Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gallery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hey, these were taken on 31st January on a very low low tide. Water was very clear alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

Great shots,especially the prawn, where in waterford,
    Bang

ronanmac wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, when were they taken? Was diving at Dóilín coral beach just before Christmas and viz was cat. Looking crystal clear there, but that might be a tribute to your photography rather than viz?!

Dived here again yesterday morning and the vis was excellent, 15-20m maybe..

foto joe wrote: »
    Dived here again yesterday morning and the vis was excellent, 15-20m maybe..

Hi foto joe , where is "here"

Regards
    bang

Coral beach at Carraroe, Co. Galway...

EDIT: I was giving a follow up reply to ronanmac's question... I think you were asking about hellfireie's photos...

• Advertisement

Coral beach at Carraroe, Co. Galway...

EDIT: I was giving a follow up reply to ronanmac's question... I think you were asking about hellfireie's photos...

your right , thanks for that , got mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

a few pics i took last week on hols...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Niall M wrote: »
    a few pics i took last week on hols...

Nice 'pus, Niall. Where were you?

Can I suggest that you get someone to show you how to deal with the white balance on your camera? It might help you deal with the overall green/blue tinge in your shots.

Or, if you don't have a buddy who can show you, you could try the PADI Underwater Digital Photography Specialty, which helps. I did it last year. Next time I'm on my desktop rather than the laptop (not very often) I'll post a couple of before/after shots as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

Nice 'pus, Niall. Where were you?

Can I suggest that you get someone to show you how to deal with the white balance on your camera? It might help you deal with the overall green/blue tinge in your shots.

Or, if you don't have a buddy who can show you, you could try the PADI Underwater Digital Photography Specialty, which helps. I did it last year. Next time I'm on my desktop rather than the laptop (not very often) I'll post a couple of before/after shots as an example.

Cool, i was in lanzarote, did the advanced open water course. thanks for that. it was my first time ever using an underwater camera so i was like a child with it! i have a cool album for a first time! i will post up a few more pics later on.

Yesterday in Carraroe....

4514221927_5bfa6913f3.jpg

4514856468_2ba6c6f942.jpg

4514228623_4f8db83401.jpg

4514874086_8984da489c.jpg

4514231075_785717d6cd.jpg

4514855534_d58ec8e8ca.jpg

Joe

• Advertisement

Great macro shots Joe piggyback hermits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

A few from this weekend. Not up to the standard of some of the others here but here ye go. All were taken freediving. I think the fishy is a cole fish but could be wrong. Took a while to get a shot of him. Crackin vis and great weekends diving now all we need is for the water to warm up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

jeez joe them hermit crabs are stunning. they done with your old canon you were talking about?

the others are great too, the one were someone is in the kelp looks crazy like they're stuck or something:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

A few from the red sea here and me on my first sled dive experiance.http://www.youtube.com/user/fcallagy#p/a/u/0/CwfOFnUqIho

breadbin wrote: »
    jeez joe them hermit crabs are stunning. they done with your old canon you were talking about?

No the hermit crab ones (and after) were taken with the Canon G10, my photos on page 4 were taken with the Canon Powershot A570is I was telling you about.

Firstly here's a video of the Thornback Ray in action, needed video to capture this properly! (http://vimeo.com/11931800)

Now a few photos;
    (Going to embed the large versions this time, hope that's alright!)

4628370301_844c7d1feb_b.jpg

4628970204_3eefd313ab_b.jpg

4628969926_116c9a1d00_b.jpg

4628968512_c68612ceb4_b.jpg

4628967318_071f77edd2_b.jpg

4628964768_9fa31a53db_b.jpg

4628361121_1d17e328d6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

fantastic set joe !!!

.... hopefully will try get over your side of the country in the next week or two.... if yer up for a snorkle photo session ...or if you can recommend some place where I can go scuba (will have to rent some gear).

Scubadive West is the only place I know near here for renting gear, that's in Killary though which isn't the best for photos. I don't think there's anywhere near Carraroe....

Also was in Spiddal on Wednesday, vis wasn't good though so much photos were poor, this is the only decent one really;

IMG_0573.JPG?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

looks so surreal !!!

Am tempted to get a G10 or G11 and housing - as a backup (for the girlfriend to take photos when we goto Hawaii this year).... do you have an external strobe too joe ? .... are you limited using the compact - from reading online - using compacts you tend to miss anything moving at any real pace.

have a 5D and underwater housing .... just need to get more experience underwater (diving and photographing)

plan for hawaii - swimming with sharks/turtles/general marine life over there and the plants etc. (expensive as hell - but opportunity to experience it....and share it with the GF)

• Advertisement

No I don't have an external strobe, student budget says "no, enough already". You can put a slave strobe on any compact camera though.

I'd recommend a G11 over G10 and they tend to be cheaper as there's more around. G9 is generally recommended over G10 too... Canon didn't get much praise for packing the pixels into the G10. I got the underwater housing for it first for very cheap so that dictated my choice. Don't get me wrong it's a great setup but if buying from scratch I'd probably go G11.

I don't think you'd have any problem capturing moving fish with in Hawaii, I was able to get good exposure with 1/125s iso200 and you could probably manage faster in the waters over there.

You really sure you want to get into it? Not just quit and sell me your 5D with housing for cheap? ;)

No I don't have an external strobe, student budget says "no, enough already". You can put a slave strobe on any compact camera though.

I'd recommend a G11 over G10 and they tend to be cheaper as there's more around. G9 is generally recommended over G10 too... Canon didn't get much praise for packing the pixels into the G10. I got the underwater housing for it first for very cheap so that dictated my choice. Don't get me wrong it's a great setup but if buying from scratch I'd probably go G11.

I don't think you'd have any problem capturing moving fish with in Hawaii, I was able to get good exposure with 1/125s iso200 and you could probably manage faster in the waters over there.

You really sure you want to get into it? Not just quit and sell me your 5D with housing for cheap? ;)

Great shots again Joe , is the thornback a native or visitor, Have the G9 and ikelite myself, hoping to get out tomorrow for a dive.
    video is great too , what depth were you in? , good light.

Well I'd never met him before! :p We were only in 5 or 6 meters there, not much depth in Carraroe and it was low tide. Great for photos though!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Also was in Spiddal on Wednesday, vis wasn't good though so much photos were poor, this is the only decent one really;

IMG_0573.JPG?imgmax=800

awesome pic, looks as pcphoto said, surreal

great pics joe, i've been out off dalkey a few times over the past few weeks but mainly just seen lobster and crab.

Great images of the ray

4642552158_9a42426f14.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of jellyfish this is? It was about the size of a golf ball...

Also came across a small cuttlefish on our dive today;

4642588332_99357c009e.jpg

Short Video clip here: http://vimeo.com/12054949
    (Come on boards, integrate vimeo already!)

4642552158_9a42426f14.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of jellyfish this is? It was about the size of a golf ball...

cant tell you what type it is but it's a great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 adriano210

great shoots guys :)

From a night dive during the week:

5064353449_57d3a53e35_b.jpg

5064352683_5266e5dcc5_b.jpg

• Advertisement

5072675963_2114ac9e07_z.jpg

Advertisement