Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rowing Machines

• 17-09-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone recommend a rowing machine that isn't a Concept 2? I've been looking for a machine for use at home and even the second hand ones on eBay are expensive (and only available in the UK). Ideally if anyone is selling a concept 2 for 450 quid that would be great, but failing that I see you can get alternative makes in Argos for much less. The York Platinum R700 Mag/Air Rower is less that 400 quid...thing is I've trained on a COncept 2 adn they are really good.Then I went to the public gym in the leisure centre in Ballymun adn despite the fact that this place is set up better than any gym I've ever been in, the rowing machines there aren't Concpet2s, but are water rwoers and to be frank, are crap. I don't want to spen 400 qui on an inferior machine.

So my question is, is thereanything that cones close to replicating a Concept 2 or are they that expensive for a reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

having used a rowperfect i can highly recommend it - but its more expensive than a concept2 again i think. its amazing though.

besides that - get a second hand concept2? there are plenty of over enthusiastic people who wanted to exercise at home and bought one never to use it again and are selling them on.

join a cheap gym??

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 osheam4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

have you tried the buyandsell section of the iaru, from time to time you see clubs selling second concept2, you will not get anything anywhere close to a concept2 for cheap, concept2 have the market cornered on the patents for machines. the problem is that rowing isnt a big sport like soccer or running so companies like nike/adias etc arent going to research on a sport that wont make them money, but concept2 are rowing only so thats why they are so good.
    iaru buyandsell section: http://iaru.ie/main.php?page_type=topic&id=172&view_type=live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Concept 2 make the best ergometers because they are targetted at rowers. The row perfect is not a bad alternative but I'd still look at getting a second hand Concept 2. Getting one from a club means it was probably maintained well but used an awful lot so it may look older than it is, its usually still good for the amount of time you are going to spend on it though.

One from a health club is a no no... those ergos are not used properly as most gym instructors don't advocate proper technique. The chain gets bashed, buttons bashed generally poorly maintained.

The best bet is getting one off ebay from someone who bought it, never used it etc..

Ideally, get one from an ex rower who had it in his/her house.

Oh and the older models are just as good for what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

The conecpt 2's are the most common, and you will find them in most Gyms, but as otehrs ahve said I know guys that used to row that still ahve their machines lying around, but if your really concerned about it, the magnetic ones are generally useless, you need an air resistance one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i totally agree, mrdrifter, the magnetic ones, even at the highest resistance on a mag, is like a mid setting on an air.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

honestly i think you should pay the extra for the concept 2! and yes they are expencive for a reason as they are the best.! every rowing club in ireland has them and i imagine all over the world too! ( they can also be linked the computers and raced over the net with otheres etc etc... very handy for motavation). its well worth it! the others just dont cut it. even a second hand one.. and as MCOS said it could look old bu its cos there used so much in rowin clubs!! personally i prefer the older concepts (the gray and black ones) rather than the new blue ones!

but are you sure u want a erg? i say this cos its very difficult to get motavated on them unless u are in fact a rower!! another thing is they may not help tou loose weight bu rather tone ur body! hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

honestly i think you should pay the extra for the concept 2! and yes they are expencive for a reason as they are the best.! every rowing club in ireland has them and i imagine all over the world too! ( they can also be linked the computers and raced over the net with otheres etc etc... very handy for motavation). its well worth it! the others just dont cut it. even a second hand one.. and as MCOS said it could look old bu its cos there used so much in rowin clubs!! personally i prefer the older concepts (the gray and black ones) rather than the new blue ones!

but are you sure u want a erg? i say this cos its very difficult to get motavated on them unless u are in fact a rower!! another thing is they may not help tou loose weight bu rather tone ur body! hope this helps!!

I beg to differ i lost over a stone on the ero (I was a bit bigger after my final year in college) :D but what you say is true they are very good at toning your body.

I always find that the resistance is a lot tougher on the new blue concept2 rowers than then older black ones e.g. 4 on the new = 6-7 on black.

Advertisement