Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair Transplant Experiences

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wd2ks10iht9jr6

Yes Dr Andre Nel comes highly recommended for an Irish Clinic.

I would of went to Dr Nel but it was just the price that didn't suit, alot cheaper than other clinics though. I would never use Finasteride and I use a natural DHT blocker instead.

Yes, I got them from the UK consultant for Cosmedica.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Are you taking finasteride?

I'm booked in with Andre Nel who insists on using finasteride.

Not taking Finasteride as Ailesbury absolutely advises against the use of it due to it's side effects.

I did hear of a case where a guy was taking a quarter of a tablet every two days which dramatically decreases the chances of side effects but as I don't want to be infertile (just yet), I'm holding off on using it at all!

I would of went to Dr Nel but it was just the price that didn't suit, alot cheaper than other clinics though. I would never use Finasteride and I use a natural DHT blocker instead.

Ailesbury do recommend natural DHT blockers, which I am taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I am also thinking of going the HT way. Have been using Fin and Rogaine for many years now, but have reached a point where only a HT can help.
    Would like to do it here, but companies like HRBR prices start at Eur 8000.

david_1888 wrote: »
    Not taking Finasteride as Ailesbury absolutely advises against the use of it due to it's side effects.

I did hear of a case where a guy was taking a quarter of a tablet every two days which dramatically decreases the chances of side effects but as I don't want to be infertile (just yet), I'm holding off on using it at all!

can't understand why any experienced HT surgeon will advise against Fin. Only Fin will maintain your existing hair.
    Perhaps they want to promote their own products....be vigilant!

suave.4u wrote: »
    can't understand why any experienced HT surgeon will advise against Fin. Only Fin will maintain your existing hair.
    Perhaps they want to promote their own products....be vigilant!

Not even, as they didn't give me products to take or try sell to me, and suggested I get natural blockers from a health store!

They advise against Fin because of the side effects, which there are a lot potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

Hi Guys.

Im a 28 yr old male and receding from the front and also very light on top. Ive noticed my hair thinning since 23/24 years of age.

The last year Ive being using Toppik on top to cover it but of course at times (weather etc) it doesnt always look well.

Recently Ive started using Regaine 5%, does people find it any good?

Im looking into a hair transplant in the next year so in regards to that whats a good clinic in Ireland that is reasonable cheap? I see Hrbr based in Dublin but there stated between 8 to 20k which is bit steep for me. Is there any where else in Ireland considerd cheaper?

I know the number of grafts etc come into cost. But all in all would I get a good deal in Ireland or even UK? OR am I better off going to Turkey or else where?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blueshorts

david_1888 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the messages.

I've actually decided to book in with a Dublin clinic and I'll be getting the procedure done next week.

Unfortunately my donor site isn't strong enough to get all of what I want done so will be getting the front temple areas done.

The reasons why I didn't end up going with Turkey is because (after sending all the relevant photos of the hair) one clinic said that I didn't have enough on the donor site to have the full procedure done and the other said I did, so was slightly concerned with conflicting info. Between that and the price being a lot cheaper than expected to get it done here.

Will share the experience after next week's procedure if anyone is looking for more information on it.

Thanks again!

Hi David

What clinic did you get the procedure done

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 15425g sg sdg

Does anyone have advice or experience with UFUE (unshaven FUE) hair transplants?

I am considering the procedure but would prefer not to shave my head for personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hi man, im getting mine done in 3 weeks with Dr Nel in malahide, i have left my hair grow longer than usual to cover up most of my recipient area as im not shaving my head, im just shaving the back where he will extract the graft's to be implanted, costs a little more to not shave the whole head though but i will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Paladium30 wrote:
    As a substitute to Finasteride, I use a 300 diode laser helmet 3 times per week, I take a sea kelp supplement in the morning, Resihi Mushroom in the evening along with pumpkin seed oil, Vitamin D3 and vitamin K2. I also use a dermaroller about once per week and take collagen poweder mixed in a glass of milk daily. It sounds a lot but it's fairly easy once your routine is set up

Sounds like a hair routine Patrick Bateman would be proud of!

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hi man, im getting mine done in 3 weeks with Dr Nel in malahide, i have left my hair grow longer than usual to cover up most of my recipient area as im not shaving my head, im just shaving the back where he will extract the graft's to be implanted, costs a little more to not shave the whole head though but i will let you know how it goes.

all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Can anyone advise the cost of a consultation at HRCB and whether it's worth it.
    I have done a small bit of research. I was thinking of getting their views first and then at least I'd have something to go when looking elsewhere?
    The common view online appears to indicate they're overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

They are way overpriced. I think a consultation with them may be €250.
    Try Ailesbury clinic I was charged €50 for a consultation with them.

HR is crazy money. Aylesbury is more reasonable but completely different results as they transplant by hair and not follicle, so quite expensive to get desired results. I decided to stay clear of Ireland and went to Turkey. Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

How did you get on?

kneejerk wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Hi got a few PMS so here I am day 10 after the op, the op itself is relatively pain free, getting the head numbed bit of pain but not bad, the Thursday night I met with Dr nel to do the incisions in the recipient area, this took maybe 2 hours. Back to the clinic at 7 am and donor hair was harvested and that afternoon implanted into recipient area. Surgery finished approx 6pm. Back in the Saturday at 7am and had bandages removed and was shown how yo wash the hair and instructions yo follow for next 2 weeks. Given pain meds for next week but all in all a straight forward experience . I got 2041 fue grafts and at day 10 my grafts can't dislodge anymore so back to gym tomorrow. I didn't shave the top o my head so when the scabs fall the next few days I should be able to cover the transplant with my hair. My donor hair is already nearly back to normal and he told my I have like 10000 grafts so nlenougj for another 3 transplants but he said I should get very good result and not need another one if I follow the meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

iebamm2580 How much did it cost please.?

• Advertisement

Hi got a few PMS so here I am day 10 after the op, the op itself is relatively pain free, getting the head numbed bit of pain but not bad, the Thursday night I met with Dr nel to do the incisions in the recipient area, this took maybe 2 hours. Back to the clinic at 7 am and donor hair was harvested and that afternoon implanted into recipient area. Surgery finished approx 6pm. Back in the Saturday at 7am and had bandages removed and was shown how yo wash the hair and instructions yo follow for next 2 weeks. Given pain meds for next week but all in all a straight forward experience . I got 2041 fue grafts and at day 10 my grafts can't dislodge anymore so back to gym tomorrow. I didn't shave the top o my head so when the scabs fall the next few days I should be able to cover the transplant with my hair. My donor hair is already nearly back to normal and he told my I have like 10000 grafts so nlenougj for another 3 transplants but he said I should get very good result and not need another one if I follow the meds.

What is the latest update buddy, hope all is well!

What is the latest update buddy, hope all is well!

Alls good donor hair back yo normal about blade 2 shave, mother said she can't see any marks from transplant, transplanted hair at my hairline getting thicker by the day, unfortunately that will fall out very soon this week or next and then its a waiting game. Its mad though even with just the new stubble my hair looks do much thicker, all in all a very easy hassle free experience wish I done it sooner but hopefully in 10 months I will have the same hair I had 10 years ago. Looks good so far and was happy with new lower hairline.

Was the face initially swollen for long? How many days did the swelling last. Also how many days do you think one should take off from work so that the whole procedure goes unnoticed :)

Was the face initially swollen for long? How many days did the swelling last. Also how many days do you think one should take off from work so that the whole procedure goes unnoticed :)

I had zero swelling as I slept as upright as possible using travel pillow, swelling can depend on how good the surgeon is too, at day 14 if you kept existing hair on top to comb over transplanted area it would be unnoticeable, all depends on type of hair loss you have, my redness and scabs gone by day 13, everybody recovers differently some guys still have redness months after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 15425g sg sdg

Does the scarring or 'pitting' from the donor area eventually heal completely?

I've heard mixed reports that it is not advised to shave the donor area tightly afterwards as the pitting will be visible forever...and others tell me the scarring fades after a few months.

Any first hand opinions here please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,975 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Does the scarring or 'pitting' from the donor area eventually heal completely?

I've heard mixed reports that it is not advised to shave the donor area tightly afterwards as the pitting will be visible forever...and others tell me the scarring fades after a few months.

Any first hand opinions here please?

A 2 blade is the tightest I was told. I've gone to a 1 at the donor area and its not noticeable on me. That said, people heal differently and so its probably an individual thing.

I didn't touch donar for 4 months post op.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DonalB1

Does anyone know how things will look with a HT in 20 years?

I’m seriously considering it but don’t want to be left with a great hairline at my temples and then random bald spots behind this

DonalB1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how things will look with a HT in 20 years?

I’m seriously considering it but don’t want to be left with a great hairline at my temples and then random bald spots behind this
    My thoughts are that I will keep up with finasteride for couple of years, lot of haisloss products in the pipeline that hopefully can maintain what I have when they come to market and can get off finasteride then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DonalB1

My thoughts are that I will keep up with finasteride for couple of years, lot of haisloss products in the pipeline that hopefully can maintain what I have when they come to market and can get off finasteride then.

Thanks for the response.

Is there anything natural that works, I read somewhere saw palmetto?

I just don’t want to be on any drug for the rest of my life

Advertisement