Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I bought the Samsung LE40530 back in January and it had the Saorview logo on the box as being either approved or ready - can't remember which it was, but I've tried to tune in the digital channels and it isn't working. There is the option of tuning it as Digital and Analogue or just Digital and it doesn't work either way. I've checked on the website and the LE40530 isn't on their list of approved TV's which makes no sense seeing as it's far more modern and expensive than most of the TVs that are and also the fact that the box had the Saorview logo on it. It seems bizziare that it doesn't work - im thnking of getting an indoor aerial to see if that is where the problem lies. Any suggestions? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

If you're already using the correct outdoor antenna then an indoor one will not improve matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

SB-08 wrote: »
    I bought the Samsung LE40530 back in January and it had the Saorview logo on the box as being either approved or ready - can't remember which it was, but I've tried to tune in the digital channels and it isn't working. There is the option of tuning it as Digital and Analogue or just Digital and it doesn't work either way. I've checked on the website and the LE40530 isn't on their list of approved TV's which makes no sense seeing as it's far more modern and expensive than most of the TVs that are and also the fact that the box had the Saorview logo on it. It seems bizziare that it doesn't work - im thnking of getting an indoor aerial to see if that is where the problem lies. Any suggestions? Cheers.

Is the model no. LE40C530? If so it should have no problem receiving the digital channels as it has an MPEG-4 decoder.

What type of aerial do you have attached to the TV at the moment? Does it find the 4 analogue channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://www.renediscountstore.co.uk/a01jq-portable-9-dvb-tanalogue-tv-and-digital-photo-frame-46-p.asp

DTV system:
    Input frequency: VHF 177.5 MHz - 226.5 MHz
    UHF 474 MHz - 858 MHz
    Modulate: QPSK/16-QAM/64-QAM
    Decode standard: MPEG-2: MP@ML, MPEG-4: SP&ASP
    Audio decode standard: MPEG1: LAYER I/II/III, MPEG-2: LAYER I/II

Forgive my ignorance but will this TV pick up Saorview?

eddiem10 wrote: »
    http://www.renediscountstore.co.uk/a01jq-portable-9-dvb-tanalogue-tv-and-digital-photo-frame-46-p.asp

DTV system:
    Input frequency: VHF 177.5 MHz - 226.5 MHz
    UHF 474 MHz - 858 MHz
    Modulate: QPSK/16-QAM/64-QAM
    Decode standard: MPEG-2: MP@ML, MPEG-4: SP&ASP
    Audio decode standard: MPEG1: LAYER I/II/III, MPEG-2: LAYER I/II

Forgive my ignorance but will this TV pick up Saorview?

Don't think so. The MPEG-4 listed I believe refers to Divx playback.

The Irish DTT standard requires MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) HP@L4.0, if this is in the spec it will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Also Freeview HD is a big selling point. If it does not say HD in the ad, you can assume it is MPEG-2 & not compatible with Irish dtt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Crystalset wrote: »
    Also Freeview HD is a big selling point. If it does not say HD in the ad, you can assume it is MPEG-2 & not compatible with Irish dtt.

Best not to assume anything, as some sets, e.g. LG LD450 are standard Freeview with MPEG-4 / MHEG5 and deliver Saorview seamlessly.

Boards search function is a great resource if researching a particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Thanks for the info. Your advice is wiser than mine. Tho' maybe I was erring on the side of caution?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Older model this, but just stuck an amplified internal antenna into my LG 32LG2100 and it's working perfectly for Saorview (mpeg4 and mheg5 for text)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Sorry if its been asked before but I've seen a few decent offers on Sony 46EX503. Has anyone here got one and are these Saorview compatible?

• Advertisement

donnacha wrote: »
    Sorry if its been asked before but I've seen a few decent offers on Sony 46EX503. Has anyone here got one and are these Saorview compatible?

The 503 is MPEG-4 (DVB-T2) and so should have no problem with receiving the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi,

Should a rabbits ears type aerial like this http://www.oneforall.co.uk/product/index/id/44/title/sv-9365/cat_id/2/type/antennas/sub_id/5/sub_title/ work for picking up saorview in Dublin?

Got a new tv this evening with saorview built-in and can actually pick up all the channels without an aerial though a bit choppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Can anyone recommend a Handheld TV that is capable of receiving Saorview please?..... If such a thing exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Handheld TV that is capable of receiving Saorview please?..... If such a thing exists!

The ultimate >>>> http://www.kakatech.com/mpeg4-dvb-t-tv-wifi-mobile-phone-k009/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

Sorry if this question has been asked before.
    Is the Panasonic TX-L32E30B ok for Saorview and Teletext on RTE2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Got a new IDTV in the living room after the current one went kapunt! Toshiba 32RV753 - supposedly Freeview HD approved. Saorview channels appear no problem up in the 800s initially (if receiver set to UK, might be different if set to Ireland) but they can be renumbered. MHEG5 Aertel works fine, as does WST teletext on TG4. Doesn't seem to have any problems coping with summer time (clock keeps the same time as UK channels) and all EPG details are listed. Not tried subtitles yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mogsie123

right i am back with a saorview 19"tevion portable tv bought today in aldi. the problem is now that it is not picking up the digital signal. i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

mogsie123 wrote: »
    right i am back with a saorview 19"tevion portable tv bought today in aldi. the problem is now that it is not picking up the digital signal. i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

Assuming it has a digital tuner is there a separtate digital tuning section within the menu? Does it find the analogue channels? To view the digital channels or analogue channels do you have to select digital or analogue on the R/C?

ya you can choose digital or analogue seperately on the r/c. its picking up the analogue channels but they are poor. sorry about the delay in replying was out for a while.

ya you can choose digital or analogue seperately on the r/c. its picking up the analogue channels but they are poor. sorry about the delay in replying was out for a while.

Are you using an internal or external aerial? What is your approx location?

• Advertisement

my aerial is in the attic and i am in waterford city. i believe i am getting the signal from mouny leinster in carlow

Manually scan on the DVB-T tuner. This will allow you to pick the Ch Number - it will be the same Frequency/Channel No as the walker.

What does it say on the Walker - 666MHZ or Ch45 ???

Perhaps you would be receiving Mt Leinster, but its more likely to be Suir Valley on Ch52 or the infill transmitter at Rathfadden on Ch 22.

When you manually scan those DVB-T channels 45, 52 and 22 you should see a signal meter on screen that will show which is the strongest.

Have you tried the Walker TV in that room that is not working ? That will eliminate problems with the cable/cable connections run to that room.

ya the walker one is 666mhz and ch 45. i have not yet tried the walker in the kitchen as i thought that the tevion would pick up the signal in the sun room regardless. i will try doing it manually but i am not great at this stuff so the whole lot could go out the window soon.

ya the walker one is 666mhz and ch 45. i have not yet tried the walker in the kitchen as i thought that the tevion would pick up the signal in the sun room regardless. i will try doing it manually but i am not great at this stuff so the whole lot could go out the window soon.

Okay. Think about it. If the Walker is working in the house somewhere and the Tevion is not working elsewhere in the house the problem is the likely to be the aerial connection in the Sunroom!

If you try the Walker in the sunroom and it isnt working, then you know its the cabling or loose connectors in the sun room. So you dont want to drag the Walker into the sunroom. lets do it another way.

Process of elimination. Bring the Tevion in the room where the Walker is working. If it works there then you know the problem is in the sunroom!
    (by the way tell me something - who is doing the aftersales support for these Tevions - it should give a website/no on the short manual that you got with it - I want to see who makes them)

STB wrote: »
    Process of elimination. Bring the Tevion in the room where the Walker is working. If it works there then you know the problem is in the sunroom!

He tried that already, see his first post
    i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

ya the walker is working fine in tyhe sun room but the tevion is not getting any signal when i bring it in there. i have since brought the walker into the kitchen (where the tevion was not working either) andstarted a first time installation and although it has not finished yet it seems to be picking up channels.

might it be that the tevion is not saorview compatable even though it says saorview on the box

ya the walker is working fine in tyhe sun room but the tevion is not getting any signal when i bring it in there. i have since brought the walker into the kitchen (where the tevion was not working either) andstarted a first time installation and although it has not finished yet it seems to be picking up channels.

might it be that the tevion is not saorview compatable even though it says saorview on the box

Right. On the Tevion manual does it say a model number or who is doing the support - just post that and I can find out if it is or isnt. I presume they wouldnt claim Saorview comliance if it wasnt.

Its a simple step thats missing.

Is there a manual scan on the Tevion dor dvb-t/digital tuner - that shows a few green lines when on Ch 45 ?

@mogsie123 - for the Waterford relay you will require a Group A (red tip) or wideband (black tip) aerial, with the aerial orientated vertically.

now i am totally confused. what is a red and black tip aerial. all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky

• Advertisement

model number 185-28j-gb-hcu-roi. and at the risk of sounding like a smaart ass it shows sweet f all on ch 45.

Advertisement