Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rise of Vegetarian/Veganism

Options
  • 04-05-2019 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

From “bloggers” to billboards to PETA giving out to me for drinking milk and “taking babies away from their mothers”... I was in McDonalds earlier tucking into a big mac and a load of nuggets and saw their new ‘veggie happy meal’... When did this rise of veggie/veganism start? Why did it start?

Some people have tried to convince me to go vegetarian, or at least cut down on meat consumption. I haven’t heard a decent argument as to why I should apart from some doomsday videos on youtube..

Am I really a bad boy for eating meat? All sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Am I really a bad boy for eating meat?

;) Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

;) Yup.

Why?

Oh wait, i get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What's wrong with not wanting to eat animals? I don't get why it annoys people so much. I don't eat much red meat or dairy at all, don't miss it or need it.

What's wrong with not wanting to eat animals? I don't get why it annoys people so much. I don't eat much red meat or dairy at all, don't miss it or need it.

The billboard nonsense annoys me.

Imagine Pro-Meat billboards? Vegans would have heart failure.

• Advertisement

Imagine Pro-Meat billboards?

are you really this thick?

are you really this thick?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People who get annoyed about the increasing popularity of vegetarianism/veganism are every bit as tiresome as militant vegans.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

We must go vegan to save the world!

Share this message with five other people or else Greta Thunberg will appear in your room tonight and kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Imagine Pro-Meat billboards? Vegans would have heart failure.

You don't go outside much it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This again? No one is forcing you to give up meat, it's an ad. Might as well complain about Coca Cola trying to entice you to give up tea or something. Eat what you want whether it's meat or a veggie alternative or vegan. Just don't go on about it.

People who get annoyed about the increasing popularity of vegetarianism/veganism are every bit as tiresome as militant vegans.

Apparently there are vegans everywhere going around telling everyone they're a vegan. I'm not sure I've ever even met one. What is very evident on the internet are anti-vegan sentiments and the usual mmmm bacon comments etc.
    No one's going to take your meat from you so you can all relax.

Apparently there are vegans everywhere going around telling everyone they're a vegan. I'm not sure I've ever even met one. What is very evident on the internet are anti-vegan sentiments and the usual mmmm bacon comments etc.

Im not worried about someone taking it from me. I’m not worried about anything really, I’m wondering why its risen in popularity lately? What are the reasons?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not under-estimate the powers of a vegetarian Admin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Im not worried about someone taking it from me. I’m not worried about anything really, I’m wondering why its risen in popularity lately? What are the reasons?

- ethical reasons. More exposure online about what happens in slaughter houses etc

- health studies showing benefits. It's now recognised that you don't need meat or dairy to live a healthy lifestyle

- climate change reasons.

All of those points can be disagreed upon but they'd be the main pointers that are steering this movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Eating more veg is surely good for the environment

Unless those veg were shipped in from southern Greece, or southern Spain or Holland and Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's amusing to read the farmers on the farming forum complaining about the rise in vegetarians, youd think they were dependent on every human alive eating 3 steaks a day when in reality blaming the few vegetarians for their problems is like blaming a turf fire in connemara on global warming

In truth we would probably all be a lot healthier if we cut down the amount of meat and ate more veg and fruit

Farming a small farm here so I'm all for more money for meat but I don't see a healthy future in the mass production of animals for the slaughter houses

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Eating more veg is surely good for the environment

Unless those veg were shipped in from southern Greece, or southern Spain or Holland and Israel

I wonder if lamb from wicklow (eaten in Dublin) is environmentally worse than avocados from Mexico (eaten in Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

But..But..but I thought you didn't want people going on about it :confused:

The reality is we need food from Spain which is the greenhouse of Europe. They grow things like peppers and tomatoes etc that don't grow too well here. Importing avocados from Mexico and Peru doesn't sit comfortably with me especially when we produce so much food in Europe.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for myself but I find a vegetarian diet to be much healthier, wish I had gone on it years ago.

Good now that lots of food processors and retailers are taking it serious and offering more vegetarian alternatives

archer22 wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself but I find a vegetarian diet to be much healthier, wish I had gone on it years ago.

Good now that lots of food processors and retailers are taking it serious and offering more vegetarian alternatives

Why do you feel its healthier? Would the same meals just with some grilled chicken not be just as healthy, if not more so? I’m genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I recently stopped eating meat; it was partially due to environmental reasons (the amount of inputs required to produce a kilo of meat, all the methane from farts, their effluent, etc).

But the main reason was that, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that raising an animal and killing it to eat its flesh, unless you needed it to survive, just seemed weird. I was never mad about handling raw meat (like when cooking it or whatever), and didn't like seeing whole lambs or rabbits trussed up in butchers' shops; not eating meat was just the logical conclusion of this impulse. Just my 2c.

Why do you feel its healthier? Would the same meals just with some grilled chicken not be just as healthy, if not more so? I’m genuinely curious.

I find any kind of meat diet heavy and hard to digest...also when I was on a meat diet I could not lose excess weight despite doing a lot of fitness training.

Since going vegetarian I have lost all excess fat and am now virtually as lean and fit as I was when I was young.

I have not found any lack of energy on a vegetarian diet, quite the opposite in fact.
    And there is no need to diet as such when vegetarian you can eat as much as you want so no need to go hungry or minimise portions etc.

Just eat when ever you feel like eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder who is paying for all those bill boards that are after appearing around the place promoting vegetarianism. Did they get any handouts from quorn or that impossible hipster crowd over in the States?

archer22 wrote: »
    I find any kind of meat diet heavy and hard to digest...also when I was on a meat diet I could not lose excess weight despite doing a lot of fitness training.

Since going vegetarian I have lost all excess fat and am now virtually as lean and fit as I was when I was young.

I have not found any lack of energy on a vegetarian diet, quite the opposite in fact.
    And there is no need to diet as such when vegetarian you can eat as much as you want so no need to go hungry or minimise portions etc.

Just eat when ever you feel like eating.

Well you can't just sit around eating onion rings and chips all day and not get fat. You're clearly eating only healthy vegetarian stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I became vegetarian 27 years ago because I didn't want to eat animals. I have a severe lactose intolerance so I don't eat dairy. I rarely eat eggs so I'm more or less vegan now. I've no problem with people eating meat and cook meat for family and friends. I've no interest in converting anyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Personally, I can't ever see myself taking up a vegetarian diet. Love me some meat with my dinners.

Recently my wife and I attempted to experiment in the home with eating healthier and found the cost much more prohibitive, exorbitant even.

My feelings is that if we are expected to attempt to eat healthier then make it cheaper than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Out of interest Necro, what products were they basically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am veggie ..i eat vegan sometimes. My mom went veggie when i was twelve ..so i did ...she went back to eat fish ..i stayed veggie...my bro is veggie too.

I will cook meat for friends though etc. I do my best as a veggie to cook steak/fish for a mate etc.

I respect people's choices.

Advertisement