Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Went into a bookies today

Options
  • 21-08-2019 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I entered a bookies in a very upmarket part of Dublin with a work colleague today. My god how sad it was. There was a few machines in the corner, a foreign looking lad and an Irish/Western European looking lad. The Irish looking lad was scratching his forehead when he got up there was a chunk of skin missing where he had scratched off. No messing. Neither looked like they were having any fun but their money was as good as anyone’s.
    There were another few loser looking men about the place. Sleazy looking wasters. There was also one or two people with building site clothes on, maybe on lunch. I left and waited outside.

I’m fairly getting on now but it seems all the young lads in work think this is the coolest pastime going. My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

I work with lads on big money who never have a washer who bet as a past time.
    They bum smokes all the time off the other smokers. They look older than the drinkers.

Why is it so fashionable what can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

It's a hobby, must hobbies don't even give u the chance of winning a few euros, chance of an injury alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The worst thing about watching football matches these days is seeing that fat headed wanker Ray Winstone urging desperate people to throw their money down the toilet with his mockney 'oo 'aw ya banter bollocks.

Gambling commercials should have gone the way of booze and fag ads a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Looking down on and judging others still a popular pastime I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hard to read or make sense of.

BDI wrote: »

Comma to think of it, your query is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

adox wrote: »
    Hard to read or make sense of.

It sounds very lower class!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The worst thing about watching football matches these days is seeing that fat headed wanker Ray Winstone urging desperate people to throw their money down the toilet with his mockney 'oo 'aw ya banter bollocks.

Gambling commercials should have gone the way of booze and fag ads a long time ago.

You “cant”!

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It sounds very lower class!

None of the ops business what they choose to do with their cash. "What can be done"seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

'There was also one or two people with building site clothes on'

Ha, look at you, with your fancy pants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I entered a bookies in a very upmarket part of Dublin with a work colleague today. My god how sad it was. There was a few machines in the corner, a foreign looking lad and an Irish/Western European looking lad. The Irish looking lad was scratching his forehead when he got up there was a chunk of skin missing where he had scratched off. No messing. Neither looked like they were having any fun but their money was as good as anyone’s.
    There were another few loser looking men about the place. Sleazy looking wasters. There was also one or two people with building site clothes on, maybe on lunch. I left and waited outside.

I’m fairly getting on now but it seems all the young lads in work think this is the coolest pastime going. My work friend didn’t seem to see the same sight I seen in there.

I work with lads on big money who never have a washer who bet as a past time.
    They bum smokes all the time off the other smokers. They look older than the drinkers.

It's a bookie's not a fashion show. If you want something easy on the eye go to Brown Thomas. Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Sorry you lost your bet today OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Fu#k me lads I was in the bookies today minding my own business and in comes this posh twat looking down his nose at everyone and judging them. Then he went outside and hung around the door like a bad smell judging everyone who passed. What can be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I wouldn't know what they're like op. Ive been barred since I was two.

My dad likes to put on a bet. He doesn't smoke and was never a big drinker. Drinks maybe 4 times a year max and doesn't spend too much on betting.

Anyway when I was two, we were in the shop and he decided he really needed to do this bet so he took me in with him and held me while I was sat up on the counter. I picked up a load of dockets and threw them all over the place.

When the fella who worked there came over to help tidy them up, apparently he pointed at me and said 'youre barred' and I've never gone into one since :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I entered a bookies in a very upmarket part of Dublin with a work colleague today.

In SoCoDo we call them Turf Accountants, thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The smell, will always remember the smell....

Couldn't you have just got a coffee or tea OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Only time I go in the bookies is if am heading for a pint & forgot to bring a pen for the crossword

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Couldn't you have just got a coffee or tea OP?

Do they have free coffee in bookies?
    Fifty cents bet,free coffee,score.

• Advertisement

I remember the girl in charge of the lotto, thankless job, in my old place heard that the bookies across the street did their own take on the lotto and in this one the “pay outs” were smaller but the chances of winning much higher.

She convinced everyone in the syndicate that this would be a better “investment” and went over and picked the numbers and placed the bet.

When she came around the next week looking for the money I asked if we were doing the National lottery or her “bookies” one. Her face dropped and she said she didn’t want to do the bookies one. Said it was an awful, the place was awful, the punters were awful, and it an, altogether, awful experience and we were going back to the “normal” lotto.

No one really cared but this was in a fairly nice part of town but stick a bookies beside a pub and you’re going to get a crowd like that. Awful.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They're fairly dismal places, in fairness to our suspiciously new and prolific OP.

One of the regular posters in Cries of Retail whose name currently escapes me used to work in one. Sounded fcuking horrendous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I frequent the bookies once or at most twice a week for a flutter on the horses , i know before i go in there how much im going to bet and almost never watch the races in the shop. i generally win more than i lose but not by a lot, i wouldn't say i have a problem, its a fairly harmless hobby , certainly less harmful and costly as some other hobby's

I have been in there in everything from a suit to gym gear what ever is convenient to me.

I can only think of a few time ive been in when the same two guys weren't there. Its like they live there , and in the evening there would be a big pile of betting slips (losers) in front of them , no jobs no Mrs no kids rarely see them with drink on them, just betting

weirdly they dont even seem to talk to each other.

It can seem very depressing in there on a quite day but i dont hang around

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've never been in one but i wouldn't mind trying that new thing of betting on a couple lotto numbers for the craic

I remember the girl in charge of the lotto, thankless job, in my old place heard that the bookies across the street did their own take on the lotto and in this one the “pay outs” were smaller but the chances of winning much higher.

She convinced everyone in the syndicate that this would be a better “investment” and went over and picked the numbers and placed the bet.

When she came around the next week looking for the money I asked if we were doing the National lottery or her “bookies” one. Her face dropped and she said she didn’t want to do the bookies one. Said it was an awful, the place was awful, the punters were awful, and it an, altogether, awful experience and we were going back to the “normal” lotto.

No one really cared but this was in a fairly nice part of town but stick a bookies beside a pub and you’re going to get a crowd like that. Awful.

I'd say she was just a tad sensitive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Thinking back now there was a fella who looked abit like a skinny begby from train spotting trying to look hard eyeballing around the place.

Only really noticing him now 8 or so hours after I was in there. Probably still in there.

I'd say she was just a tad sensitive!

She just wasn’t expecting the place to be so “grim”. Most of us have been inside a bookies but maybe they’re just a different breed in certain areas.

This girl was no “shrinking violet” but I think the sight, and smell, of a few of the clientele just took her by surprise.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Huge amount of problem gamblers in this country some who frequent shops and others on their phones , all gambling advertising should be banned as there are many people who can’t resist betting their last tenner or worse again their family’s last tenner...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Before the smoking ban the bookies just smelt of fags,now you get to smell everything and everyone,not pleasant.

• Advertisement

When I reread your post I noticed the question at the end of it.
    All that can done is for you to toughen up.
    It's a bookies not a vegan eco cafe!

Advertisement