Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-07-2019, 23:03   #2071
Lady Spangles
Registered User
 
Lady Spangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 408
I really am from Liverpool and, if I must support a team, it'd be Liverpool.

However, I feel compelled to point out this is not just an Ireland thing. My older brother travelled around Thailand back in the late 90s and when he got back he was moaning about kids over there all supporting Manchester United and banging on to him about David Beckham (playing for Man U at that time). I have a friend who was born and raised in Norway and her and her whole family are Liverpool supporters. I have no idea why, but there it is. I remember my Dad saying once that, back in the 70s, Nottingham Forest was the team non-English people always seemed to support. These teams are inexplicably huge.
Lady Spangles is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-07-2019, 23:07   #2072
Bonniedog
Registered User
 
Bonniedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,706
There is very funny video on utube of Chinese West Ham supporters singing I'm forever Blowing Bubbles.


It's funny, but rather pathetic when you think of it.


Not making any associations of course!
Bonniedog is offline  
22-07-2019, 23:10   #2073
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
I grew up in the 80's , touring the countrys grounds as my dad played LOI B. He didnt go to LOI games or follow it. He was born (literally, in the flats on Galtymore Road) and raised in Drimnagh, so a stones throw from Richmond. He was a Chelsea fan all his life.

At some stage in the 80's on one of my yearly holidays to viist my mams side of the family in Germany (possibly while we were at Euro 88 when I was 7) my cousin (German, from Stuttgart, very close to the Neckar stadium at the time) gave me one of his Liverpool Jerseys (red Crown Paints). I've been a Liverpool fan since.


Ireland is a very cheap hop to England. Theres still plenty of other foreigners at games though. Always plenty of Norwegians in Liverpool.
Norwegians?
Maybe it's because they both have whinging accents
Edgware is offline  
22-07-2019, 23:15   #2074
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Spangles View Post
I really am from Liverpool and, if I must support a team, it'd be Liverpool.

However, I feel compelled to point out this is not just an Ireland thing. My older brother travelled around Thailand back in the late 90s and when he got back he was moaning about kids over there all supporting Manchester United and banging on to him about David Beckham (playing for Man U at that time). I have a friend who was born and raised in Norway and her and her whole family are Liverpool supporters. I have no idea why, but there it is. I remember my Dad saying once that, back in the 70s, Nottingham Forest was the team non-English people always seemed to support. These teams are inexplicably huge.
Nobody is denying that it happens all over the world, the Irish are just the worst for it while simultaneously calling themselves the best fans in the world and moaning about Irish football going backwards (newsflash that's happening because domestic football here is completely ignored and laughed at when they raise these issues I.e. Delaney). 800,000 foreigners go to EPL games, 120,000+ of these are Irish, 90,000 Norwegian, next country is on 50,000. The difference is the Norwegians also get 50,000 a week on average at the domestic games though, we're lucky to get into the teens. Standard isn't a factor here as Rovers have shown the past week so what's the issue? Norway population is only a couple hundred thousand more than ours so that's not it either. Its a simple one, we're far from the best fans in the world, we're among the worst and that's the inconvenient truth
D14Rugby is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-07-2019, 23:17   #2075
Lady Spangles
Registered User
 
Lady Spangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Nobody is denying that it happens all over the world, the Irish are just the worst for it while simultaneously calling themselves the best fans in the world and moaning about Irish football going backwards (newsflash that's happening because domestic football here is completely ignored and laughed at when they raise these issues I.e. Delaney). 800,000 foreigners go to EPL games, 120,000+ of these are Irish, 90,000 Norwegian, next country is on 50,000. The difference is the Norwegians also get 50,000 a week on average at the domestic games though, we're lucky to get into the teens. Standard isn't a factor here as Rovers have shown the past week so what's the issue? Norway population is only a couple hundred thousand more than ours so that's not it either. Its a simple one, we're far from the best fans in the world, we're among the worst and that's the inconvenient truth

I'll be honest and admit I find it difficult to care about football as a whole. But surely, if people are football fans, then it's okay for them to support both a local team and a large international team? I'm sorry if I sound naive here.
Lady Spangles is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-07-2019, 23:20   #2076
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Spangles View Post
I'll be honest and admit I find it difficult to care about football as a whole. But surely, if people are football fans, then it's okay for them to support both a local team and a large international team? I'm sorry if I sound naive here.
Yeah and it has been said many times by fans of LOI clubs by all means do that, the problem is Irish people completely ignore the local team part. By all means support Manchester United on the Sunday but also support Cork City on the Friday.
D14Rugby is offline  
Thanks from:
23-07-2019, 00:25   #2077
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
I'd say you're not invested in football if you just watch on tv.
Nonsense, sky make a fortune from Irish football fans BECAUSE there very deeply invested in football on tv. Football on tv is one of the biggest things Irish men have in common with other men
Greyfox is offline  
23-07-2019, 00:37   #2078
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Nonsense, sky make a fortune from Irish football fans BECAUSE there very deeply invested in football on tv. Football on tv is one of the biggest things Irish men have in common with other men
Spending money and time on something doesn't make you invested, not in football especially, it's emotional investment, people that just watch on TV don't have that nervous wreck of a week building up to a derby where if you work with a fan of the other team you won't talk to each other or the fact that losing an important game doesn't just sting for a few hours or get annoying on twitter, it ruins your week at least. Spending stupid money on sky and a few hours in the pub each weekend and maybe liking a few tweets isn't investment. Remortgaging your house and taking out personal loans to save your club, organising bus's to away games, offering to help on match day, that's investment.
D14Rugby is offline  
23-07-2019, 00:55   #2079
liatroimabu
Registered User
 
liatroimabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 61
TV is the main culprit here, outside of those living in the locality of an LOI team, the only access to club football was MOTD and in later years live premier league games on sky etc. So a parent starts watching motd as a kid back in the 70s/80s and then passes on whatever team they grew fond of to the next of kin.

Theres a reason Liverpool and Man united are the two biggest supported clubs in Ireland, look who was successful in the 80s and who was successful in the 90s and into the 00s.

That being said, if RTE gave a flying **** about LOI down through the years it would have a larger following, I don't think it ever will or ever would have overtaken the english support but it'd be a hell of a lot better than it is.

Just look at the build up of support/popularity over the past 10 years with social media when people can reliably follow teams without the need for RTE to give it to them. Imagine what it could have been like if people had any sort of readily available or reliable access to the games without actually being there over the past 30/40 years instead of just ten.
liatroimabu is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2019, 01:00   #2080
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Spending money and time on something doesn't make you invested, not in football especially, it's emotional investment, people that just watch on TV don't have that nervous wreck of a week building up to a derby where if you work with a fan of the other team you won't talk to each other or the fact that losing an important game doesn't just sting for a few hours or get annoying on twitter, it ruins your week at least. Spending stupid money on sky and a few hours in the pub each weekend and maybe liking a few tweets isn't investment. Remortgaging your house and taking out personal loans to save your club, organising bus's to away games, offering to help on match day, that's investment.
Irish fans of the EPL have an obvious emotional investment in there English team, this can be clearly seen by the hours they spend each week talking about there club and listening to/reading analysis, they dont just watch the match. The Liverpool/Man Utd rivalry is very strong in Ireland, there's definitely been cases of fans of the losing team trying to avoid fans of the other team after a loss. It's not the same level of investment but it's still investment.
Greyfox is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2019, 01:04   #2081
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Irish fans of the EPL have an obvious emotional investment in there English team, this can be clearly seen by the hours they spend each week talking about there club and listening to/reading analysis, they dont just watch the match. The Liverpool/Man Utd rivalry is very strong in Ireland, there's definitely been cases of fans of the losing team trying to avoid fans of the other team after a loss. It's not the same level of investment but it's still investment.
Pull the other one, the rivalry is so strong they watch the match in the same pub... And that's not emotional investment that's time and it's barely even that.
D14Rugby is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2019, 11:04   #2082
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Pull the other one, the rivalry is so strong they watch the match in the same pub... And that's not emotional investment that's time and it's barely even that.
And that's a good thing, you should be able to watch a match in a pub with rival fans. The people who can't are usually the football fans who enjoy causing trouble and getting into fights and the people who do this are idiots rather than football fans.

It's emotional investment, even a blind man would be able to tell you this.
When you see a grown man shout at football on a tv screen that IS an emotional reaction. When a man gets irritated by what his wife says after his team loses or when a guy spends all evening talking about his team there all examples of emotional investment. I appreciate that you cant understand why these 3 things can happen to a EPL fan but everyone knows that they do happen.
Greyfox is offline  
Thanks from:
23-07-2019, 11:22   #2083
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
And that's a good thing, you should be able to watch a match in a pub with rival fans. The people who can't are usually the football fans who enjoy causing trouble and getting into fights and the people who do this are idiots rather than football fans.

It's emotional investment, even a blind man would be able to tell you this.
When you see a grown man shout at football on a tv screen that IS an emotional reaction. When a man gets irritated by what his wife says after his team loses or when a guy spends all evening talking about his team there all examples of emotional investment. I appreciate that you cant understand why these 3 things can happen to a EPL fan but everyone knows that they do happen.
Who mentioned anything about trouble? It's about the fact you can't stand to see their faces if the unthinkable happens and they score or win. Same principle as going to the pub with your mates and not with dickheads you can't stand.

It's not emotional investment, to even dare put it in the same bracket as people that follow their own local club week in week out through good and bad is quite frankly insulting. Following your local team is a marriage of love and passion, following an EPL team is one of convenience.
D14Rugby is offline  
Thanks from:
23-07-2019, 11:54   #2084
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,217
Who are WE playing in our first game? FFS
Edgware is offline  
23-07-2019, 12:26   #2085
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Who mentioned anything about trouble? It's about the fact you can't stand to see their faces if the unthinkable happens and they score or win. Same principle as going to the pub with your mates and not with dickheads you can't stand.

It's not emotional investment, to even dare put it in the same bracket as people that follow their own local club week in week out through good and bad is quite frankly insulting. Following your local team is a marriage of love and passion, following an EPL team is one of convenience.
Yes ideally you'd rather not watch with rival fans but people have mates that support the other team and sometimes your in a position where you end up watching a match with a friend, you should be able to sit in a pub with them if the situation arises. Of course it's emotional investment and I do dare, loads of EPL fans in Ireland love there team just as much as you love your team. We don't choose who we fall in love with and loads of Irish people have fallen in love with an EPL team. People don't all like the same thing.
Greyfox is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet