Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

did they? If they did they must have changed deleted a tweet as only aide out of contention was women which they said. They didn't say men were out of contention.

They certainly did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I grow to dislike whoever runs the Irish rugby social media more by the day. They lack any knowledge about rugby or the competitions the teams play in and its infuriating, obviously some "social media expert" with no rugby knowledge.

That's a small bit harsh no?

There was an instagram post that had since been deleted stating the men were out of contention. Mistakes happen.

Other than that I have seen no obvious indications that there is a stark lack of rugby knowledge on their social media platforms.

The bolded point is just unnecessarily antagonistic. Do you feel you're above this because you post here a lot and follow the club game?

Would you rather that a few users from these forums ran it instead? I can't think of many faster ways to lose followers :pac:

That's a small bit harsh no?

There was an instagram post that had since been deleted stating the men were out of contention. Mistakes happen.

Other than that I have seen no obvious indications that there is a stark lack of rugby knowledge on their social media platforms.

The bolded point is just unnecessarily antagonistic. Do you feel you're above this because you post here a lot and follow the club game?

Would you rather that a few users from these forums ran it instead? I can't think of many faster ways to lose followers :pac:

Maybe it is a bit harsh but it's the 5th or 6th time I've seen similar mistakes are they're really annoying. The national and provincial sides social media is seriously lacking though, all so targeted at mums it seems to me. Like we opened a brand new state of the art training complex at the NSC and there hasn't been anything about it, our national team are in world cup camp and compare the publicity to England and its seriously lacking. I get that they're trying to get to parents and play up the whole family friendly sport bit to get kids involved and play up the women's rugby bit to get women and girls involved but a bit of preaching to the choir is still needed, give us something meaty, get whoever runs the Bristol Bears account involved or someone that will do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Maybe it is a bit harsh but it's the 5th or 6th time I've seen similar mistakes are they're really annoying. The national and provincial sides social media is seriously lacking though, all so targeted at mums it seems to me. Like we opened a brand new state of the art training complex at the NSC and there hasn't been anything about it, our national team are in world cup camp and compare the publicity to England and its seriously lacking. I get that they're trying to get to parents and play up the whole family friendly sport bit to get kids involved and play up the women's rugby bit to get women and girls involved but a bit of preaching to the choir is still needed, give us something meaty, get whoever runs the Bristol Bears account involved or someone that will do similar.

English social media/comms actually have a great YouTube series they're doing called "Rising Sons" like a behind the scenes of the training camps.

• Advertisement

English social media/comms actually have a great YouTube series they're doing called "Rising Sons" like a behind the scenes of the training camps.

Yeah that's sort of what I was alluding to, give me stuff like that but our social media is all so focused on the middle aged match goer and parents it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Irish men and women finished 3rd and 4th in their grand Prix tournaments over the weekend meaning both got bronze overall

The highlight is the IRFU no knowing what country the women were playing in

HL74ryt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Irish men and women finished 3rd and 4th in their grand Prix tournaments over the weekend meaning both got bronze overall

The highlight is the IRFU no knowing what country the women were playing in

HL74ryt.jpg
    men played in Poland and women in Ukraine. Easy mistake to make shouldn't have happened though....
    very sloppy from irfu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland's own Greg O'Shea of Munster won love island

Ireland's own Greg O'Shea of Munster won love island

I do not, nor will I ever care about Love Island.

But one can't help but say fair play to the lad.

Goes off into a Villa in the sun for 2 weeks, gets himself a smashing looking girl, 25k pounds and 600k followers on Insta which will be much more valuable than the prize money.

Good on him. An unexpected feel good summer story in the rugby world ha.

• Advertisement

Dates, venues for world series announced today by world rugby
    https://twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status/1159457598338478081?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Goes off into a Villa in the sun for 2 weeks, gets himself a smashing looking girl, 25k pounds and 600k followers on Insta which will be much more valuable than the prize money.

1.5million instagram followers I believe. Not that I was watching it. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Coming back to play and finish his FE1s as well. Nice to see a calm head on ones shoulders off the back of overnight fame.

Womens world series starts in two weeks time in the US while Men dont start until December

The draw for the RugbyX tournament, to be staged at The O2 in London on 29th October has been made.
    RugbyX will be played on a 55m x 32m artificial grass pitch
    England, Ireland and the Barbarians are in Group A. France, USA and Argentina comprise Group B. The Women’s competition features England vs France in Semi Final 1 and USA vs Ireland in Semi Final 2.
    Games are in two stages. 4-6pm for semi finals in womens comp and group games for the men while womens final/3rd 4th playoff and mens quarters,semis and final are in 8.30pm-10.30pm session

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Got tickets for the evening session so hopefully the mens team will still be competing at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

In light of the World Cup can we really afford having a secondary system that perhaps sucks talent away (if we are going to ringfence our talent so tightly) Like surely Conroy is worth a shout in Connacht? Look at Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Niallof9 wrote: »
    In light of the World Cup can we really afford having a secondary system that perhaps sucks talent away (if we are going to ringfence our talent so tightly) Like surely Conroy is worth a shout in Connacht? Look at Keenan.

Conroy was given a shot in the Connacht academy, didn’t impress.

Niallof9 wrote: »

Conroy didn't make it past the sub academy. And based on his tackling technique I'm not too surprised. Absolutely box office going forwards mind you.

I'm fairly sure the provinces can manage a 2 month spell without a handful of sevens players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I disagree. Its nothing to do with whether the provinces can do without anybody, its whether we are utilising our resources properly and i suggest we aren't given the disaster of a season we have had. An example of the small net of 4 provinces being a hindrance. He was barely given a shot. Anyway at least Leinster are progressive enough to recognize the benefits. Conroy is good enough for a squad place in my book. Its Connacht, like, hardly the Harlem globetrotters. They took shots on loads of lads.

Kennedy and Dardis also will be wasting their time for a bit till 15 calls again. Too talented for this nonsense.

We have too small a pool to be taking academy players. Take AIL guys or unmapped players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Thud

Sevens adds depth to our system, it keeps more players on a professional track outside the limited number of provincial contracts

RugbyX has started and Ireland men's won their opening game against the barbarians.

Women's team just lost to USA so will play for 3rd later.

Edit: Mens beat England to qualify for semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is this being streamed?

Looks like it's being streamed on RugbyX.com if outside the UK and NZ.

It's on ITV 4 too. Not sure if that's available in Ireland.

It looks very full on in terms of spectacle.

England vs the BaaBaas was decided by a one v one sudden death, looks like a mental format but definitely entertaining.

https://streamable.com/kq80g

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ITV 4 available on Sky (Manual tuning)

Stream on rugbyx.com can be put on Chromecast too, brilliant stuff.

Argentina giving England a serious hiding. 10 tries to 2

55-15 final.

• Advertisement

English just couldn't get a grip of the tactics needed, kept trying to chip and chase and no real offloading because the Pumas were constantly in their face. Some performance.

Advertisement