Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2019, 12:45   #1171
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
Personally I can’t understand how folk can watch loads of soccer matches that they have no emotional investment in. I understand that folk want to root for their team and are highly invested in it, and that in itself is a form of entertainment, but how do people sit down and watch the likes of Burnley v West Ham or Huddersfield v Southampton.

Every now and again there are games which do entertain, the CL semi-finals for example, but 9 out of 10 soccer games on TV are incredibly boring.

To me, the emperor has no clothes.
An Irish top six premier league fan would not watch these games unless he has money on it as an accumulator /has players in the game from his/her fantasy football team.
They only care about the top of the table stuff.
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 12:46   #1172
FitzShane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
An Irish top six premier league fan would not watch these games unless he has money on it as an accumulator /has players in the game from his/her fantasy football team.
I do.
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 12:49   #1173
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
I've never been in a pub for FA Cup final day but I have seen people over here give out yards on Facebook. ''Why are they playing that f*cking anthem, horrible''. Well pal, Manchester is in England and that's the anthem they use. It's the English cup final... their final, not yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
You sound quite bitter and would probably make a good Everton fan
What exactly sounds ''bitter'' in the post you quoted? Honestly baffled by that.
05-06-2019, 12:49   #1174
thegetawaycar

I think this thread just goes in circles.

The reason Irish people follow foreign teams are numerous. For some it's been passed down from family, for some it was to fit in with friends but mostly it's because football in Ireland is seen as a TV program. It's to be watched on TV with the odd trip to watch it live (same goes for a lot of GAA supporters going to championship games only).

Most people will tell you it's due to the quality on show, the same people will tell you they didn't care how Liverpool played or the standard of the final but just that they won the Champions League. People want to be associated with successful brands and teams in England are some of the most successful in the world.

League of Ireland clubs need to focus on getting the passing punter through the door and not an us versus them mentality, Bohs are seeing good return on building links in the community and getting football fans (ones that are used to actually going to live sports) who are visiting Dublin to games. I believe Rovers are doing a deal that anyone on a Ryanair flight can buy a cheap ticket. This isn't a coincidence. In Ireland we don't have a large number of people that are used to going to watch sporting events live week in week out while our participant numbers are high by population.
(3) thanks from:
05-06-2019, 12:52   #1175
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
says who?
Says Irish society, and the unwritten football supporter rules.

Plus Rcihie Sadlier wrote a great piece how he picked Rangers as his team as a young lad because he liked Ally McCoist.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-26726387.html

That was frowned upon as well, even though both Rangers and Celtic are British teams! Both of them pay taxes (even Rangers now ) to HM revenue and customs.

It is the same type of thing, there are crazy unwritten rules and mental gymnastics, when it comes to the Irish football supporter of British teams.

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 05-06-2019 at 13:20.
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 12:54   #1176
Allinall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzShane View Post
I do.
As do I. Regularly.

This idea of unwritten rules is nonsense.
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 12:55   #1177

Did you see that ludicrous display last night ?

Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 12:56   #1178
The Moldy Gowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
I used to do that if I had nothing else to do on a Saturday or Sunday.
Could pick any game I wanted to watch. Even some Italian or Spanish games if I felt cultured.

Don't really do it anymore because I get my fix of football on Friday.
Sure they were better games than a bohs game but genuinely can't beat being there.

The GAA had a great campaign last year or the year before with that being the message.
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 13:03   #1179
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegetawaycar View Post
I think this thread just goes in circles.

The reason Irish people follow foreign teams are numerous. For some it's been passed down from family, for some it was to fit in with friends but mostly it's because football in Ireland is seen as a TV program. It's to be watched on TV with the odd trip to watch it live (same goes for a lot of GAA supporters going to championship games only).

Most people will tell you it's due to the quality on show, the same people will tell you they didn't care how Liverpool played or the standard of the final but just that they won the Champions League. People want to be associated with successful brands and teams in England are some of the most successful in the world.

League of Ireland clubs need to focus on getting the passing punter through the door and not an us versus them mentality, Bohs are seeing good return on building links in the community and getting football fans (ones that are used to actually going to live sports) who are visiting Dublin to games. I believe Rovers are doing a deal that anyone on a Ryanair flight can buy a cheap ticket. This isn't a coincidence. In Ireland we don't have a large number of people that are used to going to watch sporting events live week in week out while our participant numbers are high by population.

I think most of what you've said there is fair. It's the glitz, the glamour of it all, basically it's the absolutely superb marketing job that the English clubs have done since the 90s compounded by the fact our national association has been a joke since the 60s/70s.

The bit that really gets me is Ireland could have that, maybe not to the same extent but look at the SPL, I watch a good bit of that and the standard of play outside of Celtic there is really no better if not worse than the LOI but there's a tonne more money there than there is here because Scottish people actually attend their domestic matches in huge numbers, despite being a hell of a lot easier for them to get to a EPL game compared to here.

Its a seriously bad cycle of issues compounding each other and its uniquely Irish that most of the population actually just couldn't care less about it and would rather slag the people trying to fix the issues than help them.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 13:16   #1180
RobMc59

Quote:
What exactly sounds ''bitter'' in the post you quoted? Honestly baffled by that.
Nothing-I was joking and meant no offense.
05-06-2019, 13:29   #1181
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
You sound quite bitter and would probably make a good Everton fan
Quote:
He was playing on the phrase used by others to describe Everton fans, especially used by Liverpool fans.

Everton have also appropriated the term to describe themselves -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Everton/com..._bitter_blues/

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 05-06-2019 at 14:05.
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 14:12   #1182
gormdubhgorm

Here is an interesting article mapping the Premier league local support from 2017 - based on google trends searches.

It only does the UK so ROI is not included unfortunately.
But it is interesting nonetheless.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...teams-support/
Thanks from:
05-06-2019, 14:28   #1183
gormdubhgorm

Here is a man united forum which discusses thier honest feelings about local fans v foreign fans of the club

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/local...pporters.3380/

I found another article where a Liverpool FC 'club liaison officer' is trying to give the message that all LFC fans -

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/1...-klopp-is-key/

The Liaison officer says -

'Anyone who commits themselves to supporting Liverpool, in whatever way that may be, is worthy of the utmost respect.'

I assume that is code for we will take your money from wherever you or from no matter how you support the club.

'There are supporters who don’t buy anything, which is fair enough, and there are supporters who buy everything but don’t go to the match.

“So how do you classify these people and how do you treat them differently?

“People have an affection for Liverpool and they want to support them in whatever way that may be. That guarantees them a level of instant respect from me.'

But on this LFC forum on Reddit there is a key phrase for me that jumps out-

'Who's trying too hard to be a scouser?'

(Written by a Norwegian LFC fan!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC...gs_on_foreign/
05-06-2019, 17:12   #1184
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
People are allowed disagree with you.
What is the disagreement though?
05-06-2019, 17:27   #1185
Bonniedog

Remember when Des Cahill used to bore us all to death with tales of his "beloved Reading"!

I knew chap who was a Halifax supporter, from having spent summers over there with one of his aunts in the 70s. I can appreciate that sort of thing!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion