Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a DRUNKEN SLEEP a coma-esque one?

• 30-07-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Some people say sleeping whil(st) drunk is similar to being in a coma, and not of much use, thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's drug induced. If you drank too much, alcohol could result in a coma. Toxic poisoning?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Your brain might be more relaxed/dumbed-down while drunk and might lead to dreamless sleep and the exhaustion that you mightnt have noticed during the drinking would catch up, hit and keep you sleeping that dreamless sleep until, let say, 1 in the afternoon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

A natural sleep would refresh the mind aswell as giving the body the rest it needs. I've had to use sedatives in the past for sleeping problems, and found I didn't have the same quality of sleep. Similarly, after a few the night before - I'd have to crash into bed again by the afternoon. :/

So yes, I do believe that sleep after drink / drugs will give only a comatose quality of sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Generally, alcohol makes you initially more sleepy, but you sleep less deeply, and spend much less time in the deeper stages of sleep. it's not how we naturally sleep, so it's obviously not as good.

Have a look around at some psychology resources to get a more detailed description, but thats the gist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

Why was this thread chosen as thread of teh day? is it randomly picked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

I dunno but the paris hilton topless one yesterday was quite funny =P

-Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

HDX wrote:
    Some people say sleeping whil(st) drunk is similar to being in a coma, and not of much use, thoughts?

Alcohol in the bloodstream disrupts the second half of a person's sleep cycle, The second is known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, a less restful state associated with dreaming.Not a good thing at all.
    but hey it beats tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Heavy alcohol consumption is frequently associated with disturbances of sleep. At intoxicating blood-alcohol levels and especially when the blood-alcohol levels are declining, sedation and sleepiness may be observed. Alcohol intoxication induces an increase in non-rapid eye movement sleep (NREM), whereas rapid eye movement (REM) sleep density decreases. Subsequently, there is an increase in wakefulness, restless sleep, nightmares or other vivid dreams related to a reduction in non-rapid eye movement sleep and a rebound in rapid eye movement sleep density. Frequently during alcohol withdrawal, sleep is discontinuous and fragmented with an increase in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. After withdrawal, individuals may complain of sleep difficulties and frequently experience superficial fragmented sleep for a significant period of time, sometimes for months or years at a time.

Alcohol induced sleep disorders can be distinguished from primary sleep disorders in that the onset of drinking precedes the sleep disturbance and by remission of the symptoms during the course of sustained abstinence. Alcohol induced sleep disorders can occur during the course of a typical alcohol intoxication or withdrawal episode. Duration and severity of the sleep disturbances however may exceed those typically observed during these conditions. Because of the fact that protracted alcohol induced symptoms are frequent among alcoholics, onset of alcohol induced sleep disorder may occur up to four weeks after initiation of alcohol abstinence. However, a history of previous primary sleep disorder and/or persistence of sleep disturbances for more than four weeks following intoxication or acute withdrawal are highly suggestive of a primary sleep disorder. Proper diagnosis is frequently complicated by the fact that heavy alcohol consumption can co-occur and increase other mental disorders that present with sleep disturbances. Drinking alcohol can also intensify other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or breathing related sleep disorders.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

After withdrawal, individuals may complain of sleep difficulties and frequently experience superficial fragmented sleep for a significant period of time, sometimes for months or years at a time.
    Months or years? That's some hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Alcoholics get serious hang overs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I read an interview with Anthony Hopkins who described his time as an alcoholic as "passing out every night and coming to every morning" I thought it was hilarious and true

If you take Xanax is that a coma? I've had the best sleep ever after that stuff

Advertisement