Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damien "The Rage" Rooney Signs deal with Cage Contender

• 15-05-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Any views on this?
    It has today been announced that top leading Irish Bantamweight MMA fighter, Damien ‘The Rage‘ Rooney (MMA (8-2-1)/CC 2-1-1) has just signed an exclusive deal with top Irish MMA promotion Cage Contender. The popular Newry man fights out of (Fight Academy Ireland) but has also trained with the HIT Squid (America) and a number of times in Thailand. Damien’s last fought for Cage Contender was back in April (2011) were he knocked out Mark Conner in the very first round. This is what Damien had to say about his exclusive deal with Cage Contender.

“Cage Contender is arguably the top promotion in the country at the moment and I’ve fought for them 4 times before and they have always been good to me. So when John came to me with the offer and told me what his plans were I was more then happy to go ahead with it. I’m just back in the gym training hard and looking forward to my next fight being announced“

We also caught up with the creator of Cage Contender, John Ferguson to talk about this exclusive deal.

“This is the first time we have signed a fighter exclusivly to the promotion, and to be fair we couldn’t have chosen a better guy to do it with than Damo. He has always been a total pro in any dealings we have had. He has fought on the promotion a number of times and he and his management realise that at this stage of his career its important that he is fighting on televised shows to get maximum exposure.“

http://fighthounds.com/mma/the-rage-signs-exclusive-deal-with-cage-contender/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

He seems willing to fight the best but it's now in Cage contenders interest that he wins

Is that good?

And obviously the promoter will come on and say it does not matter if he wins but thats just bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

He seems willing to fight the best but it's now in Cage contenders interest that he wins
    How?
    Is that good?
    Is what good?
    And obviously the promoter will come on and say it does not matter if he wins but thats just bull.
    How do you work that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

I think it was only a matter of time before this happened.
    In my opinion its a good thing for Damien and the Cage Contender team. The only draw back would be if Damien was given a shot on one of Europes biggest shows and had to turn it down.
    How it turns out in the long run for the rest of Irish MMA remains to be seen. It has good points and bad points. Will be interesting to see if anyone else gets signed up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Does it mean he can only fight for the one promotion now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

_oveless wrote: »
    Does it mean he can only fight for the one promotion now?
    Yup it does. Will be interesting to see who else gets signed up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

If he can only fight on one promotion, doesn't that severely limit his potential as a professional fighter?

_oveless wrote: »
    If he can only fight on one promotion, doesn't that severely limit his potential as a professional fighter?
    His own choice to sign also I presume that there'd be a clause about ufc/bellator/strikeforce coming for him. Plus CC has alot of exposure for an irish show.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Think this is a good thing as Damien is an established fighter and always getting praise on the European Fight Network. Top europeans will want to fight him and this will bring better fighters to CC.

Yup it does. Will be interesting to see who else gets signed up

Question answered :)HERE

Do you have a set number of fighters you want signed to the promotion John or are you just playing it by ear?

• Advertisement

Do you have a set number of fighters you want signed to the promotion John or are you just playing it by ear?

At this stage Ray we have a few targets, thats about it

It'll be interesting to find out who gets signed up alright, probably can think of one or two who you'd be interested in, shall look forward to more announcements so

It'll be interesting to find out who gets signed up alright, probably can think of one or two who you'd be interested in, shall look forward to more announcements so

HERE you are Ray, something a bit closer to home :)

HERE you are Ray, something a bit closer to home :)
    Honestly didn't expect himself, nice one for him!

Honestly didn't expect himself, nice one for him!

Lol you know me Ray!! Its best to expect the the unexpected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Great stuff. Delighted for Paddy. He's a fantastic prospect and an electrifying fighter to watch.

Is that good?

After this bull**** statement (only one of many from u) what is your reaction to the fact that Damien will be fighting Paddy Holohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

As I don't want to disagree with cowzerp I still feel that John it is great that u can come on here and state ur facts as a owner it's refreshing and why I like cc.

Good for you

cowzerp wrote: »
    John as a father of a child with special needs I find your statement insulting, this sort of talk is out of order, please have some respect for others when trying to put people down.

This sort of writing is posted on here way too often and needs to stop.

Post has been edited Paul. No offence intended. And I'm sure all of those on this forum who have used the expression in relation the same user didn't mean any offence either.

Yes Paul I prob have used that term or a term equal to it and must appologise no offence is intended on my and I'm sure anyone's behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thanks lads, i know I'm been sensitive but I hope you get where I'm coming from, good night and that will be a great fight..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I'm unsure of Ireland's elite fighters signing exclusive deals with specific promotions.

Do you think the promotions in Ireland will be able to bring the elite European competition to Ireland or will promotions have to stage events on the UK mainland or elsewhere in Europe to make these fights happen?

I sure if something came along promotors would work together to get what's best for both brands. It's not like they are signing number 1 guys it's guys who's next few fights will be uk ranking related. It's after say Rooney signs after this one expires we might be talking like this. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Odd decision by Rooney - seems like he's just limiting himself to 1 promotion - what's the benefit for him? I can't think of one. What if another promoter wants him to fight abroad for more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

its almost like he thought about it, weighed up the pros and cons and figured it was his best option so went for it...crazy

its almost like he thought about it, weighed up the pros and cons and figured it was his best option so went for it...crazy

Can you name one benefit for Rooney about the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

obviously i have several reasons...i signed paddy holohan to the same promotion!
    as for having a chat about why with an anonymous poster on a public forum about it, i'll pass :)

obviously i have several reasons...i signed paddy holohan to the same promotion!
    as for having a chat about why with an anonymous poster on a public forum about it, i'll pass :)

Why did you bother replying if you've nothing to say?

I can't think of 1 benefit. If CC wants to pay him to fight, they can do that with our without an exclusive contract. All the contract does is limit him to 1 regional promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

* BTW. I don't follow the Irish MMA scene - I was hoping this magazine would help me start, but it doesn't.

- Forest Master, 25.05.11

• Advertisement

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    - Forest Master, 25.05.11
    How is that relevant? I don't follow Irish MMA, so that magically means I know nothing about the benefits & drawbacks of exclusive contracts? :/
    Cant see how you're making any connection there. Nice try at PWNing me though. Pity it fell so flat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement