Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Substitution

• 19-06-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Roughly how long are lads waiting for a substitute license, new firearm purchased .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

1 and a half days was the quickest I had. 8.30 pm on Wednesday in the post Friday morning 9 am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

For me :

Fastest: Two working weeks from time of application to new licence card in the post.

Average: Month -ish

Slowest: Nearly 6 months - Purely down to an incompident Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Shortest was 2 weeks. Longest 3 months. Average seems to be around the month mark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Always within 10 days.

New "FO" and, well how do i put his nicely, they are a problem. Going on 6 weeks now and when i rang i was verbally berated for ringing, asked for stuff that is beyond (and i do mean beyond) the norm for a full application let alone a sub, and then told my one was going to the bottom of the pile because i dared to challenge their "authority".

So fun times ahead.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭del boi

Thanks , I'll sit tight & let ye know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

I waited 2 and a half months for a sub and had a application for a licence on new gun in 3 weeks. Doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I had a sub that took over a year....

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Cass wrote: »
    Always within 10 days.

New "FO" and, well how do i put his nicely, they are a problem. Going on 6 weeks now and when i rang i was verbally berated for ringing, asked for stuff that is beyond (and i do mean beyond) the norm for a full application let alone a sub, and then told my one was going to the bottom of the pile because i dared to challenge their "authority".

So fun times ahead.

Ah ****e. Not go straight to the super?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ah ****e. Not go straight to the super?

Sometimes the question "Is the duty Sergeant around ?" works wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭del boi

Update
    New license received , 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Maybe we should have qualified the posts by saying what general type of FA it is - mine was a pistol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭steyrman

I’m waiting 5 weeks on a sub licence but I can get a new licence in 4 weeks I will just have to stay buying new guns lol

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Does substitution application apply only to same firearm type and same caliber?

Or can you e.g. substitute with a larger calibre?

Never done a substitution and cannot readily see answer online - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    Always within 10 days.

So fun times ahead.

A formal complaint to the GO,will slacken that boys cough for him.If he stated that to you ,it is discrimination and downright abuse and no one is challenging his authorithy just his competence to do the job.Which he seems to have a problem with as well
    In short this prk has a bit of a complex for the slight bit of authorithy that he has.So Id kick this well up the chain and pay grade of everyone

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

ANNEX E: SUBSTITUTIONS & DISPOSAL OF FIREARMS
    SUBSTITUTIONS
    Section 11 of the 1964 Firearms Act as amended, provides for the substitution of firearm certificates, both restricted and non-restricted. Traditionally, applications made to the Garda Siochana to substitute one firearm for another were made on a 'like for like' basis with the intention of accommodating owners of firearms to swap a similar make and model firearm in circumstances where, for example, the original firearm was broken or no longer in working order.
    It should be noted however that an issuing person has discretion and every application to substitute one firearm for another is considered on its own individual merits. Ordinarily, the process should be completed by the Garda Siochana in a reasonable time frame of 14 days but can take longer if the issuing person decides further enquiries are deemed necessary with regard to the application. However, issuing superintendents shall ensure that no unnecessary delays occur in circumstances where the application is to simply substitute one firearm for another with no material changes.
    When assessing an application to substitute, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant's 'good reason' for possessing the firearm has not fundamentally changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting one firearm for another is allowable provided the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the 'good reason' must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant. If the 'good reason' has fundamentally changed then a new application will be required.

The above is taken from the:
    The Garda Commissioner's Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009.
    ANNEX E: SUBSTITUTIONS & DISPOSAL OF FIREARMS
    I've highlighted parts that may relavant.

The long and the short of it is that plenty of people substitute firearms that do not actually meet the guidelines. Rimfires are substituted for centre fire deer calibres and shotguns for rifles and vice a versa. The like for like can be interpreted as 'hunting for hunting use' and therefore in the eyes of the person processing the application would be deemed ok. I could see an issue with rimfires for deer legal centre fire calibres if the applicant didn't have a deer licence or relavant range membership, although I'm open to correction on that.
    I can vouch for substituting a rim fire for a deer legal centre fire but then again I had the appropriate deer licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Thanks Cookimonster

That’s clear to an extent but again leaves ambiguity and inconsistency once decisions can vary significantly amongst issuing persons I guess.

Advertisement