Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I know you have a bit of inferiority complex but there's no need to call me Lord. It makes me feel a wee bit uncomfortable, that sort of hero worship.

Obviously it is based on taste in music. All of this argument is based on musical taste. I never said you shouldn't like Oasis did I? If that's what floats your boat that's great. What galls me is the greatest band in the world ever schtick that a lot of Oasis fans use.

You see I like a song to have the overall package. Good music and good lyrics and I'm in heaven.

BTW, River cool is a play on Liverpool so I think that's a nice lyrical twist. Can't see anything wrong about setting sail to the Spanish mainland and the Radiohead song is about divorce, that's what the cut the kids in half is a reference to.
    Ha, that must be it yeah!

I understand what "Mersey Paradise" is about. The lyrics just don't overly speak to me, I've never been to Liverpool, I never said there was anything wrong with sailing to Spain but I've never been and I've never been divorced (although I've read that that particular lyric was some sort of lame biblical reference). Give me examples that have the "overall package", that really speak to you on a lyrical level as well as being musically fantastic.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yep they would be pop. Pop music is what's on top of the pops, what's in the charts on the radio, popular music. Now there are some crossovers but artists that consistently chart well in the singles in my eyes are pop acts. I'd file KOL as pop too for that reason.

I wasn't talking about the pop in britpop, i was merely saying britpop was a scene that oasis were part of.

I'm interested to know what bands you consider to be 'crossover' bands? Once a rock band becomes popular, do they stay pop and never go back to becoming rock? What if a pop band becomes unpopular again, can they be considered rock?

Scenes are also a tricky subject. I don't think Oasis signed up into Britpop. I think NME and MOJO needed to sell more copies and they perpetuated this battle of Britpop malarky. Oasis were bigger than Britpop (awaits "Oasis fans are ignorant d*ckh**ds" type slatings!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Ha, that must be it yeah!

I understand what "Mersey Paradise" is about. The lyrics just don't overly speak to me, I've never been to Liverpool, I never said there was anything wrong with sailing to Spain but I've never been and I've never been divorced (although I've read that that particular lyric was some sort of lame biblical reference). Give me examples that have the "overall package", that really speak to you on a lyrical level as well as being musically fantastic.

LCD Soundsystem
    The Shins (cryptic but highly evocative)
    Ealy to Mid Period REM
    Dust by the Screaming Trees
    Wilco
    The Fall
    And plenty of others that its too late to think about now...

Haha, oh dear Lord! Don't attempt to lump intelligent and interesting together and brush them aside as though they have the same meaning! Come on, I know it's an internet forum, but let's at least try to have some sort of coherence about our discussion! To describe music as intelligent is pretentious, there are no two ways about it. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad light. I'd be the first to admit that I don't give many groups (ie people who dress in suits, who don't write their own music and generally attract screaming 8 year old girls into their fanbase) much of a chance because I feel music written by bands is of a far better quality or that it is likely to be far more important to me.

That isn't really listening "to their back catalogue" now is it. Granted, it's more of a chance than some might give them but it doesn't really give you a right to claim that you've listened to their back catalogue.

I can't really break it down further than this, "it's pretty stupid to buy music if you don't like the music you have heard from the band." It's the main reason why Greenday and My Chemical Romance don't appear in my CD collection.

Let's just agree that I like Oasis and you don't like them and call it a night there.

I think it is time to call it a day because you are getting into the most inane debate about semantics and it really isn't worth the bother. Tbh, I repeated myself and tried to clarify myself enough times to know you're not really taking in anything I've written so I'll leave you to it.

I think it is time to call it a day because you are getting into the most inane debate about semantics and it really isn't worth the bother. Tbh, I repeated myself and tried to clarify myself enough times to know you're not really taking in anything I've written so I'll leave you to it.

Not taking it in?! I'm paying attention to what you're saying but your argument changes with every post. Goodluck to you

• Advertisement

LCD Soundsystem
    The Shins (cryptic but highly evocative)
    Ealy to Mid Period REM
    Dust by the Screaming Trees
    Wilco
    The Fall
    And plenty of others that its too late to think about now...

Ah you're a Wilco/LCD Soundsystem fan. It suddenly all makes sense.

Ah you're a Wilco/LCD Soundsystem fan. It suddenly all makes sense.

What, because they're good?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm interested to know what bands you consider to be 'crossover' bands? Once a rock band becomes popular, do they stay pop and never go back to becoming rock? What if a pop band becomes unpopular again, can they be considered rock?

Scenes are also a tricky subject. I don't think Oasis signed up into Britpop. I think NME and MOJO needed to sell more copies and they perpetuated this battle of Britpop malarky. Oasis were bigger than Britpop (awaits "Oasis fans are ignorant d*ckh**ds" type slatings!)

What i meant by crossovers is that some non pop bands will have a great pop tune or two and then go back to what they normally do. Outkast springs to mind Hey Ya massive pop hit, not there normal output.

KOL had they continued with the type of music on their first two albums wouldn't have the success they have now so their change of output means they are ones of the biggest pop acts out there.

As for britpop, course it was a scene, just like punk, and mods Vs rockers just not really as cool as them! But i do think it was important for the 90's.

What, because they're good?

I just know Wilco and LCD Soundsystem fans (who coincidently dislike Oasis profusely!)

I just know Wilco and LCD Soundsystem fans (who coincidently dislike Oasis profusely!)

Yes, that's it. We're all part of a tribe. We hold secret anti-Oasis meetings and burn effigys of the Gallagher brothers at midnight under the full moon. Darn it, you caught me out!

• Advertisement

What i meant by crossovers is that some non pop bands will have a great pop tune or two and then go back to what they normally do. Outkast springs to mind Hey Ya massive pop hit, not there normal output.

KOL had they continued with the type of music on their first two albums wouldn't have the success they have now so their change of output means they are ones of the biggest pop acts out there.

As for britpop, course it was a scene, just like punk, and mods Vs rockers just not really as cool as them! But i do think it was important for the 90's.

But when a band is recording a song, they can't guarantee it is going to be pop(ular). If it was that easy, everyone would do it. I also don't think that you can say all Oasis songs sound the same so it's unfair to airbrush them all as pop songs.

Oasis came onto the music scene and were popular. They were never unpopular as such. I would certainly consider them a rock band (or a poprock band).

I never said britpop wasn't a scene! I simply said that Oasis never came and started claiming to be starting a britpop movement and long after Britpop died, they were releasing albums and touring the world. The same could not be said of punk bands like the Sex Pistols! ;)

Yes, that's it. We're all part of a tribe. We hold secret anti-Oasis meetings and burn effigys of the Gallagher brothers at midnight under the full moon. Darn it, you caught me out!

I knew it! Bound to happen when Oasis "r da bst fkn bnd in da wrld tho" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Oasis are ****ing rock n roll man. Pop to me means 5 lads in vests singing about virgins. Oasis biggest band of the last 20 years can we all agree with this and move on I'm talking to you android man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They had their moments, namely when Noel sang and didn't let any of the others write songs.

I find it hard to stomach looking at Liam Gallagher. He can't get through a song live without strutting around like an ape, changing the original lyrics to swear words, hawking up a big phlegmy spit and challenging someone in the audience to a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm a fan of LCD Soundsystem and Oasis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I agree with Oasis_Dublin, and like I previously stated Oasis did not sign up for Britpop. They were declared Britpop by NME etc. The whole Britpop "scene" was in London. Oasis are from Manchester.

I can see your point about pop(ular) music genres though. Mybe you're being a bit too PC? I mean it's fair to say all of us talking here are music fans and enjoy good tunes. With that in mind I think its fair to say that our view of pop is Westlife, Robbie Williams etc and Oasis and KOL are rockbands even though their music is widely popular.
    They had their moments, namely when Noel sang and didn't let any of the others write songs.

I find it hard to stomach looking at Liam Gallagher. He can't get through a song live without strutting around like an ape, changing the original lyrics to swear words, hawking up a big phlegmy spit and challenging someone in the audience to a fight.

Liam wrote Songbird and I'm Outta Time, I'd consider them quality tunes?

Don't knock his style man. He is well known for his singing posture. Yeah challenging, he'd never go through with it. Liam Gallagher ACTS the hardman but realistically he is a softee.

Dudess wrote: »
    Or when people demand that those who don't like them write a song/form a successful band. Oasis fans in particular really seem to propagate that kind of tripe, whatever it is about that band.

Nobody here on the Oasis side of the debate told people to F off and write a better tune / or start a better band, that is so of point man.....

.... but no ones stopping you writing a tune and posting her up and we can compare it with Oasis. ;)

Haha. This is plainly not true... but sure what would I know? I've only seen them live 3 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Oasis are dull and so are their biggest fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think the last time he had a pop at an audience member was 2 years ago in london and i dont blame him if someone threw a coin at me id be pissed off. hes a rock star best frontman ever he can do what he ****ing wants in my eyes

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    hes a rock star best frontman ever he can do what he ****ing wants in my eyes

YES! +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

ball ox wrote: »
    I don't think anyone on here has said they hate Oasis. I certainly don't hate them. It's their fans and the "best band in the world mentality" that a lot of them seem to push that is the problem. Look at the thread title for Christs sake....
    In fairness, anyone who claims something as subjective as a type of music to be "the best in the world" is an idiot.
    listen I dont disagree with you, but we all live in Ireland and our media have constantly told us for years that U2 are the biggest and best band in the world. The point being that us Oasis fans have the opinion that Oasis are better than U2 are obviously going to defend them. Being the best in music is about opinion, album/single sales are unreliable but I think Oasis's influence over guitar music in undeniable and thats whats important.

Live4Ever wrote: »
    I agree with Oasis_Dublin, and like I previously stated Oasis did not sign up for Britpop. They were declared Britpop by NME etc. The whole Britpop "scene" was in London. Oasis are from Manchester.

I can see your point about pop(ular) music genres though. Mybe you're being a bit too PC? I mean it's fair to say all of us talking here are music fans and enjoy good tunes. With that in mind I think its fair to say that our view of pop is Westlife, Robbie Williams etc and Oasis and KOL are rockbands even though their music is widely popular.

See i can't agree with Oasis being a rock band, rock for me is ACDC, Maiden, Hell even Smashing Pumpkins...

Pop is anything that's in the charts. Pop is the easiest genre to define out there as it's what is generally liked by the masses.

I generally dislike music genres at the best of times but what can ya do!

I have a pet hate for people that don't view pop as a proper genre and view it as something to be ridiculed. (not aimed at you). I think writing a good pop song is not an easy task and while i wouldn't listen to any of the acts you've named you can't deny that they are very good at it.

I'm gonna leave it at that now, as i think it's just about to start going around in circles! You like it, enjoy it!

See i can't agree with Oasis being a rock band, rock for me is ACDC, Maiden, Hell even Smashing Pumpkins...

Pop is anything that's in the charts. Pop is the easiest genre to define out there as it's what is generally liked by the masses.

I have a pet hate for people that don't view pop as a proper genre and view it as something to be ridiculed. (not aimed at you). I think writing a good pop song is not an easy task and while i wouldn't listen to any of the acts you've named you can't deny that they are very good at it.

I'm gonna leave it at that now, as i think it's just about to start going around in circles! You like it, enjoy it!

That's cool lordgoat, yeah ACDC etc are proper rock alright.. :D

I agree with almost everything you've said there mate.

I think what we both mean is "Oasis, pop music by definition only."

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Certainly the best band who produce quality B sides. Ive listened to quite a few bands b sides and nothing compares to Oasis in that regard. My favourite band from the last 20 years and I wait in excitement for Noel Gallaghers solo album next year. I was told in London recently that he has been holding back songs since 2000 for his own solo album. Cant fecking wait!

ACDC have sold over 100 million albums, twice as much as Oasis! They are the pop to Oasis' rock by your logic ;)

ACDC have sold over 100 million albums, twice as much as Oasis! They are the pop to Oasis' rock by your logic ;)

No. Either you don't understand the concept or you are ignoring it.

How many number one singles have they had from their albums when they were released first? I can think of 2 (i think).

JS Bach has sold a fair few records as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

So Back in Black, one of the biggest selling albums of all time is a pop album;)

Certainly the best band who produce quality B sides. Ive listened to quite a few bands b sides and nothing compares to Oasis in that regard. My favourite band from the last 20 years and I wait in excitement for Noel Gallaghers solo album next year. I was told in London recently that he has been holding back songs since 2000 for his own solo album. Cant fecking wait!

Hit the nail on the head their mate - sure The Masterplan is B-Side compliation album. :eek:

Boneheads Bank Holiday - Classic Oasis B-Side :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think once you've heard the first two albums (which I loved) you've heard it all. Oasis kinda summed up the spirit of those times and it was about a certain attitude and sound but not something that lends itself to innovation and change.

Advertisement