Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2019, 21:36   #571

The same reason so many spent today celebrating Commonwealth Day.
Happy Commonwealth Day to all !

(Its only a patch on Empire Day though, if you ask me. At least Ireland was properly part of that. And arguably, still is).
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 21:55   #572
Annd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
[/B]

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but do you have a lot to be worried about?
Yes plenty , care to lend a friendly ear ?
11-03-2019, 23:51   #573
bit of a bogey

Everyone has their own personal reasons I'm sure but heres my own personal experience on why i support a foreign team.

I first got into football at the launch of the premier league. Lots of money, lots of glamour and building publicity. These guys had flare and fame and it was understandable why any young impressionable lad would be interested. There was premier league stickers, full length tv programs doing the build up on saturday mornings and match of the day. Overall it was a very attractive product that was talked about on the playground. Most of my friends followed man utd so i assume i naturally tried to fit in and also followed man united. There was never any talk of league of ireland.

The irish soccer team also had unfounded success in the early 90's and everyone got behind them. These were national idols who played in the premier league. Keane and Irwin being just two of mine.

I was also interested in most sports. Gaelic football in particular. I was reguarly brought to club and Dublin GAA games which naturally kept my interest but i was interested and attracted by all sports.

Then as i got older i realized i did not nessecarily have any affinity to manchester united. I wasnt from manchester and didnt feel the same connection as i did to dublin gaa. My support then faded towards man utd and although i still enjoyed the product, i would have no longer considered myself a supporter by the age of 12. If anything i now always supported the underdog as united were ao dominant!

Soon after that time i remember the bohs and roddy collins hype starting to build and i got behind that train. I remember asking my father to bring me to those games and i really enjoyed it. Some great memories especially when bohs were going do so well.

I do however remember when i started getting old enough to go the games on my own or with a friend. The bohs hardcore fan base was loud and energetic so i wanted to get closer but over time i also started thinking maybe this isint for me. I found the abuse and hatred shared between some opposing fans was odd and didnt represent me. "Northside till i die", "i fcking hate rovers" and others seemed out of place in the sport i was used to. Some of it seemed really heated, over the top and verging on thuggery. I wasnt even from the northside! I was used to the GAA where we shared heated banter but where my family would mix in the bars and clubs after. There was no real hatred and we were all one people. Something which i was more comfortable with and being from a fairly nationalist sporting household, i could identify with more.

Maybe if i had been brought to a pats game i would have stayed more interested but pats werent exactly nearby my home either! I had never heard of anyone supporting pats so it would have even been a bit odd and out of the blue if i requested my dad to take me there.

Then when i was also very young i also supported celtic. Probably the same reason as why i supported united. Plenty of glamour and publicity and most of my friends supported them. I had been brought to a game or two in my teens when i was impressionable but it really made an impact. This was a club built by irish immigrants and where they still fly a tri-colour over the stadium. I thought this was fairly remarkable and where i had family members who had immigrated to all over the world this really struck a cord. I remember the people were incredible over there. All of irish decent and so friendly and welcoming. I had never experienced this at a soccer game. Even most of the songs sung represented a connection to me.

Most of my friends still follow united. I dont but i still really enjoy the product and am kept engaged through the amount of air time it gets on both tv and conversation amongst my friends.

I still feel a connection to celtic which is stronger to what i feel to any irish club. Its a pity but maybe if i had different role models influencing me or if there was a club located closer to me, then i might have stayed engaged to domestic football.
Thanks from:
12-03-2019, 09:23   #574
howiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
Lots of fans including myself do not have an local team
I think finical gain if all locals went supported there local teams would not be a big as you think , In Dublin you have 6 teams In the top two division's

Place like Bray have 32 thousand people in all living there ,Athlone 21 thousand that people in total ,

There isn't the numbers of people to make these clubs big
Fair enough you don't have a local team. I don't care who you support. I'm just pointing out that the LOI fans you think are offended over the difference in standard are actually offended because they feel with greater financial support their team could be better.

I'm not talking about clubs becoming as big as clubs in the EPL but a couple of hundred extra regular supporters at the clubs you've mentioned would make a significant difference to their budget. It's all relative.
Thanks from:
12-03-2019, 10:16   #575
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annd9 View Post
That's all well and good if you see football as pure entertainment , just like going to the cinema . Reality is far different though , sport in general brings on emotions totally different to any other form of "entertainment" .

Loi fans get offended when people wonder why our national team is not doing well , when people get up in arms over some youngfella deciding to play for his OWN country , when you are asked who you really support ? , when foreign football fans get bemused at all the English club jerseys on our streets .

I could go for hours but in my opinion it's a loosing battle , supporting Loi is hard work a lot of the time and most Irish people are simply not motivated or passionate enough to stick in there .

Look at crowds for run of the mill league games in the Gaa or Pro 14 , not great by any standard and some of these players are the best in the world at their sports so obviously standard doesn't come into it .

This is all fine btw , we love a bandwagon . It's when the "Best fans in the world " tripe comes out(specifically the national team ) that i and a lot of Loi fans get pretty pi**ed off .

Its not a case of fans not being passionate or motivated , fans pay a fortune to go watch there teams in England and Europe a few times a year because they are passionate

LOI just have to get over the fact that a lot of people aren't interested and prefer to support other teams,

Are you trying to say LOI have more affinity to the national team ? How ? The vast majority of players who play on our national team play in England ,

What point are you trying to make ?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2019, 18:06   #576
Ardillaun

I supported Man U when I lived in the city and in their days of adversity, but tired of their success and Fergie in particular and eventually recovered from my problem. Nowadays, I enjoy attacking soccer whoever plays it. I often have to watch a match for a while to figure out who I am cheering for on the day. They're all foreigners anyway, temporarily working for teams owned by dodgy oligarchs so it's silly to get too attached to them. Liverpool and Man City are finally providing entertainment at the level of the top European teams so I often root for them.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 18-03-2019 at 18:19.
Thanks from:
18-03-2019, 19:10   #577
Laois_Man

I didn't support an English club coz a family member did - the complete opposite. My much older brother supports Liverpool....I hated them all because of him...because it was Liverpool this, Liverpool that...bla bla bla....all day every day....so I wanted them to lose....so I went looking for the club that was nearest to causing them to lose, which at the time was Everton.....and I supported them....and it stuck. I didn't even know at first that they were Liverpool's local rivals, I was just happy when they won the league coz it meant Liverpool didn't!

The nearest club to me growing up was the now defunct Kilkenny City - but as someone who grew up with a father as a former Laois county player and then county team selector, I had the GAA mentality ingrained in me and I would never in a million years have supported any team called Kilkenny - even though I liked soccer. I played for my local soccer team, but there was nobody at a decent level to be a supporter of.
(2) thanks from:
06-05-2019, 04:36   #578
Ardillaun

Getting worked up about any sports team is a little silly but by one in a foreign country is foolishness personified - and the UK is a foreign country. I know Man U fanatics who are keen on UI. Perhaps it’s something in the name?

Last edited by Ardillaun; 06-05-2019 at 04:41.
06-05-2019, 04:41   #579
ILoveYourVibes

I don't watch football and even i know the answer to this one.

Because Irish teams are ****e.

European teams and games are shown less often etc plus language barrier.

Its like asking why do Irish people watch the BBC instead of RTE? You KNOW why. The Brits make great TV.

And if you are thinking 'Oh they think England is better than Ireland etc' Yes YES because you would have to be delusional think that Irish football was in any way on the same level as English football.

So if you LOVE good quality football you will want to watch good quality football the best quality etc. When you add in the language factor etc and the fact that we have the BBC you have your answer.

The REAL question is why watch football when you COULD be watching hurling?

Football is boring it's slow. Its not watchable. It was created by the English! And they are fantastic at it.

Hurling is wild fast and untamed! Like us! Its SAVAGE!

Last edited by ILoveYourVibes; 06-05-2019 at 04:49.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-05-2019, 04:51   #580
Ardillaun

The language reasons are gone for supporting Man U over the likes of Barcelona. You can watch all the top teams with commentary in English and the players are interchangeable as well. If you simply wanted the best over the last decade, as opposed to LOI, you could have cheered for Messi and Ronaldo. The EPL is emerging as a dominant league but that newfound quality does not explain why Irish people have watched it when it was mediocre by continental standards. In the past the excuse was that we had star players there - now we have to find another story.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 06-05-2019 at 04:58.
Thanks from:
06-05-2019, 04:55   #581
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
The language reasons are gone for supporting Man U over the likes of Barcelona. You can watch the best teams with commentary in English and the players are interchangeable as well. If you simply wanted the best, as opposed to LOI, you should have cheered for Messi and Ronaldo for years now.
Very true. Although i can't assess football quality I know nothing about it.

I would imagine language is the main reason for the preference over non English speaking teams.
06-05-2019, 05:35   #582
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I haven't a clue why I support Liverpool other than that my Dad is a Liverpool fan, as are most of my wider family. I have no idea why that is.

I don't try to justify it by family or other links to the city or indeed the cultural connection between Ireland and Liverpool and by the time I started supporting them, there were very few Irish players at the club and there haven't been many since.

Obviously enough, I don't have any problem with Irish people following teams from other countries, be it England, Scotland or wherever but some eejits take it too far. Heard one Manchester United fan saying he'd never set foot in Liverpool because Scousers are scum. I'm not sure that the fella has been to the UK, let alone the north west of England. Heard another one who I know to be local singing a United song in a put-on Mancunian accent one night, bell end.
06-05-2019, 06:27   #583
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
I don't watch football and even i know the answer to this one.

Because Irish teams are ****e.
Yet you get tens of thousands out to watch the Republic Of Ireland national team. Why not follow elite European nations if that's the logic?

You brought up hurling. What if your own county is ****e? Just follow Kilkenny or Waterford because they're better?
06-05-2019, 06:35   #584
Alicano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Ah that old chestnut. Gas how it's never Luton Town or Birmingham City even though the Irish flooded those places.
Luton Town fan here My folks lived there in the 60's.. Brother and Sister born there. Uncles attended school in Luton for a while. Think my Gran worked in Vauxhall for a bit too So yep. Luton Town all the way. Sorry if slightly off topic.
Thanks from:
06-05-2019, 06:36   #585
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicano View Post
Luton Town fan here My folks lived there in the 60's.. Brother and Sister born there. Uncles attended school in Luton for a while. Think my Gran worked in Vauxhall for a bit too So yep. Luton Town all the way. Sorry if slightly off topic.
Completely on topic and completely on point!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion