Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Found: Visa Debit card

• 28-03-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

I found an AIB visa debit card belonging to one A Quinn in the carpark outside Halfords. Anyone knows her on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I found an AIB visa debit card belonging to one Ailse Quinn in the carpark outside Halfords. Anyone knows her on here?
    Just drop it in to the nearest AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just drop it in to the nearest AIB?
    I suppose that's the done thing but no AIB bank opens on the weekend. Who knows, she might be looking to hit the town tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Look her up on Facebook maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Slunk wrote: »
    Look her up on Facebook maybe

Creepy much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

She's probably cancelled it by phone anyway if she's noticed it missing so even if you did contact her she'd still have to wait for a new card to be issued by her bank.

Just return to AIB, Garda station or destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I suppose that's the done thing but no AIB bank opens on the weekend. Who knows, she might be looking to hit the town tonight.

Good point. AIB have a 24 hour lost card helpline, they might put her in contact with you if she's not already cancelled it.

Good point. AIB have a 24 hour lost card helpline, they might put her in contact with you if she's not already cancelled it.
    No, they'd just cancel the card once they know it's in someone else's possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

in case she hasn't noticed its missing, ring the helpline number on the back of card, they'll cancel it immediately and then you should hand it into nearest bank when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,071 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cut up the card and dispose of it, security has been compromised, bank will just cancel it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Fieldog wrote: »
    Creepy much?

Welcome to the internet friend, is it your first time here?

• Advertisement

Rang AIB. They asked me to bring it to the nearest Garda station and they would call her.

No, they'd just cancel the card once they know it's in someone else's possession.
    Wrong
    in case she hasn't noticed its missing, ring the helpline number on the back of card, they'll cancel it immediately and then you should hand it into nearest bank when you can.
    Wrong
    Cut up the card and dispose of it, security has been compromised, bank will just cancel it anyway.
    Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Why do you think my reply is wrong - it's the exact advise given to me by AIB less than 2 weeks ago when I found a card on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Rang AIB. They asked me to bring it to the nearest Garda station and they would call her.

Really!?
    But how would they know how to contact her? Would AIB just release her contact information on the strength of a call like that?
    I'm very surprised. Surely AIB customer service just call her themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

Why do you think my reply is wrong - it's the exact advise given to me by AIB less than 2 weeks ago when I found a card on the street.

It's probably because they have completed a one day course on lost visa debit cards, through a boards thread and are now an expert in the subject area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Call me Al wrote: »
    Really!?
    But how would they know how to contact her? Would AIB just release her contact information on the strength of a call like that?

They = AIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

That was all good advice (despite AIB telling you to drop it to Garda station)...like no need to be snotty to posters who took time to write a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I found a wallet lying in the carpark of one of Limericks lowcost supermarkets two weeks ago ..... I asked the manager of the store if anyone had reported a lost wallet .... no report had been made ......

The wallet had credit cards ...... driving permit etc

I dropped wallet into the local Garda station and was told they would contact the owner quickly ..... I left my mob no and got a call a little later in the day to say the owner was delighted to hear the wallet had been handed in .....

That's it ..... end of story :)

Of course they told you to bring it to the nearest Garda station & yes they will contact her, but they have no way of knowing that you will bring it to the nearest Garda station or what you will do with the card before you get there.

They have a duty of care to the account holder to safeguard their funds. As soon as they were made aware that the card wasn't in the account holder's possession they would have cancelled the card. It would have been cancelled before the call was completed.

They would contact the account holder, inform her that her card was found & infomed her that it was now cancelled, not to worry & that a new card will issue in due course. They would also ask her to confirm the last few transactions on the account.

Now you can think what you like but that's standard protocol & frankly it's pretty naive of you to think otherwise.

Of course they told you to bring it to the nearest Garda station & yes they will contact her, but they have no way of knowing that you will bring it to the nearest Garda station or what you will do with the card before you get there.

They have a duty of care to the account holder to safeguard their funds. As soon as they were made aware that the card wasn't in the account holder's possession they would have cancelled the card. It would have been cancelled before the call was completed.

They would contact the account holder, inform her that her card was found & infomed her that it was now cancelled, not to worry & that a new card will issue in due course. They would also ask her to confirm the last few transactions on the account.

Now you can think what you like but that's standard protocol & frankly it's pretty naive of you to think otherwise.
    You would have thought that's what they'd do alright. She did contact me though to say thank you and that she'd just collected it.

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    Really!?

They asked me to call out the card number and then asked me to confirm her name. Then they called her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Really scary customer service from AIB if they didn't cancel the card.
    Anyone could have taken the card numbers while it was "lost".

M

Banks tell you to never let the card out of your sight when paying for an item through chip and pin, in this case it would be unknown who could have recorded the details while the card was lost. Any bank that would let the customer use the card after an event like this would be wreckless.

Banks tell you to never let the card out of your sight when paying for an item through chip and pin, in this case it would be unknown who could have recorded the details while the card was lost. Any bank that would let the customer use the card after an event like this would be wreckless.

If you have ever paid for a meal in the us you would agree that taking your card away from your table is the norm.

M

If you have ever paid for a meal in the us you would agree that taking your card away from your table is the norm.

Limerick is not the US. In the US most large purchases require ID with credit/debit card as they do not use Chip And Pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think the lesson to be learned from this thread is that the next time you find something, either ignore it or stay schtum.
    Unless you can package it for internet consumption (include some emotional phonecall to your granny, a dancing animal, a precocious child, a meme with ironically cool incorrect grammar/spelling etc etc).

dellas1979 wrote: »
    That was all good advice (despite AIB telling you to drop it to Garda station)...like no need to be snotty to posters who took time to write a reply.
    Yes sorry. I was in a rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I've founds phones in car parks in the past. Usually I try to call "Home" or "Mam" and failing that I check the messages to try to find someone they are close to and call them. Then I arrange where I can leave the phone for them to collect.

Found a purse in town one time. Checked the student Id (they had credit cards and cash also) made sure the names on the cards where the same and found them on Facebook. Arranged with them where they could pick up the purse with said cash and cards.

Its a lot of hassle to replace cards. I always say leave it up to the card owner. If I have their card then I know I'm not using it. If they want to cancel it they still can. Just do your best to get it back to them as promptly as possible. If you cant just leave it in a garda station.

Delighted it worked out for the owner of the cards this time. There are actually way more honest people than is often credited.

Advertisement