Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Thank you Dionysus for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

The Waterford schools mentioned offer ACELS approved English course but I don't think they offer teacher training which I presume is what people mean when they equire about CELT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hi, hope someone here maybe able to answer this
    Qualified primary school teaching, 5 years experience
    Qualified EFL teacher as part of my under grad
    Have taught in Asia, Europe and language schools here
    during the summer
    Wondering what my EFL job prospects would be in New Zealand?
    I initially thought about primary teaching there but as the fee's to get accredited over there are so high and I will only be there for about 3 months
    I was wondering what my EFL job prospects would be there?
    Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

Hi there, I am looking to do a part time CELT course as i have a full time job, the only part time courses seem to be in Dublin School of English and also Dorset College. Has anyone been on either of these courses, I would appreciate some feedback ? I am ideally looking for the cheapest option but I also take the quality of the course into consideration. Also if anyone knows of any other part time options in Dublin region please advise?Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snowleapord

Hi there
    I completed a CELTA course in IH Dublin in November..Brilliant course was 1 month and super intensive...v pressurised but well worth it!!
    I know that IH Dublin do part time courses too..so check them out. I hear that it is very difficult doing the course part time...better to get it over and done in 1 month if you're able too. I was lucky I got funding from Fás that paid for most of the course as I was made redundant in May..Hope this helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I received notification about the following event from an English language school that I worked with last year. It is from ACELS, which is the governing body of English language schools in Ireland and which awards the CELT tefl qualification. If anybody is interested in becoming a teacher of English as a foreign language, it would probably be worth your while going to it in the Teachers' Club (Parnell Square, Dublin) on Saturday 6 February 2010:

PS: As somebody who did the CELT, I regularly receive such emails from both the language school I did it in and the school I worked in last year. Most of these emails are notifications of jobs for teachers of English across the world. They were looking for teachers in Santander in Spain two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I hear that it is very difficult doing the course part time...better to get it over and done in 1 month if you're able too.

I posted a query about the part-time versus full-time options at IH in the other recent CELTA thread, no feedback yet.

Do you have anymore info on this, snowleapord? I can do either option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Deadsnott

Hi everyone, just finished reading the 9 pages of this thread (very informative, thanks to everyone!).

I'm hoping to do the 4 week CELT course but it costs the best part of a thousand euros :( so it will be some time before I can get the money together. I was wondering if there was any funding I could get? I went to my local employment services office today but they told me FAS will not fund anything to do with TEFL or the likes. I saw that Goiter posted that he/she got partial funding from FAS. Does anyone have any more info about this or about anywhere else I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Feownah

hey all. thanks for responses also! Anybody have any feedback/stories to tell of their experiences whilst teaching abroad?Recommend any particular countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Hi all

I've been thinking of completing the CELTA course for sometime. Just wondering if anybody completed it in International House London? if so whats their thoughts on it? I presume it's similar to the course offered in IH Dublin?!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭1c1a

does anyone know if you can collect your garda vetting form from the offices in tipp? And if you just rang them and said you needed it asap could you collect it instead of waiting for it to be posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laser750

Thanks very much for all the replies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

1c1a wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can collect your garda vetting form from the offices in tipp? And if you just rang them and said you needed it asap could you collect it instead of waiting for it to be posted?

Don't know myself. I had a few things I wanted clarified when applying for me, phoned and found them to be very helpful. Maybe you could give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

youngblood wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone here maybe able to answer this
    Qualified primary school teaching, 5 years experience
    Qualified EFL teacher as part of my under grad
    Have taught in Asia, Europe and language schools here
    during the summer
    Wondering what my EFL job prospects would be in New Zealand?
    I initially thought about primary teaching there but as the fee's to get accredited over there are so high and I will only be there for about 3 months
    I was wondering what my EFL job prospects would be there?
    Any help appreciated

hi just wondering how you got to do tefl teaching in asia and what the pay was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hey there,
    was about 7 years ago
    Pay wasnt great when you converted it but was a very decent amount in comparison to the local salaries there
    Accomodation and food was covered in my package as was a portion of the flights abroad
    Unfortunately the school is no longer in operation but am sure many schools/companies still offer the same sorta packages
    I applied thought TEFL.com
    It was a life changing experience-
    Go for it-You wont be a millionaire after it but you'll have memories that last a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laser750

Thank you Dionysus for the link
    Hi,
    I checked out the link that Dionysus added and it seems there are alot of courses out there but none in waterford. The majority are in Dublin, Galway and Cork. There are some in Louth i think and Clare and Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Smokey1000

Hi, I'm looking to do TEFL and move away to somewhere warm and cheap, I've heard bad things about I to I, so I'm looking into TEFL International, it's a company with about 30 locations around the world where you go away for a month of intensive courses, I'm looking at the one in Phuket, Thailand, anyone used TEFL international or know anyone who has experience with them? They seem legit.

http://www.teflcourse.net/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

hi just wondering how you got to do tefl teaching in asia and what the pay was like?

what part of asia are you interested in?

I taught in Korea for 18months until july 2008 and I am going back out again on sunday for another 12 months.

My school pays for my flights to korea and also back home after my 12 month stint, they also pay for my accomodation, although I pay gas, elec, phone, internet.

After that I also receive my salary, even with going out nd enjoying myself, I should save around €10grand in the 12 months.

All schools will (should) offer to pay your flights and accomodation plus a one month bonus at the end of the 12 months. salary is dependent on the school plus your experience but I wouldn't work in a private school for less than 2.2 million won per month

Wow, that sounds great, you'd recommend teaching in S. Korea then? What are the people like? What area are you living in?

Smokey1000 wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds great, you'd recommend teaching in S. Korea then? What are the people like? What area are you living in?

yeah I would definitely recommend it. I will be living on a little island just off the south east coast, it's called geoje do. It has quite a small population (for korea) about 200,000 people on the island.

I am going back to my old school, no point risking being somewhere I don't like :)

You do need to have a bachelors degree though. It's a requirement to obtain the visa (E2 visa). You don't need a tefl / celta cert or anything like that though, although if you want to work in the public schools it helps get you about an extra 60 or 70 euro a month in your pay cheque.

If you have any questions about it then feel free to ask me. there is also another poster called livinginkorea and they have quite a lot of knowledge on the subject matter too. you could also read this thread to find out information on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I do have a BA and a masters, so that opens up a lot of option, the school i'm applying to in thailand to do tefl say they can set me up with a job locally afterward.

Thanks, I do have a BA and a masters, so that opens up a lot of option, the school i'm applying to in thailand to do tefl say they can set me up with a job locally afterward.

the ba and masters will bump you up on the payscale for the public school system. if you had a tefl qualification with more than 100hours I think it takes you up to a pay scale of 2.3 million. you will also get a a bonus for teaching in a less populated area (outside seoul or busan)

The pay in thailand isn't so great but the lifestyle would be much more pleasant and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

A MA will get you a university job in Korea but you will need some experience (especially if it isn't related to education). If you have experience then you could be looking at 2.5~3 million won (1,600~1,900 Euro) a month for around 15 hours but that would exclude housing. In and around Seoul you are expected to get your own housing for most universities positions. With public schools and institutes they have to give you housing by law. Housing is standard for universities in the countryside but you will make less money. Vacation time is pretty good, typically 2~4 months a year depending which university you work for. It's typically 2 weeks for institutes and a couple weeks more for public schools dependin a great deal on your boss and the placement or program (EPIK, GEPIK).

I don't want to blow my own trumpet but getting a good university job is what many teachers in Korea dream of. And you can easily see why. A lot of my co-workers or ex co-workers take long trips around Asia, stopping in one place for a month or so. They go back home for a month and then travel for a month. Some study other courses. Many do winter or summer camps which should be extra pay for most universities. Once you get in the door then are flying but you need a MA to have a realistic chance because that's the way the market is going now. I work in a TESOL Department (MA level) for a fairly high university (top 20 in Korea out of 200+) and there are 4 Phds proffessors with the remainder currently doing a Phd. We have about 10 weeks vacation per semester (paid of course) and teach 12 hours a week. If you have a MA these things are possible and with some experience there is no reason why you can't try.

Seriously consider Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

Hi. Im thinking of going abroad to teach tefl aswell. thinking of going september.. still in final year college at moment so if i dont get my dDip this year I would love to travel, work abroad and gain amazing experience for a year..

my qualifications will be a joint honours degree in History & English (hoping to get a 2.1) I also have a tefl qualification through college..

I wasnt considering Korea at the start but Im opened to anywhere.. my only worry though is finding a good school to teach in.. i have heard stories from people that they were placed in less than desirable schools.. so I want to be really careful.

I also want to work somewhere abroad where I can both experience a new culture, gain experience but also make money.. Because bills etc.. and also the cost of doing my postgrad when I come back..

Hi. Im thinking of going abroad to teach tefl aswell. thinking of going september.. still in final year college at moment so if i dont get my dDip this year I would love to travel, work abroad and gain amazing experience for a year..

my qualifications will be a joint honours degree in History & English (hoping to get a 2.1) I also have a tefl qualification through college..

I wasnt considering Korea at the start but Im opened to anywhere.. my only worry though is finding a good school to teach in.. i have heard stories from people that they were placed in less than desirable schools.. so I want to be really careful.

I also want to work somewhere abroad where I can both experience a new culture, gain experience but also make money.. Because bills etc.. and also the cost of doing my postgrad when I come back..

If you have your degree scroll just follow apply to different agencies or schools you see advertised, there is a whole thread on teaching in korea in this forum.

I also posted the process of applying for the visa so that should be no problem for you either.

The only way you are going to find out if the school you are going to is nice, trust worthy and in a good area is to get the contact details of current and previous teachers and ask them all the questions you have to try and gain as much information as possible.

Korea is definitely one of the best places to go if you want to have a good experience and save some money while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

Hi guys, the information has been great, thanks a lot. I just want to clear a few things up.

I'm travelling to Phuket in June with an open ended ticket and I am very interested in TEFL. Are there many opportunities for teaching in Phuket are places near it? I am open to travelling to get work however.

I graduated in May with a 2h1 Commerce degree from UCC. Would this be considered a useful degree to have for teaching?

What would anyone estimate are the % chances of getting a job in Asia with the Commerce degree alone? What sorta chance would I have with the basic TEFL qualification and the Commerce degree? I am aware it is important to be actually a good teacher as well of course: )

P.S Around what months would I have the best opportunities to get a job?

Thanking you..

theglobe wrote: »
    Hi guys, the information has been great, thanks a lot. I just want to clear a few things up.

I'm travelling to Phuket in June with an open ended ticket and I am very interested in TEFL. Are there many opportunities for teaching in Phuket are places near it? I am open to travelling to get work however.

I don't have any information about jobs in thailand, I do know that the pay is quite loq but the living expenses are too. Aparrently some of the bosses can be very difficult to work with and will stiff you on your pay cheque.
    I graduated in May with a 2h1 Commerce degree from UCC. Would this be considered a useful degree to have for teaching?

In korea they don't care what your degree is in, it's only for visa purposes that the degree is a requirement.
    What would anyone estimate are the % chances of getting a job in Asia with the Commerce degree alone? What sorta chance would I have with the basic TEFL qualification and the Commerce degree? I am aware it is important to be actually a good teacher as well of course: )

you will have a great chance of getting a job with only your degree, most hagwons (private schools) in Korea will hire you on that alone, you can always lie on your cv and say you have previous teaching experience etc, however I would recommend you studying up on grammar etc etc Although you will find yourself improving in these areas as time goes on.

The basic TEFL, I'm assuming you mean the 60 hour online one? Is not worth much in terms of a qualification, it will not give you a pay rise in the public school sector but it will imrpove your overall grammatical skills. You really need to be doind at least the 100 hour one, but if possible do the month long celta, it costs about a grand but will allow you to teach throughout Europe and also in Ireland too.

The TEFL/Celta is really not a big deal to have if teaching in Korea, it will get you further ahead in the pecking order than those who don't have one but you should find a job easily in the private sector and also in the public school system (the 100 hour tefl gets you a bonus in your pay cheque in public schools though)
    P.S Around what months would I have the best opportunities to get a job?

Thanking you..

Public schools have their main hiring periods in September and at the end of feb/start of march. To get in for these you really need to be applying in July and December to allow yourself enough time to be accepted and to get your visa sorted.

They do hire throughout the year to cover teachers leaving early etc.

Private schools will hire all year round, it just depends on the school when they last hired a teacher and when their 12 month stint is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

cloneslad wrote: »
    I don't have any information about jobs in thailand, I do know that the pay is quite loq but the living expenses are too. Aparrently some of the bosses can be very difficult to work with and will stiff you on your pay cheque.

In korea they don't care what your degree is in, it's only for visa purposes that the degree is a requirement.

you will have a great chance of getting a job with only your degree, most hagwons (private schools) in Korea will hire you on that alone, you can always lie on your cv and say you have previous teaching experience etc, however I would recommend you studying up on grammar etc etc Although you will find yourself improving in these areas as time goes on.

The basic TEFL, I'm assuming you mean the 60 hour online one? Is not worth much in terms of a qualification, it will not give you a pay rise in the public school sector but it will imrpove your overall grammatical skills. You really need to be doind at least the 100 hour one, but if possible do the month long celta, it costs about a grand but will allow you to teach throughout Europe and also in Ireland too.

The TEFL/Celta is really not a big deal to have if teaching in Korea, it will get you further ahead in the pecking order than those who don't have one but you should find a job easily in the private sector and also in the public school system (the 100 hour tefl gets you a bonus in your pay cheque in public schools though)

Public schools have their main hiring periods in September and at the end of feb/start of march. To get in for these you really need to be applying in July and December to allow yourself enough time to be accepted and to get your visa sorted.

They do hire throughout the year to cover teachers leaving early etc.

Private schools will hire all year round, it just depends on the school when they last hired a teacher and when their 12 month stint is up.

Yeah, just read through my post. My grammar is a little all over the place because I wrote it up in like a minute. I wouldn't make those mistakes normally:)

I'm assuming I would just have to go to Korea and put myself out there... Is it possible to do interviews in Phuket and get a placement for Korea?

Thanks for all the information.

Yeah, just read through my post. My grammar is a little all over the place because I wrote it up in like a minute. I wouldn't make those mistakes normally:) .

I wasn't judging your grammar fromy your post, I don't use perfect grammar on here either, it's just that we stop studying and learning about grammar in primary school.

I never knew there were so many tenses and other grammatical stuffythingy maj-igs.
    I'm assuming I would just have to go to Korea and put myself out there... Is it possible to do interviews in Phuket and get a placement for Korea?

Thanks for all the information.

Most people tend to get hired for their first contract outside of the country and then coming near the end of that they will look for a new job in the country with better pay due to contacts you have made.

If you are going to go over to korea and look for a job, be sure you have your documents all ready to apply for your vsia, they can be found in the teaching in korea thread.

Also if it is your first time teaching in korea you will have to get an interview at the korean embassy and I am not sure if this can be done in japan or if you have to fly home to do it.

• Advertisement

I've just been accepted to a TEFL course in Phuket, Thailand and was talking to a guy in the school who said job oppertunities in Phuket are pretty good.
    Anyone hear anything about this course/school? Haven't paid a deposit yet, just wanna check it out, it seems well certified:
    http://www.teflcourse.net/tefl-courses-locations/thailand/phuket/

Advertisement