Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-06-2019, 16:25   #1771
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniedog View Post
Fair enough, if you travel to see them physically, that's your thing.

More referring to people who just watch sport on TV.

You obviously know yourself, there is no comparison.

Anyone at the Dubs/Galway or Bohs/Rovers games were not just passive consumers. They were part of something. If no one went, then we might as well all be watching video games!
There's no comparison between watching your own team live and watching them on TV.

Same with watching a team I don't support. I'd much rather do that live than on TV.

But I'd still prefer to watch my team on TV than a team I don't support live.

Sometimes I do both. But I disagree that a local live game is automatically better than something you can watch on TV. It comes down to personal preference and I'd prefer to watch the team I support on TV
8-10 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-06-2019, 23:29   #1772
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by galwayllm View Post
Why do Irish people follow English golfers like Rory Mcbottler?


See it can be said for all sports?
If your on about Rory Mc Ilroy who has won numerous majors and more than likely will win numerous more as a bottler.

You must have high standards?
dundalkfc10 is offline  
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 14:20   #1773
SHOVELLER
Registered User
 
SHOVELLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Spur View Post
So what have we actually got here in this thread?
Some folk criticising other folk based on their sports team choices.
It was never going to go well was it?

People will like what they like, for their own reasons and and some other people will not understand - happens all the time across the board.

For what its worth I've renewed my Tottenham Hotspur season ticket

How much does that cost?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
A fan is a person who supports a particular football team, if you look in the dictionary there's nothing in there about it having to be a local team or that your required to go to a certain number of matches each year. Because you prefer live football you think everyone should but some people prefer watching football on tv, people enjoy different things. You cant expect everyone to pay to watch live football as not every football fan is going to think it offers value for money. To some football fans supporting your community isnt that important to them.

I started supporting my team simply because they played lovely football and they had players that could do amazing things and yes having some sort of success is a requirement as to get enjoyment from football, you need highs to get you through the lows. I don't particularly like De Bruyne but he can do things LOI players cant do, when he plays well its worth paying money to watch him play, when you get use to watching football at the highest level its becomes hard to know wheter or not a LOI match is worth the admission price. The number 1 reason to watch football is enjoyment and lots of EPL fans dont know wheter or not they would enjoy LOI football. Barstoolers are not brainwashed, there just use to a higher standard of football.

Yes the majority will be from Valencia, but the minority are welcome at the club. Does any club in the world have signs up saying locals only? Football has changed, there may of been a time when it was about supporting your community but that's changed. Clubs are just businesses looking to get bigger, there there to make a profit. If a Japanese man goes to a LOI match the club will be happy to take his money and hope that he tells his Japanese friends about it when he goes home. If he was to become a Rovers fan they would be delighted.

Why would would anyone look in a dictionary? You're missing the point in a staggering way. Barstoolers are brainwashed. That is why they "support" all of the same teams who just happen to be always successful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
You pay for Sky/BT sports and they benefit financially too. But it's more than just financial support you give. There's a sense of community, discussions you have with work colleagues etc. Hanging flags, stickers on your car, social media

I feel a lot of pride supporting my club, particularly the past couple of
seasons

Truly that is embarrassing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
I'll still support them. My club isn't caninteely at all. You don't own something by proximity to where you happen to be living at a point in time. I'd have had about 10 different clubs in different countries if that was the case.

Yes I support Liverpool. They are my team, i.e. the club I watch every game of, feel pride in and the club that bring me joy.

Yes I picked them, so what? I enjoy being a supporter. It's great, and especially right now. But we've sunk like a stone before and it's still been enjoyable

I hope you enjoy whatever it is you're interested in. I just find it curious that you care so much about when brings me joy and to the point of praying to god that my team so badly to somehow teach me a lesson I guess? Why do you care so much about who I support or why? My mentality is simply each to their own, we're all different with different interests.

I'm sorry mate but there's no rules on who to support and personally I have no problem with people changing clubs they support, that might be for you and more power to you but I'm not going to be changing who I support no matter where they end up so pray away.

The fact that you actually said you have no problem with people changing clubs they support sums up your incredible lack of knowledge of football culture.



Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
We are not very good at supporting our own in this country. That is the bottom line. The OP could equally ask why do Irish people buy so much online from foreign companies. Why do we even import 72,000 tonnes of potatoes a year, much of them from Britain? (easily verified by google). If we cannot grow our own spuds what hope is there of watching our own soccer players instead of foreigners?

This barstool logic of movies, clothes and spuds being from other countries as any kind of argument is beyond inane.

To answer the original thread question the reason is as mentioned an inferiority complex, shame of being Irish, being part of a winning culture along with others in a pub and a complete and utter lack of understanding of the game and fan culture.
SHOVELLER is offline  
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 15:51   #1774
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post


Truly that is embarrassing.
Funny, I don't feel embarrassed in the slightest! As I say, pride is what I feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
The fact that you actually said you have no problem with people changing clubs they support sums up your incredible lack of knowledge of football culture.
Who am I to judge them for changing? It's up to them, I would never do it personally but each to their own. Why do you care who I support?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
To answer the original thread question the reason is as mentioned an inferiority complex, shame of being Irish, being part of a winning culture along with others in a pub and a complete and utter lack of understanding of the game and fan culture.
I feel no shame in being Irish, or an inferiority complex. Part of a winning culture is terrific for sure, it's part of why I enjoy watching my team. I feel I understand the game well and I feel I understand fan culture in England well, but specific to the top league in England where my team plays. I would have much less of an understanding of the game and fan culture in the lower leagues or with the LOI, sure.

I support my team no matter what. To me that's what fans should do. But I have no issues with others experiencing the game as they wish. Do I like tourists going to Anfield and taking selfies? It's cringey, but if that's what brings them joy then more power to them. Soccer is a great medium and can be escapism for many people. I'm glad it exists and if people enjoy supporting their team in whatever way they want to then that's great in my book! The more people watching the better.
8-10 is offline  
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 15:57   #1775
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Why would would anyone look in a dictionary? You're missing the point in a staggering way. Barstoolers are brainwashed. That is why they "support" all of the same teams who just happen to be always successful.
Your coming up with definitions out of thin air so I'm just pointing out that your definiteions have no basis in reality. I'm not missing the point, im pointing out the fact that even though clubs are founded with an area in mind there is never anything in place stating that if your not from the area your not welcome to support the club, no club is going to turn away fans for living too far away so if you don't feel a connection with your local team your free to find a team that you can feel a connection with.

Barstoolers are not brainwashed, they simply would rather watch an amazing team on tv rather then watch an ordinary team live. The fact is some people find it easier to fall in love with a team on tv as when its on tv its easier to access, you just cant accept the fact that people are different and not everyone has the same opinion as you. Nothing wrong with supporting a succesful team, again people are free to do what they enjoy. If they support a local team as well they can get the best of both worlds.
Greyfox is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 16:09   #1776
Hamsterchops
Registered User
 
Hamsterchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,262
Our next door neighbour supports ManU, he also has a season ticket and they make regular trips over with friends.
They live and breath football, and why not ......

I couldn't be bothered though.
Hamsterchops is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 16:42   #1777
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
Our next door neighbour supports ManU, he also has a season ticket and they make regular trips over with friends.
They live and breath football, and why not ......

I couldn't be bothered though.
That will prob stop now they are ****e again
dundalkfc10 is offline  
18-06-2019, 16:47   #1778
georgewickstaff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
That will prob stop now they are ****e again
A dundalk "fan" mocking other supporters for their glory hunting. One man and his dog watching Dundalk a few years ago. Now its about 200 and a dog.

Wonder when it will revert to normal levels for you?
georgewickstaff is offline  
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 17:36   #1779
Bowie
Jean Genie
 
Bowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Listen I'm not anti English by any means , i follow the Premier League and watch every game I can.

But I don't support any particular team. I follow St Pats.


That's my Dad's team. An Irish team.
Well they are the best team.

I think it's coverage. I know many Pat's supporters who would also support Man. UTD or Liverpool mainly. The coverage these teams get makes following them an almost daily event.

I was out with a mate from Glasgow a few years back and a lad was giving him a hard time commenting that nobody supports local teams, (him with a Celtic top on). "I'm from Glasgow!"
Bowie is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 23:33   #1780
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewickstaff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
That will prob stop now they are ****e again
A dundalk "fan" mocking other supporters for their glory hunting. One man and his dog watching Dundalk a few years ago. Now its about 200 and a dog.

Wonder when it will revert to normal levels for you?
We have had an average of over 1,000 every season (900) in 2012 for about 15 years (including Div 1). Averaging arounf 2500 now. For a population of 30,000 that's good going.

Back in your box! It was a joke
dundalkfc10 is offline  
Thanks from:
20-06-2019, 19:10   #1781
SHOVELLER
Registered User
 
SHOVELLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Your coming up with definitions out of thin air so I'm just pointing out that your definiteions have no basis in reality. I'm not missing the point, im pointing out the fact that even though clubs are founded with an area in mind there is never anything in place stating that if your not from the area your not welcome to support the club, no club is going to turn away fans for living too far away so if you don't feel a connection with your local team your free to find a team that you can feel a connection with.

Barstoolers are not brainwashed, they simply would rather watch an amazing team on tv rather then watch an ordinary team live. The fact is some people find it easier to fall in love with a team on tv as when its on tv its easier to access, you just cant accept the fact that people are different and not everyone has the same opinion as you. Nothing wrong with supporting a succesful team, again people are free to do what they enjoy. If they support a local team as well they can get the best of both worlds.

Reality is going to games in your own country. Ok if barstools are not brainwashed why don't they "support" hartlepool??


Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Funny, I don't feel embarrassed in the slightest! As I say, pride is what I feel



Who am I to judge them for changing? It's up to them, I would never do it personally but each to their own. Why do you care who I support?




I feel no shame in being Irish, or an inferiority complex. Part of a winning culture is terrific for sure, it's part of why I enjoy watching my team. I feel I understand the game well and I feel I understand fan culture in England well, but specific to the top league in England where my team plays. I would have much less of an understanding of the game and fan culture in the lower leagues or with the LOI, sure.

I support my team no matter what. To me that's what fans should do. But I have no issues with others experiencing the game as they wish. Do I like tourists going to Anfield and taking selfies? It's cringey, but if that's what brings them joy then more power to them. Soccer is a great medium and can be escapism for many people. I'm glad it exists and if people enjoy supporting their team in whatever way they want to then that's great in my book! The more people watching the better.
It is irrelevant who you "support" as you are not a football fan. Just someone who follows everybody else. I get it. It is convenient.
SHOVELLER is offline  
20-06-2019, 20:45   #1782
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Reality is going to games in your own country. Ok if barstools are not brainwashed why don't they "support" hartlepool??
No it's not, reality is doing the things you love and not listening to people who talk nonsense. Reality is understanding people are different and that watching football is an entertainment product.

Because hartlepool don't have any great players and when your young it's great players that make you fall in love with a team. Reality is EPL teams make life more enjoyable for most football fans in Ireland, there good for Irish people.

If your a football fan you enjoy watching football at the highest level, and if your a football fan your going to get emotionally invested in the result so supporting a great team outside Ireland is perfectly normal if your a real football fan
Greyfox is offline  
20-06-2019, 21:02   #1783
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
It is irrelevant who you "support" as you are not a football fan.
What about the players who play for your club and also support an EPL team, I suppose there also not football fans.
Greyfox is offline  
20-06-2019, 21:23   #1784
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 26,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
If your a football fan you enjoy watching football at the highest level, and if your a football fan your going to get emotionally invested in the result so supporting a great team outside Ireland is perfectly normal if your a real football fan
I know this is bad and all but for the love of Jesus it's YOU'RE. You are = you're.
Omackeral is offline  
Thanks from:
20-06-2019, 21:33   #1785
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
It is irrelevant who you "support" as you are not a football fan. Just someone who follows everybody else. I get it. It is convenient.
I don't get it. I'm a Liverpool fan. They are a football team

Get over yourself
8-10 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet