Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea 50k Feb 9th 2019

• 03-11-2018 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Starting a thread for this as can't see one. Looks like entries will close this weekend. Kinda looking forward to it. Did 17 mile this morning including 5 laps of the forest - will definitely be a mental challenge, was by myself and found it very tough- let's hope the training and crowd will see me over the line😂.
    So who's in? What sort of training plans are people doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Starting a thread for this as can't see one. Looks like entries will close this weekend. Kinda looking forward to it. Did 17 mile this morning including 5 laps of the forest - will definitely be a mental challenge, was by myself and found it very tough- let's hope the training and crowd will see me over the line😂.
    Signed up as my first event longer than a marathon. Did the Dublin marathon and had quite a bit of distance in the legs for an Ironman a few weeks beforehand.

Haven't really thought too much about a specific plans other than get some more miles in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Starting a thread for this as can't see one. Looks like entries will close this weekend. Kinda looking forward to it. Did 17 mile this morning including 5 laps of the forest - will definitely be a mental challenge, was by myself and found it very tough- let's hope the training and crowd will see me over the line��.

I always find the laps keep ticking by at a surprisingly quick rate. Maybe not the last 3, but by that time you can smell the finish.

I find running laps in training a major mental challenge but in a race it has never bothered me, ever.

What's the situation with an event with laps like this - can you have nutrition, change of clothes for example dropped that you can access on laps, or is that a no-no?

TheBazman wrote: »
    What's the situation with an event with laps like this - can you have nutrition, change of clothes for example dropped that you can access on laps, or is that a no-no?

Yes, you can leave whatever you need at the start/finish area and access it at the end of each lap as you need it.

I really don't see the need for a change of clothes in a 50k, but bringing your own nutrition is definitely recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm in. I got a chest infection on the week of the race this year so couldn't run but I went to cheer on some friends nonetheless and I can see why it's so popular. The atmosphere is brilliant and it really helps that the crowd can cheer you on each time you complete a loop. The RDs race briefing is also worth turning up for :D

Like TFB, I couldn't manage loops in training but in races, it's actually great fun and the time flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

I'm in as well, didn't make the original 'private' event but have been there every year since.

Yes, you can leave whatever you need at the start/finish area and access it at the end of each lap as you need it.

I really don't see the need for a change of clothes in a 50k, but bringing your own nutrition is definitely recommended.

Cheers - only asking about the clothes as there could be any type of weather at that time of the year, but yeah shouldn't really need a change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'm in too. Long time since I've done anything over marathon distance, 6 years since I've run this race- looking forward to it, just need to sort a few niggles out after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers - only asking about the clothes as there could be any type of weather at that time of the year, but yeah shouldn't really need a change

Tempting fate a little, but it's the opposite of exposed in Donadea. It can obviously be wet and cold at that time of year, but layering will help with that. If a change helps then no harm in bringing one along, though maybe prepare for an extra slagging from the Run Director.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Less than two weeks out now for my first 50k. Ran EOI Staplestown/Tirmoghan marathon on Saturday last as a training run. Went well happy with pace. Looking forward/slightly dreading the 50k but trust the training and hopefully I will come through it unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

kiloecho15 wrote: »
    Less than two weeks out now for my first 50k. Ran EOI Staplestown/Tirmoghan marathon on Saturday last as a training run. Went well happy with pace. Looking forward/slightly dreading the 50k but trust the training and hopefully I will come through it unscathed.
    Same as myself, ran the full on Saturday and felt the pace was good and could easily have done another lap on the day. Have to say I run most of those roads regularly but never that loop and found it a great course, if it wasn't for the conditions I'd say a good time could be achieved (if Anto could get the distance right :D).
    Will be interesting to see how a 2 week taper fares out, shortest taper I've done - let's hope it works plenty of rest and easy runs from here on in.

Same as myself, ran the full on Saturday and felt the pace was good and could easily have done another lap on the day. Have to say I run most of those roads regularly but never that loop and found it a great course, if it wasn't for the conditions I'd say a good time could be achieved (if Anto could get the distance right :D).
    Will be interesting to see how a 2 week taper fares out, shortest taper I've done - let's hope it works plenty of rest and easy runs from here on in.

What I took from the run was that I should be well able for the 50k distance in the time allowed. Hoping for 4:30 in Donadea. Thought the marathon measured a bit long ( I know gps watches are not accurate ), it measured 26.70. The most I have ever recorded in a marathon. I think if I had to run another lap on Saturday I would have just about managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

What I took from the run was that I should be well able for the 50k distance in the time allowed. Hoping for 4:30 in Donadea. Thought the marathon measured a bit long ( I know gps watches are not accurate ), it measured 26.70. The most I have ever recorded in a marathon. I think if I had to run another lap on Saturday I would have just about managed it.
    Stick up ur stravas yis pair of moany cuunts.... I forsee ye doin 11 fookin laps .. Edit stick in a :)

Stick up ur stravas yis pair of moany cuunts.... I forsee ye doin 11 fookin laps .. Edit stick in a :)

:eek::eek: :D

I might be out. My hip is acting its age and I think it's touch and go if it will behave in time. :(

Also, I can't find my pink compression socks. :D

Was supposed to do that as well but woke up on Sat morning feeling like crap so missed it :( On the positive side after taking a few ibuprofen I did manage to make a parkrun I hadn't visited before in Dublin so not a total loss. The 50k will be struggle I imagine.

opus wrote: »
    The 50k will be struggle I imagine.

We could sit on the sidelines and do a Statler and Waldorf double act as runners keep passing by

The 50k will be struggle I imagine.

We could sit on the sidelines and do a Statler and Waldorf double act as runners keep passing by
    We did that last year and it is a lot of fun!! It's amazing to see runners go through highs and lows with each lap, you start to recognize them and debate their finishing state. My turn to be the source of ridicule to my club mates this year:D Wondering why I signed up now - seemed like a good idea at the time

Stick up ur stravas yis pair of moany cuunts.... I forsee ye doin 11 fookin laps   .. Edit stick in a :)
    Ah sure the longer route gave us some extra training :):)
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/2104265092/embed/be8af642474c73febc0fb9d31674bb63a937bc99'></iframe&gt;

Race day instructions are up on FB, always a great read:). A bit ambiguous on the old headphone issue...

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]RACE DAY INSTRUCTIONS.READ THEM AND NO STUPID QUESTIONS PLEASE ESPECIALLY FROM FIRST TIMERS[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Race start time ....10:00 am sharp
    Number pick up….Will take place in Donadea Forest from 8:15-9:15. The barrier will be up from 8:10am until 9:00am,after that you are paying a fiver in,Dont be that guy that is late and is holding everyone up…. ENTER THROUGH THE MAIN DONADEA ENTRANCE and go to the carpark. Park in one of the spaces and go directly to registration..Be Early[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The course…. 10 x 4.968 km loops with a 0.32km run up to the start line to make it 50km.The course will be marked at every km,but due to the nature of the course(extra run up)the km markers will only take into account the actual loop.BE AWARE THERE IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 200 OF YOU WHO WILL BE LAPPED,MOST OF THE 200 WILL GET LAPPED MULTIPLE TIMES,DO NOT GATHER INTO GROUPS AND TAKE OVER THE PATH.IF YOU HEAR A RUNNER COMING UP BEHIND YOU MOVE ASIDE.REMEMBER THIS IS A RACE,NOT A FUN RUN. There will be a marshall on a bike in front of the race leader, if u hear his whistle or his bell, move to the RIGHT so the runners can move by on your left or he will knock u down.[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118322861[/font][/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Start line...We will be starting at the front of the castle and finishing at the front of the cafe,the route is still the exact same.No Earphones[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Race Briefing.....Race briefing is at 9:40 Sharp. [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1f642.png:)[/font][/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The 5hr cut off…Everyone who has entered knows there is a 5hr cut off.There is a 5hr pacer/sweeper running at 9:38minutes per mile or 6 minutes per km, his and her job is to get you to 40km in 4hrs .FOR anyone MORE THAN 30 minutes behind at this point, you have no fooking chance of finishing,and will be mocked mercilessly.If you have compression gear on we will double the abuse.Anyone finishing after 5hrs will be on the results only until monday evening ,you will then be deleted, so if u want to screenshot ur time for Insta/Facebook post that is your only chance..The last person i see on the finishing straight at 5:00:00 gets to turn off the clock There is also a 445 pacer and a 4:30 pacer provided.NO IFS,BUTS, MAYBES,COULD OF'S,SHOULD OF'S or SAD STORIES.THE CLOCK GOES OFF WHEN THE LAST PERSON I SEE AT 5hrs PASSES OVER THE LINE. NO EARPHONES[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]First aid….Saint John's Ambulance will be in attendance for the duration of the race (5hrs)[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Food/water stations….There will be water provided in bottles and unlimited water in cups at the start/ finish area. There will be tables provided for you to put any drinks or food that you bring for yourself.Please remember it is not a picnic,don't bring tonnes of grub and take up half a table,no has died of starvation or dehydration in Donadea yet.bring any of your belongings away from the table when you are finished. I do not offer a lost and found service,so please do not message me asking if i found a blue Columbia jacket... anything left on the table after 5+ hrs goes into a bin or if its decent into my running clothes drawer.. No Earphones[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Timing…Lap timing will be provided by Pop Up Races.As with everything old school the race is run off Gun time.Wear your number on the front of your body,not underneath your coat or wrapped up in a ball in your pocket.Please don't stop at the timing desk and ask Brian what lap you are on ,If you are unsure look at your watch.If that dosen't work ask someone to find out for you and continue on with your lap,if you have done an extra lap,you should of checked earlier,We will try and call out when you are on your last lap.[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]SOUNDS.. Rocky music will more than likely be playing as u Start, finish and more than likely the entire 5 hrs .Beck's, Im a loser will be playing after 5hrs.Due to some fooking snowflakes complaining about the RD's fooking language on the mic last year, iv decided to get a Dj. You will be paying extra €10next year to pay for this. No earphones[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Directions ….From Dublin take (N4) leave the motor way at junction 8(kilcock), head towards Clane (R407). At approximately 6km, turn right at Baltreacy cross and drive through minor crossroads, continue to next junction (stop sign), turn right and the forest entrance is circa 1km on the left hand side.
    From the west (M4), get off at junction 8 (Kilcock) 1st exit after toll, and follow directions above.
    From the south (M7), take the Naas exit, junction 9. Drive towards Sallins, Clane and follow signs for Kilcock. Entering Clane Main Street, turn left at Topaz garage and drive 6+km, up to Baltreacy cross, turning left and following directions above.
    Please familiarise yourself with the route to Donadea forest park as I won't be taking phone calls looking for directions. The race will start on time.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Environment …..
    The race is run on the leave no trace principal ([font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.leavenotraceireland.org.[/font]
    ) There will be bins at the start/finish area and with any Marshalls on duty. Please do not litter the course and please use the bins for any gels, bottles or wrappers that you may use on the course. Do not leave any gels, bottles, any foodstuffs of any kind at the km markers or directional signs. Anyone littering will be disqualified and asked to leave the course as per the environment policy.Please Don be dickhead that throws your rubbish on the ground and expect someelse to pick it up,again a directional sign or km marker is not a bin[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Jaxes….There will be five portaloos on the course at the start finish area. Use them. No earphones[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There are NO facilities for showering in the forest park ,unless you fancy skinny dippin in the lake, so bring warm dry clothes to get into after the race. There is no post-race refreshments available, please bring something to eat post-race. There is a cafe in the forest for tea's and coffee[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]MASSAGE There will be limited massage available during and post-race provided by a Hot Burd from Kinseally[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]👩*🌾[/font][/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Medals ….Will be presented as you finish
    Presentation of winners trophies will take place 15 minutes after 3rd place gets sorted[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]To Summise.. #1.Turn up and run 10 laps and fook off
    #2. Dont be a dickhead
    #3 Dont litter[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]#4 will make up somthing in case i forget[/font]

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone running in the forest tomorrow!

Well plenty of runners did pass me by as my total lack of long runs in Jan came back to bite me for the last three laps. Made it to the finish thankfully so can't complain really. Great event as always, first time I've ever had my boards username on my number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Well plenty of runners did pass me by as my total lack of long runs in Jan came back to bite me for the last three laps. Made it to the finish thankfully so can't complain really. Great event as always, first time I've ever had my boards username on my number :)

Its the little details.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

Just spotted on their facebook group that online entries for 2020 are out for this in the morning.

For those who have done it before, how did the jump from marathon distance up to 50K work out for you? First marathon for me is this year's DCM so thought this would be a good event to follow on from that with 3 months in between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

py wrote: »
    Just spotted on their facebook group that online entries for 2020 are out for this in the morning.

For those who have done it before, how did the jump from marathon distance up to 50K work out for you? First marathon for me is this year's DCM so thought this would be a good event to follow on from that with 3 months in between them.

Do marathon training and run a little slower on the day. It's not *that* much further! I ran it a little too aggressively and had a "fun" final two laps, so don't do that.

Pretty much what they said ^^^^

If you can run a marathon an extra 8k shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although having said that I always find lap 8 tough going but normally rally a bit for the last two then.

^^^^ yup

The required fitness level is the same as for a marathon.

The difference is mainly in your head. If you ran a marathon and at the finish somebody told you to run an extra 8k, you'd probably collapse. On the other hand, if you know right from the start that you will be running 50k, that's what you focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have my eye on this.

Will see about signing up depending on new job commute/working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Just signed up for 2020, What have i done.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm in too. I missed the last 2 years due to injuries so 3rd time lucky.

I originally wanted to better my first time (4.54) but reckon now it will be another just finish within the 5 hr cutoff.:D

Advertisement