Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Benetton has moved to Crusies St.

Yankee Candle is still in the Crescent where it always was :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

RonMexico wrote: »
    I know some of these businesses have moved. Most moved out of the city, which has just the same effect as closing altogether on the city and its reputation as a dying place to do business.

EDIT: Maybe for businesses that have moved I will indicate as such on the list. What do you think?

While the majority of the businesses in the list were in the city centre, around 40 of the businesses weren't. You have stuff listed from the out of town shopping centres, raheen, castletroy, corbally, etc. I think that this shows that its not just the city centre thats in trouble, its the whole of Limerick.

Also to as to highlydebaseds list
    12 Next - Crusies St - Unit taken over by River Island
    28 Kranks Corner Thomas Street - burger place (can't remember the name)
    42 Pat Keoghs - the petrol station is closed, but the BMW dealership reopened.
    44 Harris Pub - Riverpoint - Now Glasshouse restaurant?
    51 Wheelers Grill - Groody Roundabout - Now Supermacs
    62 Yellow Road Take Away - Edward Street - Reopened with a new name
    78 Heiton Buckleys - Dock Road - still open on the Ballysimon rd.
    103 Ecowarm - They had a half page ad in the limerick post for the last few weeks. I don't think they're closed.
    116 United Drug - Clare Street - they're downsizing not closing.

And you've clancys listed twice.
    Pat keoghs petrol station has reopened

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Remember though, the original list was started over 18 months ago, and it included places that had been closed for some time before then. It was more like a real-time stream of closures than an regularly updated "Re-opened/Replaced/Re-located" kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just because a business reopens in a unit does not mean it is the same business regardless of whether it is in the same sector that is just being pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I might also point out that I merely compiled the list from entries posted on the closed thread. I don't even know where half these places are. Just had a bit of spare time to do the donkey work necessary to go through the thread.

I also agree with Kilburn on that last comment. A closed business is a closed business.It is great if another place opens in the same spot but that does not mean that it is the same workers or that it somehow negates the previous closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Just because a business reopens in a unit does not mean it is the same business regardless of whether it is in the same sector that is just being pedantic

Yep and it does not mean it has rehired the same number of staff or at the same rate of pay. In fact there is one business in Limerick that closed one of their branches that then opened a new branch and now hires the same amount of people as the old branch did, but at least half of the staff are there on work placement schemes. So that business is contributing less than it did to the spending power of it's staff, and those working there on the WPP schemes don't add any extra taxes back to the state or any more spending power than they had on the dole.

So in effect the city/county is worse off as there are now more people with less to spend in Limerick than there was when the original branch was open.

While the majority of the businesses in the list were in the city centre, around 40 of the businesses weren't. You have stuff listed from the out of town shopping centres, raheen, castletroy, corbally, etc. I think that this shows that its not just the city centre thats in trouble, its the whole of Limerick.

Also to as to highlydebaseds list
    12 Next - Crusies St - Unit taken over by River Island
    28 Kranks Corner Thomas Street - burger place (can't remember the name)
    42 Pat Keoghs - the petrol station is closed, but the BMW dealership reopened.
    44 Harris Pub - Riverpoint - Now Glasshouse restaurant?
    51 Wheelers Grill - Groody Roundabout - Now Supermacs
    62 Yellow Road Take Away - Edward Street - Reopened with a new name
    78 Heiton Buckleys - Dock Road - still open on the Ballysimon rd.
    103 Ecowarm - They had a half page ad in the limerick post for the last few weeks. I don't think they're closed.
    116 United Drug - Clare Street - they're downsizing not closing.

And you've clancys listed twice.

Maybe he did that because their store in the city closed first, with some of the staff being let go, and then the store out by the Parkway closed with the rest of the staff being let go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep and it does not mean it has rehired the same number of staff or at the same rate of pay. In fact there is one business in Limerick that closed one of their branches that then opened a new branch and now hires the same amount of people as the old branch did, but at least half of the staff are there on work placement schemes. So that business is contributing less than it did to the spending power of it's staff, and those working there on the WPP schemes don't add any extra taxes back to the state or any more spending power than they had on the dole.

So in effect the city/county is worse off as there are now more people with less to spend in Limerick than there was when the original branch was open.

What business is doing this and people can boycott them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »

Jaysus guys. The main point of my post was that a third of the businesses were outside the city centre. It not just a city centre problem.

I wasn't trying to be patronising, he asked for updates on the places that had moved or were closed / reopened. Thats all I was doing. eg Next didn't close, it moved out to the Parkway and River Island took over the unit and Ecowarm seems to be still trading.

@RonMexico. I didn't realise it wasn't your own list.

Jaysus guys. The main point of my post was that a third of the businesses were outside the city centre. It not just a city centre problem.

I wasn't trying to be patronising, he asked for updates on the places that had moved or were closed / reopened. Thats all I was doing. eg Next didn't close, it moved out to the Parkway and River Island took over the unit and Ecowarm seems to be still trading.

@RonMexico. I didn't realise it wasn't your own list.

No worries. The bit in bold though I have to address. By moving out to the Parkway it closed the branch on Cruises Street. Did they rehire the same staff? Also by moving to the parkway it has a negative effect on the city.

The reason I am saying this is because some people (maybe yourself/maybe not) seem to think that moving a business doesn't matter. Maybe within the city but when it is from the city to the likes of the Parkway or Crescent it very much matters. It results in a city with little or no attractions for shoppers and this results in a zombie city with little or no footfall which only puts the remaining stores under even more pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cruises Street had some rate incentive for the first 15 years. That's why come the late 2000s a lot of the shops were struggling with the jack up in rent and had to leave.

The units were tiny aswell.
    You couldn't swing a cat in Next. They probably would have stayed if they had a decent sized unit.

The units on Bedford Row arent much better. They're grand for the shops that use them but they'll never attract the likes of Topshop or a H&M.

bigpink wrote: »

They are breaking no law by doing so. So naming a business that is doing something that I personally find to be pretty underhand but that is not illegal to do would only end badly for me.

No worries. The bit in bold though I have to address. By moving out to the Parkway it closed the branch on Cruises Street. Did they rehire the same staff? Also by moving to the parkway it has a negative effect on the city.

The reason I am saying this is because some people (maybe yourself/maybe not) seem to think that moving a business doesn't matter. Maybe within the city but when it is from the city to the likes of the Parkway or Crescent it very much matters. It results in a city with little or no attractions for shoppers and this results in a zombie city with little or no footfall which only puts the remaining stores under even more pressure.

All true, but what tends to get ignored is what most of the businesses that leave the city for the outskirts say in relation to why they left. Almost all that gave interviews to the local press stated that it was not cost effective for them to stay in Limerick city and that anything they said to the City council fell on deaf ears.

The city council can whinge about the Crescent shopping centre and the other out of town centres all they like, but for as long as the city stays uncompetitive in terms of rates, rents, and services for businesses the city will continue to see unit after unit become empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

2 more shops closed in arthur quay.

Ladies 2nd hand clothes shop as you go in door on left.

Mc sweeney pharmacy, big accross way from tesco/patrick st. Sign in window ceased trading till further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Mc sweeney pharmacy, accross way from tesco/patrick st. Sign in window ceased trading till further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc sweeney pharmacy, accross way from tesco/patrick st. Sign in window ceased trading till further notice.

2nd Avenue Style has relocated to Thomas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

McSweeney's was put into interim examinership in the high court today. No link but on rte website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

ABEasy wrote: »
    McSweeney's was put into interim examinership in the high court today. No link but on rte website.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1027/mcsweeney.html

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flippa

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hi flippa

Unfortunately i had to remove the content of your post. This thread isnt really about issues with employees and employers

Maybe posting over in Work & Jobs might lead to an answer to your questions

Thanks

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flippa

Was walking past the Fish Spa place on Ellen Street at 2.30pm yesterday and it was closed, as was the store (headshop?) next to it. Anyone know what that is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was walking past the Fish Spa place on Ellen Street at 2.30pm yesterday and it was closed, as was the store (headshop?) next to it. Anyone know what that is about?

Fish spa was previously the headshop. It became a costume shop for Halloween. Not sure if the fish spa is reopening there. The building next to it is a tanning salon all owned by the same people. Always thought there was something dodgy about those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Corner shop across from St. Mary's secondary school is closed, name escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Corner shop across from St. Mary's secondary school is closed, name escapes me.

Ryan's College Park Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Don't know if it's been said already, but been trying to call the docklands restaurant in steamboat quay for the last week, no answer and the place has been closed and lights off every time I've drove past.

Looks like another one gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

source wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been said already, but been trying to call the docklands restaurant in steamboat quay for the last week, no answer and the place has been closed and lights off every time I've drove past.

Looks like another one gone.

i've been holding out on posting this one myself for the last couple of weeks in the hope that it'd reopen but alas no... :(

about two months ago i was talking to the head waitress in there and she told me the two chefs had taken it over as the owner had pulled out, she said she didn't know how long they could last (as the meat was originally sourced from the owner's family farm back in tipperary), but then two weeks later, they seemed to be closed down for good, and there on saturday the original owner was moving furniture out into a white van.

it's an awful pity as i was a regular customer in there and the food was top quality. it just never seemed to take off though like the french table down from it, most nights they were fairly empty whereas to have made any money they would have had to turn over two full services every night.

it was an awful stumbling block too that they couldn't take cards, or even make some sort of an arrangement with the clarion (i know the heritage hotel in portlaoise has a dinner deal with the foundry steakhouse), that would have brought in the tourist trade at least instead of them all heading uptown for dinner (the clarion has a thai restaurant).

its a shame because he must only be there less than a year and i remember passing by the place every day when i used be going to and from work when he was setting it up and he must have poured a fortune into the place, as well as doing a lot of the work himself, like laying the floors, etc.

i cant see another restaurant going in there now tbh, because he took over where the indian closed down, if schooners was still there and they ripped that godawful skateboard park out of the ground, there might have been some hope of steamboat quay becoming a lively quarter of limerick city, but thats a discussion for another thread... :(

Advertisement