Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brush Shiels

• 15-08-2019 6:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭

No, Brush Shiels isn't a strip of plastic glued to the bottom of a brush to stop a build up of grime, it's a hairy, bald bottom of a brush with a build up of grime.

He used to appear regularly, always grossly hungover on The Beatbox with Ian Dempsey back in the early 1990s, having spent the night drinking with some oul **** in Bruxelles.

He would splutter out some **** about who was out drinking with him, usually drug dealers, and would get angry when challenged about the top 10.

I saw him on a bicycle once, cycling through Rathmines. I threw three potatoes at him, I think they were Maris Pipers. All three missed his face, but he was very, very angry, let me tells you. I bought chips from the local chip shop that evening, but even with the extra expense, I never regretted flinging those potatoes at his big angry cycling RTE licence payer funded hungover head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No, Brush Shiels isn't a strip of plastic glued to the bottom of a brush to stop a build up of grime, it's a hairy, bald bottom of a brush with a build up of grime.

He used to appear regularly, always grossly hungover on The Beatbox with Ian Dempsey back in the early 1990s, having spent the night drinking with some oul **** in Bruxelles.

He would splutter out some **** about who was out drinking with him, usually drug dealers, and would get angry when challenged about the top 10.

I saw him on a bicycle once, cycling through Rathmines. I threw three potatoes at him, I think they were Maris Pipers. All three missed his face, but he was very, very angry, let me tells you.

Lay off the booze lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Rock n roll man! Saw him a couple of days ago on telly, a phil lynott tribute programme.
    Didnt know phil n him were in the same band in the early years.
    He's still no oil painting, i can confirm for ya! A belt of a spud might have helped in that department!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I never minded him, it was just that beret he wore. It looked silly on that perfectly globe-shaped head of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I saw Louie Walsh once when I was leaving the pub where the Screen used to be.

I shouted "Louie Walsh!"

He turned in my direction, but I hadn't planned any further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

enricoh wrote: »
    Rock n roll man! Saw him a couple of days ago on telly, a phil lynott tribute programme.
    Didnt know phil n him were in the same band in the early years.
    He's still no oil painting, i can confirm for ya! A belt of a spud might have helped in that department!

I remember so clearly when I wanted to hear Haddaway's "What is love?", this long haired grease monkey was talking about Vibe for Philo.

Is he dead yet? If not, I will happily finish him off. I mean kill him, not give him a hand job. Can you imagine the state of his flute? Like Philomena Lynott, all bush with a mouthy slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, he used to be reeled out as music pundit on RTE throughout the 80s and 90s based on his association with Philo.

Another pundit was BP Fallon. Was Marc Bolan's manager. Probably had more legitimate claim to be a music pundit. He used to refer to people as cats and was very strange looking and very well spoken. Had a show on 2fm I think, once a week where he would interview famous crazy cats from the music industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

He developed as a more virulent strain of the Smiley Bolger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yeah, he used to be reeled out as music pundit on RTE throughout the 80s and 90s based on his association with Philo.

Another pundit was BP Fallon. Was Marc Bolan's manager. Probably had more legitimate claim to be a music pundit. He used to refer to people as cats and was very strange looking and very well spoken. Had a show on 2fm I think, once a week where he would interview famous crazy cats from the music industry.

Also appeared on TOTP with John Lennon and the Plastic Ono band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BF Fallon was Led Zeps tour PR hack for a while so he must know a few stories. Brush was a great guitarist and good value for a rock and roll ancedote in a land with very little rock and roll but plenty of tall tales.

BF Fallon was Led Zeps tour PR hack for a while so he must know a few stories. Brush was a great guitarist and good value for a rock and roll ancedote in a land with very little rock and roll but plenty of tall tales.

I'd say BP"s autobiography would be pretty juicy, alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is he dead or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

I can imagine bp fallon getting dolled up in flares, wig, medallions n a line of sneachta . Strutting around in disco stu of the Simpsons mode!

enricoh wrote: »
    I can imagine bp fallon getting dolled up in flares, wig, medallions n a line of sneachta . Strutting around in disco stu of the Simpsons mode!

Nah, BP was the human embodiment of early glam. If you put his speech to music you'd end up with a nifty T-Rex number. A genuinely cool cat, though. Like a time traveller from the hippest corner if 1974.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Ah the Beatbox
    I seem to remember Smiley Bolger turning up every week, wearing a Lir T-Shirt and spouting about how great this band was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

wasn’t it Smiley Bolger who was on TV every week spouting on about Engine Alley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

thelawman wrote: »
    wasn’t it Smiley Bolger who was on TV every week spouting on about Engine Alley ?

Probably.
    But I remember the Lir T-Shirt too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The minute I saw this thread, I thought Brush had joined all those other rockers who are performing in the Great Gig In The Sky.

I think he was lead guitarist in a band called Sdid Row back in the late '60s - he is supposed to have spotted the talent of a very young Phil Lynott. He also was on TV a good bit on music shows back on the 80s and early 90s.

Brush was part of the first wave of Irish rock music which was in the background behind the dreadful showbands - before Thin Lizzy, The Boomtown Rats and of course U2 propelled Irish rock into the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think he was lead guitarist in a band called Sdid Row back in the late '60s - he is supposed to have spotted the talent of a very young Phil Lynott. He also was on TV a good bit on music shows back on the 80s and early 90s.

He was the bass player, and a damned good one too. Gary Moore was “lead” guitar. Phil Lynott was originally in the band but was, sort of, kicked out but before he left Brush Shiels taught him the bass.

Some of his “Skid Row” stuff is well worth checking out.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He went berserk on Liveline one day saying he was running around the field seeing angels if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

‘Musos’ are always such arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is he dead or wha?

Yeah. Some fella hit him in the head with a rake of spuds as he was cycling through Rathmines. He fell and was run over by the 15A bus. He got decapitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Jesus, he must be getting his old age pension by now!

How old is he anyway...90 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Realtai wrote: »
    Jesus, he must be getting his old age pension by now!

How old is he anyway...90 or something?

He's 73, but seems to have been the same age for the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he used to appear on anything goes back in the day giving guitar lessons alongside anghus mcanally

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Brush was a brilliant frontman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Brush played for a while with Bohemians FC , his brother Mo Shiels played for St Patricks Athletic FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Played a street festival with him in Celbridge two years ago.

Dubs love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I saw him on a bicycle once, cycling through Rathmines. I threw three potatoes at him, I think they were Maris Pipers. All three missed his face, but he was very, very angry, let me tells you. I bought chips from the local chip shop that evening, but even with the extra expense, I never regretted flinging those potatoes at his big angry cycling RTE licence payer funded hungover head.

Maris Piper are probably the best for making chips with. You could've saved 50p

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

jesus guy's you're a bit hard on him, as they say 'your never a prophet in your own country', see him load of times fantastic guitarist, love the way he can turn the ballads into rock songs , spoke to him just after they unveiled the statue of Phil and had the concert in the point he got to sing one song that night, he said they put on the invite 'that he was to come alone' was there that night the whole thing was a farce they should have called it 'the Gary Moore show'cos he got to play all night.Brush deserved more respect that night as he was a life long pal of Phil's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is he dead or wha?

The hell he is, punk!

R-7656191-1446233770-1594.jpeg.jpg

Advertisement