Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father Ted

• 19-07-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

fatherted.jpg

So, I wanted to start a thread on this little beauty, which seems to have achieved an almost divinely worshipped status worldwide - not surprising

But what do people here think of it, is it too Irish, is it too Catholic...has it given people the wrong idea of Irish culture or is it an embarrassment to the Church...what exactly do people think, God and Bad lol, of Father Ted

And how many times have you quoted it in your life, watched episodes, and indeed just wished there had of been some more episodes...or at least another Christmas special

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I watched an episode of it on 4OD Youtube last night. It's still good but the shine is beginning to wear of it. I'm getting a bit sick of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yeah, they really need some new episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The word LEGENDARY was created for this show,I never get tired of it. I shudder to think how many times i've watched the whole series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Watched the episodes countless times. Great programme but unfortunate that Dermot Morgan died soon after the series ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Best show ever - anyone who says otherwise is a fuppin' backstard...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think because we grew up with Father Ted that nostalgia adds to the programme. One of the greatest televisions shows ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I could watch this show on an endless loop forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Great show,I think it's spot on about us Irish,we're just a shower of eejits at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Best show ever - anyone who says otherwise is a fuppin' backstard...

The one where they are in the plane is better I think...

"Look Ted, you put a pound in and the virgin Mary appears on the green!"

Part of the beauty of it is that it ended when it did and didn't go on for too long and become repetitive and run out of ideas. I remember reading that the writers were thinking of ending it when it did anyway. Sadly it was hastened by Dermot Morgans untimely death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Helium

Up there with Fawlty Towers and great it ended when it did, but a pity Dermot didn't hang around for another 20 years or so a very talented man. (Didn't ye love scrap saturdays as well).
    Thought that was a great story Tommy Tiernan has about the episode he appeared in (turned out it was the last one made)!

Tiernan spoke of the part he played in the death of fellow comic Dermot Morgan in a 2009 documentary shown on TV3 Ireland. Tiernan played a priest in an episode of Father Ted in which Morgan played the title character. The episode, which was the last filmed and the last broadcast, featured a scene where Tiernan's character, Fr. Kevin, was depressed and sitting at a table while Ted was jumping around and dancing. The producers said Tiernan's face was not quite right and they had to do the scene again and again. Morgan was said to be exhausted but persuaded to give it one more go. Then filming wrapped and Tiernan went to London the next day. That evening a taxi driver informed him that Morgan had unexpectedly and suddenly died. It was 1998. At the funeral Ardal O'Hanlon, who played Father Dougal McGuire, turned to Tiernan and whispered in his ear "you killed Father Ted!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

" You can tell Frosty to feck off" Joe Rooney played this part down to a tee. Also Tommy Tiernan and Graham Norton started some of their first TV apperances on Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^ But don't hold that against the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Greatest "Irish" show by a country mile.

All people talking about the amount of times they have watched it. I'd imagine the amount of people in the country who would seriously know Father Ted episodes word for word would be pisstakingly high?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

July 19th
    On this day
    Galway liberated from Indians,
    Marathon becomes Snickers,
    Aha Ted, Ice age ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Just thinking about it has be smiling and I really want to watch the series again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

And it crosses so many borders too...

Imagine my surprise when my (now extended) family in the philippines are breaking their sides in giggles at it ! .. I honestly didnt think they'd get it..

I think the fact that its such a catholic culture here as well makes it all the more funny to 'em I think though.
    "Look Ted, you put a pound in and the virgin Mary appears on the green!"
    "You know, with something like this, it would have been so easy to make it look cheap and tacky"

And we all look to the GOLDIE gold coated sacred heart shrine on the wall :P

Believe it or not .. I've seen IR sensor jesus heads and crucifixes here that "bless you" and flash when you walk past :-O

Could sell 'em at tedfest !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

But what do people here think of it, is it too Irish, is it too Catholic...has it given people the wrong idea of Irish culture or is it an embarrassment to the Church...what exactly do people think, God and Bad lol, of Father Ted

yes, its very irish and very catholic.......but thats why its so funny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Careful now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I was thinking today, if Fianna Fail used more Father Ted quotes I'd be much more forgiving of this whole ballsed up economy.

I think if Ivor Callely gave a press release dressed as a priest pisstakingly commenting "The money was just resting in my account". I'd nearly let him away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

"Fuppin Hell" is my favourite line from any episode.It was said twice in the same episode, obviously the full unedited version. Anyone care to guess what episode?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the sheep episode, and I always thought he says ****

oh wiat, no.. in the whistle episode someone says fup alot, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

TED! you forgot your brick :D

speed 3 will always be my favourite episode

Ya spot on....it was the sheep episode.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    TED! you forgot your brick :D

speed 3 will always be my favourite episode

Should we have a poll for favourite episodes? I'm sure we could narrow the selection down to 4 or 5 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Remember this guy?

pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQb7sl7Wke_qx-ebpmFjiCrAAAAAro19ICNzxqhxZgsU9DZ-xO

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Remember this guy?

pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQb7sl7Wke_qx-ebpmFjiCrAAAAAro19ICNzxqhxZgsU9DZ-xO

Daaaaaddddddyyyyy!!!!

BrianJD wrote: »
    Should we have a poll for favourite episodes? I'm sure we could narrow the selection down to 4 or 5 episodes?

All of season 3,the final season is brilliant. Speed 3 is my personal favourite.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im pretty sure he says it. I remember the first time i saw that bit i was on the floor laughing. It's one of my favourite episodes.

The bit where Dougal is describing the Beast is brilliant as well.

I absolutely love Father Ted and i never get tired of watching it. I've seen some episodes countless times and there still as funny as the first time i watched them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone remember Father Deegan, from the lingerie dept? :)

3151130.jpg

I knew I knew him from somewhere as I watched Rome, took me a while to figure it out.

rome_ep2_vorenus.jpg

In Grey's Anatomy now... Father Ted seems like a ways away now!

Advertisement