Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost & Found

• 14-09-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭

I found a TSB Visa debit card on Catherine St today. I've handed it into Henry St Garda Station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Salzer

This has been in my mind for a long time. I think it would be great if there was a Lost and Found site online for every area - to begin with in counties or countries, I suppose. How do such ideas go viral? My son's fiancee is visiting us and lost a REALLY special beautiful scarf in the woods (North Co. Wicklow), on Wednesday. Wouldn't it be great to be able to look online if the first thing people thought of doing was to post items they found? They wouldn't have to give all the details and if no one claimed they could keep it with a clear conscience. Of course some people might prefer to keep the item, but many people are decent about that. I had an experience once of losing a necklace with a lot of sentimental value. It was on my way down the Sugarloaf on a busy Sunday. When I couldn't find it, I left a notice on the gate with my mobile number and sure enough someone found it and returned it to me. I've sometimes found nice things in the woods and would be happy to return them if I knew how to do it. Rewards could be given and a lot of people made really happy - we all hate to lose things, even a favourite earring, and it wouldn't take a minute to stick a photo online, many things, like stolen discarded handbags, may be of great value to their owners but not to anyone else! It is particularly the case for pets. I think the online forum is developing more in relation to them, but I don't think there is one good comprehensive website for lost and found that people automatically go to. Maybe there could even be a potential living to be made by someone who cleverly developed this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Salzer wrote: »
    This has been in my mind for a long time. I think it would be great if there was a Lost and Found site online for every area - to begin with in counties or countries, I suppose. How do such ideas go viral? My son's fiancee is visiting us and lost a REALLY special beautiful scarf in the woods (North Co. Wicklow), on Wednesday. Wouldn't it be great to be able to look online if the first thing people thought of doing was to post items they found? They wouldn't have to give all the details and if no one claimed they could keep it with a clear conscience. Of course some people might prefer to keep the item, but many people are decent about that. I had an experience once of losing a necklace with a lot of sentimental value. It was on my way down the Sugarloaf on a busy Sunday. When I couldn't find it, I left a notice on the gate with my mobile number and sure enough someone found it and returned it to me. I've sometimes found nice things in the woods and would be happy to return them if I knew how to do it. Rewards could be given and a lot of people made really happy - we all hate to lose things, even a favourite earring, and it wouldn't take a minute to stick a photo online, many things, like stolen discarded handbags, may be of great value to their owners but not to anyone else! It is particularly the case for pets. I think the online forum is developing more in relation to them, but I don't think there is one good comprehensive website for lost and found that people automatically go to. Maybe there could even be a potential living to be made by someone who cleverly developed this idea?
    Isn't there a facebook group with a similar idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Salzer

I facebook that but it only seems to cover dogs. There is also a lost and found online for cameras. All of this has great potential, the problem is how to make it a part of everyday consciousness for everyone - you find or lose something in a particular area, you go straight online and post it, maybe offering a reward if you have lost it, you give an email address and/or mobile number, and I imagine in many cases you will recover it. That just doesn't happen now. Shows how inexperienced I am in that I began with the Wicklow boards but got diverted by this thread - I thought maybe it referred to streets in Dublin, so I end up in Limerick which will certainly not help this particular search. I have often read boards.ie but never joined until now so I didn't know how else to put this out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Salzer wrote: »

An excellent idea. Like Lostbox but not just for the UK, or Lost & Found Pets but not just for pets.

The problem with Lostbox is it doesn't seem to allow specification of area, but Lost & Found Pets does allow this (it allows you to specify county).

So just take the best features of each of those sites and you'd be there.

Advertisement