable these days to shell out for second rate material. I'm presuming this has changed since you took over Brian?

A less serious complaint was the writing of James Denton. It's a kick in the teeth to MMA fans to have to put up with phrases like "faces", "monster heel", "promos" and "getting over" in an MMA context. It's simply not applicable. I understand it because I know wrestling but it alienates anyone who happened to purchase the magazine for its MMA content.

Both have changed. I haven't noticed any howlers spelling or grammar wise. James unfortunately was too influenced by Bryan Alverez in his writing.

December 2010 should be treated as day zero for the magazine. Trust me it is a massive upgrade from old editorship improving issue to issue too.

Is there any MMA coverage? I'll give it a chance again but it'll be hard to bump FourFourTwo off my one magazine for the month budget.
    We usually have one 3,000-word MMA feature per issue, plus coverage of all of the UFC and main Strikeforce shows. If space permits, we also cover Dream.

In the brand new issue (Daniel Bryan cover) we have what I feel is an excellent article on testosterone replacement therapy, and where the line should be drawn on "medicinal" performance-enhancing. I realise that you would not expect me to say anything less, but I think that it's one of the articles that will show just what you can expect from FSM these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Brian I'd like to join my fellow posters in welcoming you here and hope you join in on other posts outside the magazine one as you'll find some interesting debates.

I've experienced similar issues with delivery in the past which is why I chose not to renew subscription but still pick up FSM monthly as I think it's the best pro wrestling mag out there.As you've promised to check into this I'll look into renewing subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sure bro. Split the FSM from this thread. Depending on how off-topic or busy that thread becomes will determine if it's worth just having everything in the one thread!

Why thank you jay. It really went off topic. Don'y know how a mod didn't see it. But all is fiexed now

jmolloy wrote: »
    Brian I'd like to join my fellow posters in welcoming you here and hope you join in on other posts outside the magazine one as you'll find some interesting debates.

I've experienced similar issues with delivery in the past which is why I chose not to renew subscription but still pick up FSM monthly as I think it's the best pro wrestling mag out there.As you've promised to check into this I'll look into renewing subscription
    Thank you. I'll do my best to post in the other threads, as time permits. :)

Thanks also for the kind words about FSM's content. If you can send me an e-mail to brian (at) fightingspiritmagazine(dot co dot uk) about your subscription issues, it gives me another lead to investigate the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I too stopped buy FSM after my farcical subscription.

Firstly, it took 3 months from paying to receive the first mag. And then i received 3 previous months (say I signed up in January, didn't get the first mag until April, then received Jan/Feb/March) mags, and was told that my sub kicked in in January, but took this long to process as I was "overseas".

From then on, every single mag was on the shelf for at least 10 days before my receiving it. Once again, this was blamed on my being "overseas" and "postage to Ireland usually takes 7-10 days". Nonsense, postage to China perhaps.

Sure enough my sub expired in December.

gimmick wrote: »
    I too stopped buy FSM after my farcical subscription.

Firstly, it took 3 months from paying to receive the first mag. And then i received 3 previous months (say I signed up in January, didn't get the first mag until April, then received Jan/Feb/March) mags, and was told that my sub kicked in in January, but took this long to process as I was "overseas".

From then on, every single mag was on the shelf for at least 10 days before my receiving it. Once again, this was blamed on my being "overseas" and "postage to Ireland usually takes 7-10 days". Nonsense, postage to China perhaps.

Sure enough my sub expired in December.
    Likewise, please send me an e-mail to brian (at) fightingspiritmagazine(dot co dot uk) documenting this, so I can bring it up at the next management meeting. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ill go one better and send you some of the correspondence that I can find.

• Advertisement

Received your e-mail. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭esprimo

Thank you. I'll do my best to post in the other threads, as time permits. :)

Thanks also for the kind words about FSM's content. If you can send me an e-mail to brian (at) fightingspiritmagazine(dot co dot uk) about your subscription issues, it gives me another lead to investigate the problem.

Hey Brian. Firstly love the magazine, keep up the good work. Just wondering whats prompted you to join the boards dot ie pro wrestling section, where did you hear of it? Is it part of a new initiative to connect with the Irish readership,haha :)

esprimo wrote: »
    Hey Brian. Firstly love the magazine, keep up the good work. Just wondering whats prompted you to join the boards dot ie pro wrestling section, where did you hear of it? Is it part of a new initiative to connect with the Irish readership,haha :)
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

I'm from Belfast, and have been aware of boards.ie for some time. I was doing some Googling yesterday and noted that one person had a problem with their subscription, so I signed up in order to try and sort it out.

No point in having a good magazine if there are people who aren't receiving it as intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Might pick up Fighting Spirit the next time I'm in Easons,I'm just finished reading the latest issue of Power Slam and I don't think I'm going to be buying it anymore,the sheer negativity on almost every page is ridiculous,if Fin Martin is so disenchanted with the wrestling business then why doesn't he just sell PS to somebody who actually enjoys it!

Might pick up Fighting Spirit the next time I'm in Easons,I'm just finished reading the latest issue of Power Slam and I don't think I'm going to be buying it anymore,the sheer negativity on almost every page is ridiculous,if Fin Martin is so disenchanted with the wrestling business then why doesn't he just sell PS to somebody who actually enjoys it!
    I think you'll find FSM a really nice change of pace, and a comprehensive read, especially at the comparative price-point. :)

Please post your thoughts when you get the chance.

I share this sentiment. My bro picked up PS for me this evening and I've read a few articles. Due to the cold, clinical description of Macho's life (no love or reverence) and snide PoV (the penultimate paragraph of the MITB recap is giving out about the succeeding 8 days; souring the piece) and needless giving out ('how come only oldies are getting the DVD treatment and not younger talent' - i bet they were less than welcoming of John Morrison's DVD when it came out!) I'll definitely have to try out FSM again. It might be cathartic for Fin Martin and his many aliases to be the embittered stock internet smark, constantly playing down the positives in wrestling, but I read wrestling magazines to be entertained and learn a little too, and it's left me dissatisfied for a while now.

I realise this is slanted at PS's faults but this growing hypercritical mindset from the mag is really putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

:( I still like Power Slam they were kinda right about Stone Cold getting a 150th dvd set yet the likes of Punk hasn't got one (while we're on the subject would love to see Vader get one with a HOF Spot too). I haven't read much of the magazine yet.

Just wanted to give everyone a little update and say that having brought these concerns to Uncooked Media management, I've set up a meeting to work through whatever distribution problems we've had to Ireland. I'll report back when I've got any new information.

In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback on Issue 70 (Daniel Bryan cover), I'd love to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

I quite enjoyed the last issue with the exception of the steroids article .i've seen that '14/51 of wrestlers' pedalled before and always take it with a pinch of salt. Also it raised doubts over Pacquio but that was more than a bloodtesting issue.And as for the kaka thing comparing corrective surgery to performance enhancing is just ludicrous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

jmolloy wrote: »
    And as for the kaka thing comparing corrective surgery to performance enhancing is just ludicrous

What did it say about Kaka ?

Advertisement